Fandom

Community Central

What is a nosubst template?

Forum page

19,012pages on
this wiki
Add New Page

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Support Requests What is a nosubst template?
Fandom's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 1584 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

What is a nosubst template? I want to know because I was asking my friend how to make it so when you edit a page with my signature on it in source mode my signature shows up as {{User:RandomKitten/Signature}} instead of all my signature code, and he said to use a nosubst template. May StarClan light your path,Really cute RandomKitten Gold tabby 2 22:19, July 31, 2012 (UTC)

The simplest way to fix that is to go into your user preferences, go to the signature box and change it to {{User:RandomKitten/Signature}}. I assume you've currently got something like: {{subst:User:RandomKitten/Signature}}, just remove the 'subst:' part to stop substituting the template. Lunarity 01:57, August 1, 2012 (UTC)

Note: Lunarity's suggestion is not possible on Wikia, because if you try to save a parser function or template in your preferences for your signature, it will automatically SUBST it. The common work around on Wikia is to use 2 templates:

1. Put your signature code into a template in your user space.
  2. Create a "dummy" template that contains the other template.
  3. Then, in your preferences, you substitute the "dummy" template, which will include the original template that has your actual signature code.

Here is a very basic walkthrough to creating a templated signature on Wikia:

Step 1) Copy/paste your current signature code into User:RandomKitten/SigReal

Step 2) Create a "dummy" template called User:RandomKitten/Sig, and what you put on that page is:

{{User:RandomKitten/SigReal}}

Step 3) In Special:Preferences where you specify your signature, put the following:

{{SUBST:User:RandomKitten/Sig}}

What this will do: everytime you sign your post, the User:RandomKitten/Sig template will be substituted. But, since that template contains another template, what will actually be put on the page when you publish is {{User:RandomKitten/SigReal}}.

That's the very basics behind the trick. There are more things you can do besides this, but that's the basics of it. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 02:33 UTC, Wed, 01 August 2012

A lengthier explanation of this "template call" approach to signatures is available at tardis:Help:Signature. czechout@fandom    fly tardis  <span style="">16:06: Thu 02 Aug 2012 
Hmm. I had been wondering about why people were doing that. Is there a particular reason for that behaviour, or is it just an internal glitch with template processing? The signature text is basically just defining a template which is subst: for the ~~~ magic string; it seems rather pointless to subst: the templates in the template since you could add subst: manually if that's what you actually wanted. Lunarity 14:44, August 3, 2012 (UTC)

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki