Fandom

Community Central

Table spacing

Forum page

19,033pages on
this wiki
Add New Page

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Support Requests Table spacing
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 228 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Hi, in a template I'm using nested tables inside a cell, but I cannot removing the little spacing between the tables, basically I have a series of inline tables and I want them to seem attached together:

TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

How can I do that? leviathan_89 23:12, 21 April, 2012 (UTC)

This may not be the best method, but you could alter the margin size of the last two tables.
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

--Dser (wall | email) 01:12, 4/22/2012
Or change the display from "inline-block" to "table-cell". --  pecoes  06:12, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 
But since IE8 and earlier don't support them I prefer to avoid it... what cause that little space between the tables? leviathan_89 11:30, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)
Try changing to another browser like Google Chrome Sam Wang 12:05, April 22, 2012 (UTC)
He can hardly choose the browser of his wiki's visitor, Sam.
IE8 supports table-cell as far as I know. IE7 doesn't. That's true.
I think the problem with inline-blocks is they're rendered like words and then the word-spacing and the letter-spacing properties apply. This is what happens when you set both of them to "0px":
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

pecoes  12:34, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

(Reset indent) According to Wikia's supported browsers list, IE < 8 are unsupported, so that should be no issue. No wonder no attempt has been made to support Netscape 4TK999 13:40, April 22, 2012 (UTC)

Thanks! Those N4 screens were funny! :) --  pecoes  13:52, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

The word and letter spacing proprieties should do the trick, I actually already tried the letter-spacing, but alone, that's why it didn't work. Thank you. leviathan_89 16:41, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)

Ooooooh. This is embarrassing. I just noticed that I accidentally copied over the margin from Dser's post :(
So, no, this doesn't work. Not all by itself. You would have to set the letter-spacing and/or word-spacing to negative values. That only works if you have a precise idea of the font-size across browsers. With this solution you run into the exact same problems you would run into with Dser's solution.
I would suggest going back to the table-cell display then. Or try something else entirely.
You could e.g. put all those tables in another table with cellspacing and cellpadding set to zero:
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
Or you could float them without clearing them:
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
Or do something nutty and set the font-size of the surrounding container to zero:
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
There are surely more solutions... --  pecoes  17:12, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

Ok, I'll explain better what I want to achieve: it's related to Forum:Gallery template, I have a main container (I'm using a table) and I want to add in it character mini-profiles, basically I want to replace this sort of template. I want the elements to be displayed inline, so they will adapt to the main table's width. An example:

Less than maximum width

TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

More then maximum width

TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

(I used a random image that I found here). Ok now I'm a bit lost... why now there is no spacing between the elements? I copied the first code I posted! And why in my wiki there still is a little spacing? I'll try to check my CSS... anyway seems one problem is solved, now is it possible to remove the space between the two rows? leviathan_89 17:37, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)

There aren't two rows. There's a single row that's too wide for the table and broken in two halfs. You might want to correct that first.
 pecoes  20:01, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 

No, actually I want it that way, but then is possible to remove the spcae between the two halves (or two lines depending how you consider them)? leviathan_89 20:09, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)

Hm. So there are always three subtables per row. And how many rows/subtables are there? And the width of the subtables - is that known?
 pecoes  22:17, April 22, 2012 (UTC) 
An example of gallery would be this. There are maximum 5 elements per rows (max in oasis), but in monobook can be more (with the inline sub-table the width changes accordingly). The images are all 120x120. I'm trying some examples in my sandbox, it's beginning to look like what I want, but I don't understand why in monobook the colors are totally broken... (the color are set by a CSS class in the main table). leviathan_89 22:50, 22 April, 2012 (UTC)
Monobook has some weird default table styles that are conflicting with your css styling. Basically, Monobook has a default background-color:white; for all tables. If you want to get around that, you should add the following code to your Monobook.css:
table{ background-color: transparent;}
--Gardimuer { ʈalk } 03:23, April 23, 2012 (UTC)
Thank you, I fixed it. Now I have to figure out why it creates an extra spacing when there are too many elements (it exceed even the parent width) and how I can remove it. Any ideas? Well if it's possible... leviathan_89 00:26, 24 April, 2012 (UTC)
Ah but it simply stay with the width of the parent... leviathan_89 00:36, 24 April, 2012 (UTC)
Does that mean the problem is solved? Or not?
 pecoes  04:15, April 24, 2012 (UTC) 
I think that this solution has its limits, so nothing we ca do about it. For now I don't have any other problems, if I'll have some I'll post here again. Thank you. leviathan_89 11:46, 24 April, 2012 (UTC)

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki