Community Central

Need Help Creating a Bot

93,781pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Support Requests Need Help Creating a Bot
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 914 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Hey community, I need help creating a wiki bot (whoops) for the Dark Souls Wiki. I need a bot to link and image that appears on multiple pages to a certain page. For example, if example_img.png was on multiple pages, I'd like to make all of the images of this kind on the wiki link to the page Example. Unfortunately, I'm fairly noob at this sort of thing and programming, so I need a lot of help! :D Fingyer!Talk!Dark Souls! 03:03, April 20, 2012 (UTC)

You probably want Auto Wiki Browser (wikipedia:wikipedia:AWB). It does a lot of find & replace edits. I'll be glad to help if necessary, but basically you'll want to find and replace like this:

Find:

[[File:example_img.png

Replace:

[[File:example_img.png|link=Example

Cat 03:37, April 20, 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for the reply! Now I know what to put into the bot's code, I need help actually setting a bot up! I asked Special:Contact, and they told me I should ask around community central. I read Help:Bots, but I still need help :P. So I'd love it if you could guide me through some sort of simple process :). Fingyer!Talk!Dark Souls! 08:56, April 20, 2012 (UTC)

To setup AWB to use on your wiki....

1. Press Ctrl + P to open the Preferences box
  2. Navigate to the "Site" tab and for the Project, click Wikia. And for the sitename, type in "darksouls". Click OK.
  3. Next go to File -> Login/Profiles. In the quick login section, type in your username and password and press login. This will log you into the wiki.
  4. To setup the Find and Replaces, On the "Options" tab under the "Find and replace" subheader, you'll find an "Enabled" checkbox. Check that and then click the "Normal settings" button. This will open the "Find & Replace" window.
  5. Put what you want to find into the find field and what it's to be replaced with in the Replace with field. Example.
  6. Then go to the "Start" section and type in an edit summary in the "Summary" box. Then press the "Start" button to start it. After it loads a page, you'll need to press save if there was any changes.

Let us know if you need anymore help. :) 25px-Logo.svg.png 25px-TyA-pony.png 14:59, April 21, 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, I'm well on my way now, just a question - do I need a bot account to make this amount of edits? Seeing as if I use my account it may flood the recent history? Well, I guess it's not too many, but if it were a large edit, would I need to? Fingyer!Talk!Dark Souls! 11:31, April 24, 2012 (UTC)

Well, I'm not too sure about the Bot stuff, but it's best to create a new account and contact Wikia about giving your bot a flag, as you never know when you'll want to make a big edit spree with your bot! ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~

You don't need a bot flag to make the edits, AWB is designed to be semi-automated, so you might decide that a small amount of edits isn't worth hiding from RecentChanges -- RandomTime 11:59, April 24, 2012 (UTC)

Apologies for the misunderstanding; I meant that if you were going to go through the work of getting AWB working, you might as well have a dedicated account for it, in case you or other users want to use it in the future. Of course, I'm not too versed in bot usage, so I'm not sure of the impacts of another one on Wikia. Sorry about that >_> ~ Demise101 ♥ Lets Talk! ♥ Blogs! ~

Thanks for your input anyways! :D I've got AWB working now and I feel like some sort of wiki-boss. Fingyer!Talk!Dark Souls! 12:43, April 24, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki