Community Central
Register
Community Central
Forums: Index Help desk Links - spaces vs underscores
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 6009 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Is there any way to remake spaces into underscores? Let's say I have a template which says "ExampleWiki has more on [http://www.example.com/wiki/{{{1|{{PAGENAMEE}}}}} {{{2|{{{1|{{PAGENAME}}}}}}}}]", and there are many new users who don't get this underscore thing who write for example "allen wrenches" as first parameter, and not "allen_wrenches", thus breaking the template and leaves "Example wiki has more on wrenches allen wrenches", linking to just "Allen". Is there any way to convert the spaces to underscores? Smiddle 17:36, 14 December 2006 (UTC)

Maybe you could do a any: interwiki link, with the URL http://$1 or something. Smiddle 17:40, 14 December 2006 (UTC)

Use the {{urlencode:...}} parser function. metaWikipedia:Help:Magic words#Namespaces_and_URLs --Ciencia Al Poder ¿Algo que decir? 21:04, 14 December 2006 (UTC)
Also, you can use {{PAGENAMEE}} -> Links_-_spaces_vs_underscores (see m:Help:Magic_words). --Splarka (talk) 03:14, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
I know about PAGENAMEE works when template is blank, and localurl works when linking to self. I'll try urlencode then. Thanks! Smiddle 16:41, 15 December 2006 (UTC)

Made it !

I just made a template that seems to work well with most wikis but not all. To works, they must have /wiki/ between the server name and the page name. It use magic word even though the page dont exist locally. The urlencode did not worked with most wikis i've tested it because the + seems to be a valid caracther there and is not replace by a space by the targetted wiki.

To see it, it's there : c:fr.3d:modèle:Interwiki (but it's in french). This thing might be good for wikis not linked many times. If you link often to a perticular wiki or if the wiki you want to link often is not metting the above requirement, the only solution is to ask for a real interwiki to be put in place. TulipVorlax 03:28, 6 October 2007 (UTC)

localurl is, intuitively, for local URLs (on the same wiki, so if the articlepath is /wiki/ then it will use that, locally)... Anyway, as said before, you can use plusses for spaces/underscores with the long ugly URL (plusses used in article names are then URL encoded). In such cases, urlencode works. --Splarka (talk) <Staff> 08:08, 6 October 2007 (UTC)