Wikia

Community Central

What is a nosubst template?

89,815pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index Support Requests What is a nosubst template?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 727 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

What is a nosubst template? I want to know because I was asking my friend how to make it so when you edit a page with my signature on it in source mode my signature shows up as {{User:RandomKitten/Signature}} instead of all my signature code, and he said to use a nosubst template. May StarClan light your path,Really cute RandomKitten Gold tabby 2 22:19, July 31, 2012 (UTC)

The simplest way to fix that is to go into your user preferences, go to the signature box and change it to {{User:RandomKitten/Signature}}. I assume you've currently got something like: {{subst:User:RandomKitten/Signature}}, just remove the 'subst:' part to stop substituting the template. Lunarity 01:57, August 1, 2012 (UTC)

Note: Lunarity's suggestion is not possible on Wikia, because if you try to save a parser function or template in your preferences for your signature, it will automatically SUBST it. The common work around on Wikia is to use 2 templates:

1. Put your signature code into a template in your user space.
  2. Create a "dummy" template that contains the other template.
  3. Then, in your preferences, you substitute the "dummy" template, which will include the original template that has your actual signature code.

Here is a very basic walkthrough to creating a templated signature on Wikia:

Step 1) Copy/paste your current signature code into User:RandomKitten/SigReal

Step 2) Create a "dummy" template called User:RandomKitten/Sig, and what you put on that page is:

{{User:RandomKitten/SigReal}}

Step 3) In Special:Preferences where you specify your signature, put the following:

{{SUBST:User:RandomKitten/Sig}}

What this will do: everytime you sign your post, the User:RandomKitten/Sig template will be substituted. But, since that template contains another template, what will actually be put on the page when you publish is {{User:RandomKitten/SigReal}}.

That's the very basics behind the trick. There are more things you can do besides this, but that's the basics of it. 20px_Rin_Tohsaka_Avatar.png Mathmagician ƒ(♫) 02:33 UTC, Wed, 01 August 2012

A lengthier explanation of this "template call" approach to signatures is available at tardis:Help:Signature. czechout@Wikia    fly tardis  <span style="">16:06: Thu 02 Aug 2012 
Hmm. I had been wondering about why people were doing that. Is there a particular reason for that behaviour, or is it just an internal glitch with template processing? The signature text is basically just defining a template which is subst: for the ~~~ magic string; it seems rather pointless to subst: the templates in the template since you could add subst: manually if that's what you actually wanted. Lunarity 14:44, August 3, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki