Community Central
Register
Community Central
Forums: Index Help desk Virus Detected, Shut down
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Archive
Note: This topic has been unedited for 5164 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Information in this thread may be out of date. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

While I know the rules on how to deal with this whole bad ad thing, this I really found scary and odd. Look at the picture I took before firefox crashed.

VirusDetected

This is what I could catch before Firefox shut down.

This happened I think at Cartoon wiki. But the same thing happened yesterday at DC Database. Is this happening to anyone else? I don't know if its the school computers anti-virus program or it really is a virus. Devilmanozzy 18:32, 23 July 2009 (UTC)

Its a special formed ad, trying to trick you into downloading their "anti virus" software, which its self is actually a virus. --Uberfuzzy 18:47, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the info, I sort of started thinking about the second popup, and it was a fake windows navigation screen saying your getting trojuns. I reported thru Wikia email addy. I hope they stop this ad from showing up, because it'll scary people off. Devilmanozzy 19:20, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
Thats a normal type of popup alert window that javascript can do. theres an alert box with just OK, a confirm with OK/CANCEL and a prompt with a textinput and OK/CANCEL. see [1]. We are looking into these ads, and doing our best to find and remove them.--Uberfuzzy 20:34, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
Forgive me for not logging in, but I just got this ad again, for the second time. Here's the malicious link:http://secure-antivirus-scanv3.com/1/?id=02006-71&query=6f1ef9720&q=%3DTQy2DD2OIQOMI%3DN . I hope you guys can fix this really soon. - 71.100.31.120 17:19, 26 July 2009 (UTC) (MrSinistar)
Yeah it showed up again at Filmationghostbusters wiki again today. Its not been caught yet. Devilmanozzy 00:20, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
The solution for firefox is the noscript extention, although this is far from ideal RT 14:54, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
See Help:Bad ads for reporting an ad you think is malicious or just "bad".--Richardtalk 18:44, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
Sadly, wont help for these, the page gets redirected before you can get anything open to get any information, and when you go back, you likely get different (non infected) ads. --Uberfuzzy 19:49, 27 July 2009 (UTC)

Two Pics

I also have two pictures of the ad, due to the fact Firefox didnt crash for me. To get rid of the ad i click x, then close tab, and then click x again (not on the browsers x, the pop-up). Heres my two pics:

Screen1

Screen 1 of virus ad

Screen2

Screen two of Virus ad

. Thanks for your time and I hope this infected ad is soon eliminated. <<UDK>>-<<Talk>>-<<Contribs>>-<<YCM>> 11:45, 28 July 2009 (UTC)

Ad Issues

Hi,

Thanks for these screenshots, we are working hard to identify and remove this infected ad.

For the record, we're as angry and upset about malware ads as anyone on the Internet. Our sales team has a strict no tolerance policy for selling advertising only to reputable advertisers. Unfortunately, like almost every other site on the Internet today, we also use ad networks like Google, AOL's Ad.com, Tribal Fusion and others. The ad networks often in turn sell our inventory to other ad networks. As a result, occasionally a bad ad gets into the system somewhere and finding it is an incredibly frustrating whack-a-mole problem, because even our partner sometimes doesn't know who sold the ad.

We work with our viewers to try to identify the ads, use firebug to try to identify the offending ad network and then call them to shut it down... and the next day the ad can sometimes re-appear through yet another ad network. But be assured that we are constantly working to find and shut down any of these ads as they appear as we hate them as much as you do.

We are currently trying to identify the latest instance of this bad ad so we can shut it down, so if you have firebug and want to help please post the source of the ads here.

Thanks,

Gil Penchina Wikia

Update

Hi, just to let you know that we have identified the ad network sending us these problem ads, and blacklisted the advertiser. There have not been any new reports of malware since then, so it looks like it's been cleared. As always, please let us know of any problems and we will work to remove them as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who sent in reports of this, they really helped us in tracking down where this was coming from! -- sannse (talk) 23:20, 31 July 2009 (UTC)

Thank you guys sooooooo much for getting rid of the virus!! :D -- Mr. Sinistar 01:02, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
  • Bad ad has apparently returned on Metal Gear Wiki. All I get is a whiteout, though, due to layered protection (the ad itself never actually displays to get detected by Avast!, though). Still, consider combing your ad networks again. -- AndyWaltfeld 23:17, 8 August 2009 (UTC)
    • That may not have been one of those redirect ads, it might have been because of some server failures this morning. are you sure you were redirected to another site? or was the whitescreen still on wikia? --Uberfuzzy 00:02, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
    • Browser URL still reported as Wikia with "Error on page." in the status bar, but I'm a little wary because that's what I got during the time the malware redirect was in place. Seems to be gone now, however, and may have been tied to the aforementioned server errors. (Though for clarity's sake, do you mean "this morning" EDT or UTC? A morning server latency relative to EDT shouldn't still be affecting me later that evening.) -- AndyWaltfeld 18:00, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
I had a attack the other day also. Its not the same as the other as it simple tries to implant without any popup or warning. Avast will stop it however. Anyways, best advise is to keep the anti-viruses updated. It's a problem all over the net lately as even my college has had virus attack. Devilmanozzy 04:25, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
I was attacked again. got a image out of it.....
File:Avast1.png
Devilmanozzy 19:41, 14 August 2009 (UTC)

Hi, I was almost infected with two viruses today on the Yugioh Wiki. I didn't click on any ads, but they appear randomly as I browse the site. 68.123.207.153 04:22, 15 August 2009 (UTC)

Won't it be fair for Wikia to receive an indemnization from those crappy ad networks for the problems we're having? A one month without ads but being paid as if the ads were displayed would be fair to me. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 08:40, 16 August 2009 (UTC)
Haha, that will happen right after Wikia starts selling pre-paid ad cards at department stores, which comes before Wikidating, and after the Answers skin becomes default... ~Joey~ ^Talk^ 10:09, 16 August 2009 (UTC)

Hello, I'm a Mac user, and when I went on Yugioh Wikia, Google informed me that the website had malicious malware on it that could load on to my computer with the click of a button. This notification isn't like the other ones I have seen in this forum, please tell me what this means. Thanks! -iDrowzee (who does not know how to end posts, please forgive me.)

Hi iDrowzee! One of our ad networks was flagged by Google as potentially serving bad content. This was causing users of some browsers (especially Chrome) to receive an ugly red malware warning when visiting some Wikia pages. After receiving the initial reports, we were able to track down and disable the problematic ad network fairly quickly. Please let us know if you see this problem again. Thanks! --KyleH (talk) 01:37, February 5, 2010 (UTC)

Please stop these viruses from infecting your ads! I was browsing the Stargate and Memory Alpha wikia sites. Both gave me Google Warnings about possible viruses. I ignored them much to my woe. Even though I was using Google Chrome, running Microsoft Security Essentials, and had UAC enabled my Windows 7 HP laptop was infected with something which corrupted system files. Now I cannot boot into Windows and will have to do a full re-install. From some searching I have discovered this has been an issue with the entire wikia system in the past. Please fix this issue by using reputable ad companies.

Continue to post your email like that and you'll have much more virus problem ; receiving them by email. — TulipVorlax 08:41, February 5, 2010 (UTC)

I just have a simple question-Is wikia virus-free? -iDrowzee

For the years i've been on Wikia, i never had any malware infiltrating my computer. I can't remember receiving any warning from browsers or security apps neighter.
But, i dont visit every single wiki there is. Who would be able to anyway ? — TulipVorlax 05:01, February 6, 2010 (UTC)