This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
I would like to rename several categories in my wiki. Is there a way to do this without going to each and every article in those categories and change the category marker?
- There's probably a bot for that, but in lieu of bot use, you could always move the category pages to the ones you want.--Imaginationac (Talk | Edits | Email) 17:07, 2 August 2007 (UTC)
- It is not possible to move a category page - there is no "move" link in those pages, and if you try to create a "move" URL, you get a message that it is not possible ot move that page. --Erel Segal 22:05, 2 August 2007 (UTC)
- yah a bot can do that easily if you want i can do it just need the list and what wiki and i can do all the category changes, if you are using templates to create one of those listed category i would need to know what template so i can adjust the bot properly.
- Category:A -> Category:B
- You should be able to install Pywikipediabot and use it's prebuilt bots to do this. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) (tricks) (current topic) Aug 2, 2007 @ 23:10 (UTC)
Cizagna, if you're taking requests, would you please rename w:c:SolarCooking:Category:Solar Cookers International Association members to "Solar Cookers World Network members" and change all the pages that reference this category? Thanks much. Beth Ogilvie 17:59, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
- Wow talk about old xD so just to confirm it will be from Category:Solar Cookers International Association members to Category:Solar Cookers World Network members ?--22:22, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
If you want to retain the history of the category. You can export the old category, delete the old category(important to do this before importing), edit the file with notepad, change the contents of <title> to the location of the new category, save the file, then import it. A little tedious way to bypass the move restrictions, but it does retain edit history. Better than a copy/paste :) --Talk 05:15, 23 March 2009 (UTC)