This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
Is there a known reason that our pages (at sryth.wikia.com) would be taking unusually long to load? I counted over 15 seconds to load Recent Changes a moment ago. Psychoadept (talk) 05:48, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Might depend on your internet speed. Or do you have any extensions enabled? --(Talk to me) 05:58, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
- No special extensions, and other pages take a couple of seconds at most. The load times at Wikia seem to be related to page length, but our pages are not exceptionally long. The only one that might have an excuse for taking a while is Quest List, which transcludes massive amounts of content. Psychoadept (talk) 06:04, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Added: it also seems to be worse when I'm publishing an edit than when I'm just viewing a page. Psychoadept (talk) 06:09, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
- I just went to your wiki and the speed is normal for me. --(Talk to me) 06:11, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Check your internet subscription, your maybe put on smallband
- What brower do you use? Try another one, if this is faster it's your browser. If you only have 1 browser instal another ones (chrome, firefox, internet explore). Still problems, than delete all browser and reinstal than. If this fix it you probaly installed to many add-ons.
- Go to 
- If your speed is slower than 50% of the speed when no other internet use processes are running (msn, other browsers etc..) Than you might have an bittower-process or an virus running on your pc.
- For the bittower process check what bittowers you have and delete them. Normaly with that low internet connection you probaly have more than 1 installed. If you don't have bittower it's probaly an virus.
- For virusses I recommand an full system scan. If no virusses are detected go to the last step:
- Now if all above step did not fix you problem than you have an hugh problem. Than it can only be an system error or an virus that can't be detected. You can try an virus scan in linux but that would only make it complex. I recommand an system reset. Put everything to factory settings. WARNING copy all your files to an external hard drive!!! This proess will delete everything on your pc. This will also delete all programmas than are installed. So if you have an local game installed all your process will be lost.
- If you don't want to do the above step I recommand to let an PC technician look add it.
- Just remembered something. Clear your browsers entire history and see or do what they said above. --(Talk to me) 12:27, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
If you are on Firefox and have the Firebug extension, disable it. There's some major issue with Firebug and Wikia which makes pages load extremely slow and act very sluggish even when loaded. --Callofduty4 (talk) 14:46, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
- There's not a virus. It happens on multiple computers in multiple locations (home network and major university network) with multiple browsers. In the case of Recent Changes, it may be because I have my preferences set to show the maximum number of results. It's definitely faster if I lower the number. In any case, if there's nothing specific going on with Wikia I won't worry about it. It's annoying but not the end of the world. Psychoadept (talk) 20:39, August 8, 2012 (UTC)
There could be some other reasons than the internet/browser performance: as an example, we may slow down when Wikia's doing a technical maintenance. Or sometimes, it can also be an optimization problem of system stuffs. Remind the search function update of last spring. Wikia applied a completely new way of searching and at the beginning, the search speed was a serious problem.
Just like you, I find Wikia wikis are generally too slow. I'm using korean high-speed internet service but I'm not that satisfied with Wikia surfing speed. I guess they should be slow, because of all of original and complicated features they have. Of course it's a good point that we have something that wikis outside don't have, but I would like Wikia developers to care more about the latency when they are updating something. Cafeinlove msg 2012/8/9, 08:33 (KST)
- This may be useful: . According to the analysis, there's nothing seriously wrong with the site. I also loaded it up in Chrome with the Network inspector running. It takes the server around 2 seconds for it to give me the HTML, most of the JS and CSS loads in parallel up to about 4 seconds when everything except the ads are ready. I did a cold run of the site as well, that took me 8 seconds until the OnLoad event fired (page visible and usable), 16 until the spotlights and ads stopped loading; you aren't using "clear cache on browser exit" or any enhanced privacy settings like that, right? Those will really hurt. Another possibility is that you are simply too geographically distance from Wikia's servers; you can try opening a command prompt (on Windows) and typing
tracert wikia.comto see how far away they are from you. Lunarity 05:53, August 9, 2012 (UTC)