Wikia

Community Central

Is there a way to search Wikia for wikis on the basis of number of characters in the URL?

93,743pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Support Requests Is there a way to search Wikia for wikis on the basis of number of characters in the URL?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 808 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

For example, I know of w:c:DC (DC Comics) and w:c:PW (Picture Wars) as being rare two-character URLs. This is because now, the policy for creating Wikis is that they must have a 3-character minimum.

I'm not sure why these two have 2, perhaps they might've been made prior to Wikia choosing to instate the 3-char min policy or something?

Anyway I was wondering if there was some kind of search function where I could search to find other wikis which also have two characters in the URL? Or ones that have 3 characters?

I guess I just have an interest in acronyms/initialisms and conciseness and out of curiosity would love to know of them all on this basis as opposed to other forms of organization like genre. +Yc 02:38, August 6, 2012 (UTC)

I don't know of such a pre-existing convenient feature, but I do know that you can query the API to retrieve this kind of information. This requires a tiny bit of technical expertise though. For example, I went to
http://community.wikia.com/api.php?action=query&list=wkdomains&wkfrom=1&wkto=1000
to retrieve a list of the first 1000 wikis. Then, I copy/pasted all of that into Notepad++, and did a regex search for >..\.wikia\.com (find all occurances of >**.wikia.com -- these will be wikis that have 2-char urls). I found 8 wikis out of 1000: w:c:cm, w:c:pc, w:c:ib, w:c:qb, w:c:24, w:c:vb, w:c:hh, w:c:zb. With some JavaScript knowledge, you could write a user script to more or less automate this process I suppose. Not that I personally have the time or desire to build such a tool, I'm just saying that you could do so if you want to. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 03:20 UTC, Mon, 06 August 2012
I believe the full list of all wikis that only consist of 2 names (not counting the ones that have a different language prefix) are c:cm, c:pc, c:ib, c:qb, c:24, c:vb, c:hh, c:pr, c:u2, c:oc, c:oz, c:ei, c:fx, c:dj, c:xm, c:dc, c:sy, c:mu, c:ck, c:f1, c:ed, c:nt, c:p2, c:fi, c:ja, c:es, c:d8, c:zh, c:30, c:ai, c:rv, c:pt, c:fa, c:ca, c:go, c:ps, c:oi, c:wa, c:qi, c:ev, c:ec, c:pw, c:vs, c:bi, c:ek, c:er, c:ko, c:im, c:fb, c:no, c:et, c:cp, c:hu, c:os, c:bg, c:3d, c:ro, c:ar, c:de, c:fr, c:lt, c:on, and c:vi. 25px-Logo.svg.png 25px-TyA-pony.png 03:34, August 6, 2012 (UTC)

Notepad ++ sounds pretty interesting. Awesome list TyA, I am wondering how you got it, are they listed in order of creation? Also I am only now realizing that the "w:" is unnecessary in links, did not know you could just use "c:" with the same effect as "w:c:", this will make editing more efficient in the future :) Since I'm bored, gonna alphabetize too, thanks for your help guys! Having done this, it appears there are many permutations remaining which some communities might utilize. Checking a list like this could be a fast way of knowing, it just makes me wonder if there's a way to apply for them based on the 3 char min. Anyone know when it was instituted? +Yc 13:45, August 7, 2012 (UTC)

#

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K