Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Support Requests Is there a way to search Wikia for wikis on the basis of number of characters in the URL?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4274 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

For example, I know of w:c:DC (DC Comics) and w:c:PW (Picture Wars) as being rare two-character URLs. This is because now, the policy for creating Wikis is that they must have a 3-character minimum.

I'm not sure why these two have 2, perhaps they might've been made prior to Wikia choosing to instate the 3-char min policy or something?

Anyway I was wondering if there was some kind of search function where I could search to find other wikis which also have two characters in the URL? Or ones that have 3 characters?

I guess I just have an interest in acronyms/initialisms and conciseness and out of curiosity would love to know of them all on this basis as opposed to other forms of organization like genre. +Yc 02:38, August 6, 2012 (UTC)

I don't know of such a pre-existing convenient feature, but I do know that you can query the API to retrieve this kind of information. This requires a tiny bit of technical expertise though. For example, I went to
http://community.wikia.com/api.php?action=query&list=wkdomains&wkfrom=1&wkto=1000
to retrieve a list of the first 1000 wikis. Then, I copy/pasted all of that into Notepad++, and did a regex search for >..\.wikia\.com (find all occurances of >**.wikia.com -- these will be wikis that have 2-char urls). I found 8 wikis out of 1000: w:c:cm, w:c:pc, w:c:ib, w:c:qb, w:c:24, w:c:vb, w:c:hh, w:c:zb. With some JavaScript knowledge, you could write a user script to more or less automate this process I suppose. Not that I personally have the time or desire to build such a tool, I'm just saying that you could do so if you want to. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 03:20 UTC, Mon, 06 August 2012