Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index General Discussion Problem with another wiki
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4274 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I created the Baby Daddy wiki a few months ago and worked on building it up. Later, someone started editing on it too, and through them I learned there was another Baby Daddy wiki. I decided to check it out to make sure information from my wiki wasn't being copied over there because I've had a problem with that on another wiki in the past.

I found the main page had been copied from my wiki, and since there was no active admin at the time, I contacted the person who did it and asked if they could change it back to what it had originally been. They did, and I thought that was the end of it. I checked the wiki again sometime later and found a character page had been copied from my wiki to that wiki. I explained the situation to an admin and asked if they could revert the edit, but they replied saying they saw no problem with it since the pages looked different, then they deleted the thread.

I reverted the edit myself after that, but the same admin changed it back. Anyway, should I contact a different admin about the problem, or am I just (for lack of a better phrase) making a mountain out of a molehill? I do have proof that the page was copied from my wiki, but the problem is, before I knew it was copied over there, I continued editing the page on my wiki, so the pages look different now. I'd really appreciate someone else's opinion on the matter.

Thank you in advance. ThatSparkle (talk) 22:11, August 3, 2012 (UTC)

Text on Wikia is licensed CC-BY-SA, which means that 1) anyone has a right to copy content from a Wikia wiki as long as they 2) properly attribute it to the source. See Community Central:Licensing for further details. What you should be doing is not asking people to change the page, but rather, asking them to attribute copied content properly (because it's already established that there's nothing wrong with copying). You could attribute it yourself, or ask another admin of that wiki to attribute it. If they refuse to attribute it and won't let you do so, then they are violating the CC-BY-SA license -- in that case, you would send an email to Wikia staff at Special:Contact. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 22:29 UTC, Fri, 03 August 2012
Thank you for the reply and links! So I would just put something similar to what was on the licensing page (This article uses material from the so-and-so article on the so-and-so wiki at Wikia and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License.)? I suppose it doesn't matter where to place it on the page either? I'll try to ask the other admin, but they are rarely active, so maybe I'll try it myself or attempt to ask the other admin.
Thank you again. ThatSparkle (talk) 23:05, August 3, 2012 (UTC)
Yes, you can use a message just like that, typically at the bottom of the article. Make sure that it has a link to 1) the original article and 2) w:Wikia:Licensing. For example, you could make a template similar to the commonly used {{wikipedia}} template.
As a sidenote, if you ever want to do any copying in the future, please don't copy/paste, use the Special:Export and Special:Import tools instead. See Help:Exporting pages for more information. Special:Export is great because you can export a collection of pages, making it fast. Also, you can maintain the list of authors (see Help:Page history) of the article, which would otherwise be lost if you had just copy/pasted. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 23:52 UTC, Fri, 03 August 2012
Thank you! And yeah, I was going to put it on the bottom, just wanted to make sure, and I will link both the original page and the licensing.
This page uses material from the so-and-so article on the so-and-so wiki at Wikia and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License.
Would something like this suffice? It's just something simple since I'm new at this. I don't know if I'll ever do copying in the future, but if a time calls for it, I'll try out that suggestion.
Thank you again! ThatSparkle (talk) 19:46, August 4, 2012 (UTC)