Community Central
Community Central
Forums: Index Community Central Forum Revolutionize Redirects
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4944 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

I don't know if this is the right place to pitch this exactly, but what the heyy.

I have an idea which would minimize clutter in wikis as well as make it possible for users to easily use redirects, create new ones and delete unnecessary or poorly titled redirects without invoking admins (who have enough work as it is).

My Idea: instead of having multiple redirect pages per page, each page would have a tab (similar to the Discussion tab) titled 'Redirect'. In this tab the users will be able to make redirect links to the top of the said page or to any title within it. Once it's in the Redirect tab anyone could use the redirects within it in any other page of the wiki.

I think it's a good idea, but I still don't know if this would work well with the overhaul wikia is planning. In any case, it can't be added any time soon, but I would like to get some feedback on this. WD Talk to me 17:44, October 5, 2010 (UTC)

I think it's a great idea! ...Why didn't I think of that? :) MontagnaMagica|Talk 15:40, October 6, 2010 (UTC)

Will this make Wikia money? No. Therefore, they will never do it. ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 15:59, October 6, 2010 (UTC)
Redirects are too hardcoded into MediaWiki the way they are, removing redirect as a page would also be technically unproductive this notion is what also protects bugs from cropping up with a page and a redirect colliding with each other due to an error of some sort. It also allows redirects to be versioned so that bad redirects can easily be reverted and redirect changes can be tracked in the history. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) (tricks)Oct 6, 2010 @ 16:19 (UTC) 16:19, October 6, 2010 (UTC)