Community Central
Register
Community Central
Forums: Index Support Requests Table spacing
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4347 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Hi, in a template I'm using nested tables inside a cell, but I cannot removing the little spacing between the tables, basically I have a series of inline tables and I want them to seem attached together:

TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

How can I do that? leviathan_89 23:12, 21 April, 2012 (UTC)

This may not be the best method, but you could alter the margin size of the last two tables.
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

--Dser (wall | email) 01:12, 4/22/2012
Or change the display from "inline-block" to "table-cell". --  pecoes  06:12, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 
But since IE8 and earlier don't support them I prefer to avoid it... what cause that little space between the tables? leviathan_89 11:30, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)
Try changing to another browser like Google Chrome Sam Wang 12:05, April 22, 2012 (UTC)
He can hardly choose the browser of his wiki's visitor, Sam.
IE8 supports table-cell as far as I know. IE7 doesn't. That's true.
I think the problem with inline-blocks is they're rendered like words and then the word-spacing and the letter-spacing properties apply. This is what happens when you set both of them to "0px":
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

pecoes  12:34, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

(Reset indent) According to Wikia's supported browsers list, IE < 8 are unsupported, so that should be no issue. No wonder no attempt has been made to support Netscape 4TK999 13:40, April 22, 2012 (UTC)

Thanks! Those N4 screens were funny! :) --  pecoes  13:52, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

The word and letter spacing proprieties should do the trick, I actually already tried the letter-spacing, but alone, that's why it didn't work. Thank you. leviathan_89 16:41, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)

Ooooooh. This is embarrassing. I just noticed that I accidentally copied over the margin from Dser's post :(
So, no, this doesn't work. Not all by itself. You would have to set the letter-spacing and/or word-spacing to negative values. That only works if you have a precise idea of the font-size across browsers. With this solution you run into the exact same problems you would run into with Dser's solution.
I would suggest going back to the table-cell display then. Or try something else entirely.
You could e.g. put all those tables in another table with cellspacing and cellpadding set to zero:
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
Or you could float them without clearing them:
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
Or do something nutty and set the font-size of the surrounding container to zero:
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
There are surely more solutions... --  pecoes  17:12, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

Ok, I'll explain better what I want to achieve: it's related to Forum:Gallery template, I have a main container (I'm using a table) and I want to add in it character mini-profiles, basically I want to replace this sort of template. I want the elements to be displayed inline, so they will adapt to the main table's width. An example:

Less than maximum width

TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

More then maximum width

TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

(I used a random image that I found here). Ok now I'm a bit lost... why now there is no spacing between the elements? I copied the first code I posted! And why in my wiki there still is a little spacing? I'll try to check my CSS... anyway seems one problem is solved, now is it possible to remove the space between the two rows? leviathan_89 17:37, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)

There aren't two rows. There's a single row that's too wide for the table and broken in two halfs. You might want to correct that first.
 pecoes  20:01, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

No, actually I want it that way, but then is possible to remove the spcae between the two halves (or two lines depending how you consider them)? leviathan_89 20:09, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)

Hm. So there are always three subtables per row. And how many rows/subtables are there? And the width of the subtables - is that known?
 pecoes  22:17, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 
An example of gallery would be this. There are maximum 5 elements per rows (max in oasis), but in monobook can be more (with the inline sub-table the width changes accordingly). The images are all 120x120. I'm trying some examples in my sandbox, it's beginning to look like what I want, but I don't understand why in monobook the colors are totally broken... (the color are set by a CSS class in the main table). leviathan_89 22:50, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)
Monobook has some weird default table styles that are conflicting with your css styling. Basically, Monobook has a default background-color:white; for all tables. If you want to get around that, you should add the following code to your Monobook.css:
table{ background-color: transparent;}
--Gardimuer { ʈalk } 03:23, April 23, 2012 (UTC)
Thank you, I fixed it. Now I have to figure out why it creates an extra spacing when there are too many elements (it exceed even the parent width) and how I can remove it. Any ideas? Well if it's possible... leviathan_89 00:26, 24 April, 2012 (UTC)
Ah but it simply stay with the width of the parent... leviathan_89 00:36, 24 April, 2012 (UTC)
Does that mean the problem is solved? Or not?
 pecoes  04:15, April 24, 2012 (UTC) 
I think that this solution has its limits, so nothing we ca do about it. For now I don't have any other problems, if I'll have some I'll post here again. Thank you. leviathan_89 11:46, 24 April, 2012 (UTC)