Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 30: Line 30:

: Hmmm, that's very interesting to know how Wikia increases gradually the amount of ads on the wiki depending on how large it is. That way people creating a new wiki don't get annoyed with so many ads, and when they grow and get more ads they cannot move their wiki from Wikia. --[[User:Ciencia Al Poder|<span style="color:red;" title="Cuz links to nonexistant categories should remain red, per consistency :P">Category:Ciencia Al Poder</span>]] ([[User talk:Ciencia Al Poder|talk]]) <sup>-[[w:c:es.pokemon|WikiDex]]</sup> 21:28, March 7, 2012 (UTC)

: Hmmm, that's very interesting to know how Wikia increases gradually the amount of ads on the wiki depending on how large it is. That way people creating a new wiki don't get annoyed with so many ads, and when they grow and get more ads they cannot move their wiki from Wikia. --[[User:Ciencia Al Poder|<span style="color:red;" title="Cuz links to nonexistant categories should remain red, per consistency :P">Category:Ciencia Al Poder</span>]] ([[User talk:Ciencia Al Poder|talk]]) <sup>-[[w:c:es.pokemon|WikiDex]]</sup> 21:28, March 7, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
::I usually agree with you Ciencia, but size does not prevent a wiki from moving. When Wowpedia was created from WoWWiki, it was one of the largest wikis in the world. Advertising wasn't really the reason they moved.
  +
::Also, I have little sympathy for users who lurk and don't log in. I admin a very, very large wiki and the amount of ads for logged in users is minimal. Wikia is still a business and although they allow anonymous edits (which I think is not necessary), they need to have some motivator for registering. --&nbsp;[[User:Fandyllic|<span style="border-bottom:1px dotted; cursor:help;" title="Who?">Fandyllic</span>]]<small> ([[User talk:Fandyllic|talk]] &middot; [[Special:Contributions/Fandyllic|contr]])</small> 9 Mar 2012 12:47 PM Pacific

Revision as of 20:47, 9 March 2012

Forums: Index General Discussion Our content aggressively exposes user to advertising
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4424 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

This is what i wrote today to wikia support, anyone who is with me, please raise your voice, I am extremely disappointed with this service.

Greetings,

Thank you for giving me opportunity to create a game wikia of Crusader Kings II.
Though if I knew your advertising exploit I would have never created it.

The moment my wiki became popular, and more users came in, you have saturated all the pages with advertising and flashing banners. I have counted 7 spots where unregistered user is exposed to your flashing advertising, completely killing the feel of the wiki. This is outrageous, you even change the background image of the wiki, which I set up, to advertisement background!

There is a rising amount of complaints from my users on forums, or from newcomers, that it is completely distracting and they think it is me, admin, who is exploiting them with this wiki because of advertising.

Something must be done on this issue or I will respectfully remove thewiki and move the content to a private hosting.

When creating wiki here, I have never thought that you exposed an unregistered user to such an aggressive advertising, using our content.

Please let me know what can be done, thank you.—This unsigned comment is by Akvilonn (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.

Wikia wikis cannot be removed once created: if you move to a different host, the local copy will remain. TK999 19:42, February 29, 2012 (UTC)

Can give some links? I believed every wiki has the same amount of advertisments... leviathan_89 00:31, 1 March, 2012 (UTC)

Correct. Anyways, there's not much you can do about the ads. Cat 02:14, March 1, 2012 (UTC)
Not from what I see. Ad's are increased at some point around 1500 to 2000 articles. Ghostbusters Wiki as I remember got a shot in the arm at some point around there. Little wikis don't get ads like the larger wikis. Go to (signed out) SilverHawks Wiki, then visit Ghostbusters Wiki. Note that the following ads are gone on Silverhawks Wiki: The right top corner vid/square ad(s), and the bottom 2 square ads. The reasons could be that there are no interested sponsors or the content is so small on Silverhawks wiki, that it doesn't cost much to maintain therefore it needs less ads. I remember a while back I emailed Wikia about this 50/50 skin ad on Ghostbusters Wiki, and basically they said that they needed to, to pay for wiki. The ad was up a week by the way.  Devilmanozzy (Talk Page)  02:44, March 1, 2012 (UTC)

You could simply ask the users to create an account. That's actually the reason I created mine back in the day; to get away from the advertisements. Shotrocket6 14:42, March 7, 2012 (UTC)

Hmmm, that's very interesting to know how Wikia increases gradually the amount of ads on the wiki depending on how large it is. That way people creating a new wiki don't get annoyed with so many ads, and when they grow and get more ads they cannot move their wiki from Wikia. --Category:Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 21:28, March 7, 2012 (UTC)
I usually agree with you Ciencia, but size does not prevent a wiki from moving. When Wowpedia was created from WoWWiki, it was one of the largest wikis in the world. Advertising wasn't really the reason they moved.
Also, I have little sympathy for users who lurk and don't log in. I admin a very, very large wiki and the amount of ads for logged in users is minimal. Wikia is still a business and although they allow anonymous edits (which I think is not necessary), they need to have some motivator for registering. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 9 Mar 2012 12:47 PM Pacific