Community Central
Community Central
No edit summary
(clarify)

(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 15: Line 15:

::::Changing settings every time I change wikis then. Every time there's a significant upgrade to anything, my user-experience takes a turn for the worse. [[User:Omnibender|Omnibender]] - [[User talk:Omnibender|Talk]] - [[Special:Contributions/Omnibender|Contributions]] 23:24, September 10, 2012 (UTC)

::::Changing settings every time I change wikis then. Every time there's a significant upgrade to anything, my user-experience takes a turn for the worse. [[User:Omnibender|Omnibender]] - [[User talk:Omnibender|Talk]] - [[Special:Contributions/Omnibender|Contributions]] 23:24, September 10, 2012 (UTC)
  +
  +
{{ri}} For completeness, I should add that it ''used to'' be possible to create a link such as http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?namespace=1 to view only edits in namespace 1. The ''namespace'' parameter was broken however when Wikia changed the dropdown box in Special:RecentChanges a month or two ago. I've reported that bug, and I'm sure other people have too, but it hasn't been fixed yet... However, if they do eventually fix that bug, using namespace-specific links to view RC could also alleviate your problem.
  +
  +
Edit: To clarify, this ?namespace=1 thing '''does''' still work while you're logged out, because the updated RC dropdown menu doesn't apply when you're logged out. So you can still take advantage of this while logged out. {{User:Mathmagician/sig|23:45 UTC|Monday|10 September 2012}}

Latest revision as of 23:48, 10 September 2012

Forums: Index Support Requests Talk page and article comments
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 4237 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

How exactly are they seen by the new namespace filter in the recent changes? In the wikis I edit the most, one has article comments enabled and one hasn't. Article comments generally replace the talk page, but I want to be able to filter out the article comments in one wiki, without also filtering out talk page edits in the other wiki, which is what I believe would happen, since those options are stored globally instead of a per-wiki basis. Is this possible? Omnibender - Talk - Contributions 21:59, September 10, 2012 (UTC)

Article comments (but not including blog comments) use namespace 1 by design, the same namespace used by Talk: pages. If you set up your Special:RecentChanges to filter out Talk: namespace edits, you will also be filtering out article comments. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 22:29 UTC, Monday, 10 September 2012
Is there any way at all so I can filter out article comments in one wiki, but retain talk pages of mainspace articles in another wiki? All that I see in the article comments in one wiki is pointless chit-chat, but if I filter those out, then I'd miss talk page edits in the other wiki, which contain actual discussion about how to improve articles in question. Maybe a custom script or something like that? Omnibender - Talk - Contributions 22:34, September 10, 2012 (UTC)
There is no easy way to do what you want to do. If you don't wish to change your Special:RecentChanges settings each time you go to the other wiki, it would be best to just view the Special:RecentChanges page while logged out or on another account, that way you can use different settings without affecting the ones on your main account.
A custom script may be able to do something like what you want to do, but I highly doubt such a script currently exists. This would require JavaScript. There are frankly a lot of technical challenges behind reloading/filtering Special:RecentChanges with AJAX -- even more so in this case since comments and Talk: share the same namespace, and such a script would likely conflict with the popular w:c:dev:AjaxRC. When you also consider that there's the easy alternative solution I mentioned in the previous paragraph, the cons to writing such a script heavily outweigh the benefits in my opinion. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 23:10 UTC, Monday, 10 September 2012
Changing settings every time I change wikis then. Every time there's a significant upgrade to anything, my user-experience takes a turn for the worse. Omnibender - Talk - Contributions 23:24, September 10, 2012 (UTC)

(Reset indent) For completeness, I should add that it used to be possible to create a link such as http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?namespace=1 to view only edits in namespace 1. The namespace parameter was broken however when Wikia changed the dropdown box in Special:RecentChanges a month or two ago. I've reported that bug, and I'm sure other people have too, but it hasn't been fixed yet... However, if they do eventually fix that bug, using namespace-specific links to view RC could also alleviate your problem.

Edit: To clarify, this ?namespace=1 thing does still work while you're logged out, because the updated RC dropdown menu doesn't apply when you're logged out. So you can still take advantage of this while logged out. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 23:45 UTC, Monday, 10 September 2012