Wikia

Community Central

Spam/Vandalism on the comment section of pages.

94,695pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index General Discussion Spam/Vandalism on the comment section of pages.
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 937 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

So it has been coming to my attention that on my site, I've been seeing vandalism/spam to external sites on the comments every once in awhile, but when it does happen there are usually more the 10 plus comments. So far on my site I haven't seen the comments move to any major parts of the site. I decided to post this topic up after the third time, I noticed it the first time and removed it so no problem, the second was another user brought it to my attention that some had recently been posted, but I did not receive an email notification about, it was only on the message wall I got it. Upon talking about it with the user, he told me he had contacted other site members and noticed similar spamers do the same. I had thought after the second time they'd stopped, but just today I got some, so I was wondering is there an effective way to go and rid the comments without me needing to view the page like 24/7? It would help to create more admins however, at most 10 registered contributors help there so I do not believe this to be a good option.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or is reposted again, but I'm at lost of what to do as of now. Z3R0R3104D is Desu Desu [lit. I'm awesome] 05:45, May 2, 2012 (UTC)

The best strategy is to prevent the creation of spam comments. You can report the spammers by leaving a note on the Volunteer Spam Task Force Wiki. Members of VSTF may be able to refine the spam filters so that the spammers are blocked from creating comments. Alternatively, you could ask Wikia Staff to install the AbuseFilter extension on your wiki so that you can prevent creation of comments that contain certain words. --Gardimuer { ʈalk } 13:00, May 2, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki