Wikia

Community Central

What is the related videos module?

91,296pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index General Discussion What is the related videos module?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 809 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Got this post from Sarah over at WoWWiki: Forum:Related videos module, but it doesn't really explain what the "Related Videos Module" actually is. Can someone explain it? -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 31 May 2012 9:59 AM Pacific

There are some more details here w:c:starwars:Forum:SH:Related videos module coming soon --Category:Ciencia Al Poder (talk) -WikiDex 18:18, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
The Star Wars folks were way more negative than I would have expected. My biggest problem with this new feature is that appears to not be optional, even if Wikia's store of videos on the topic of your wiki are dismally bad. A search of "warcraft" on the Video wiki revealed a whole 10 videos. Pretty bad.
I wish Wikia would have a broader view of how these features will work before turning them on and letting them blow up in their faces as they do more often than not.
Oh well. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 31 May 2012 12:52 PM Pacific
Hi, You can see the module live in a couple of places around the site, including the hunger games, harry potter, diablo and a handful more. All of the currently available content we have gain can be found on the video wiki, and we are working hard to get more. All the content there is fully licensed. Communities have the ability to add and remove videos in the module, so if you want something more or only specific types of videos, you can do that. Our hope is to have this sitewide someday, but the schedule and rollout has not been set in stone, so we are currently contacting wikis that we have videos for (as you pointed out some only have as 10 there now), to see if they would like to be in the first round of activating the feature. We are also taking in product requests (such as being able to keep video embeds disabled but the module on) and other ideas from the communities using the module. I hope this answers your questions and let me know other concerns you may have. Sarah@Wikia (help forum | blog) 21:06, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
The Related videos feature would be much more compelling if adding videos to the video wiki was as easy as using the <youtube> tag, but it seems like that time is a long way off. What are Wikia's plans for getting more content onto the video wiki? Saying "we are working hard to get more" is vague in the extreme and contains no specifics upon which to build confidence and trust. -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 13 Jun 2012 4:22 PM Pacific
Since these are business deals that are still be negotiated, we unfortunately can not give out details. I know this can sound vague, but we are working our hardest to get them finished so we can announce it. We know that we need more content and are doing our best to get it to you as soon as we can. --Sarah@Wikia (help forum | blog) 17:31, June 14, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki