Community Central
Register
Community Central
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 4: Line 4:

There are some templates such as [[Template:If]] that a few years ago ran into objections of server loading. Is it no longer the case that we should be concerned about server loading from recursive and other complex templates? If it is still a concern, then I will be more attentive to such templates that appear to be unaware of efficiencies possible from parserfunctions (eg in the above template's case, the #ifeq test for undefined parameters). [[User:Phlox|<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">''<font color="#0A9DC2">''~''</font>'''''&nbsp;<font color="#0DC4F2">Ph</font><font color="#3DD0F5">l</font><font color="#6EDCF7">o</font><font color="#9EE8FA">x</font>'''</span>]] 20:14, 27 September 2007 (UTC)

There are some templates such as [[Template:If]] that a few years ago ran into objections of server loading. Is it no longer the case that we should be concerned about server loading from recursive and other complex templates? If it is still a concern, then I will be more attentive to such templates that appear to be unaware of efficiencies possible from parserfunctions (eg in the above template's case, the #ifeq test for undefined parameters). [[User:Phlox|<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">''<font color="#0A9DC2">''~''</font>'''''&nbsp;<font color="#0DC4F2">Ph</font><font color="#3DD0F5">l</font><font color="#6EDCF7">o</font><font color="#9EE8FA">x</font>'''</span>]] 20:14, 27 September 2007 (UTC)

:Sorry, i dont know well that template, but i think they were unefficients and that was the reason to develop the parser functions extension. I use parser functions a lot on the french guild wars wikia... [[User:TulipVorlax|TulipVorlax]] 04:16, 28 September 2007 (UTC)

:Sorry, i dont know well that template, but i think they were unefficients and that was the reason to develop the parser functions extension. I use parser functions a lot on the french guild wars wikia... [[User:TulipVorlax|TulipVorlax]] 04:16, 28 September 2007 (UTC)
  +
  +
::TV is correct. Use [[m:Help:ParserFunctions]] whenever possible, instead of [[Template:If]] and the like. Much less server stress. --[[w:User:Splarka|Splarka]] <small>([[w:User_talk:Splarka|talk]])</small> &lt;[[w:Wikia_Staff|Staff]]&gt; 08:37, 28 September 2007 (UTC)

Revision as of 08:37, 28 September 2007

Forums: Index Help desk Server loading due to complex templates?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 6017 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

There are some templates such as Template:If that a few years ago ran into objections of server loading. Is it no longer the case that we should be concerned about server loading from recursive and other complex templates? If it is still a concern, then I will be more attentive to such templates that appear to be unaware of efficiencies possible from parserfunctions (eg in the above template's case, the #ifeq test for undefined parameters). ~ Phlox 20:14, 27 September 2007 (UTC)

Sorry, i dont know well that template, but i think they were unefficients and that was the reason to develop the parser functions extension. I use parser functions a lot on the french guild wars wikia... TulipVorlax 04:16, 28 September 2007 (UTC)
TV is correct. Use m:Help:ParserFunctions whenever possible, instead of Template:If and the like. Much less server stress. --Splarka (talk) <Staff> 08:37, 28 September 2007 (UTC)