Wikia

Community Central

Would a shopping wiki be allowed?

86,779pages on
this wiki

Forum page

This Forum has been archived

Visit the new Forums
Forums: Index General Discussion Would a shopping wiki be allowed?
Wikia's forums are a place for the community to help other members.
To contact staff directly or to report bugs, please use Special:Contact.
Note: This topic has been unedited for 603 days. It is considered archived - the discussion is over. Do not add to unless it really needs a response.

Would a wiki about shopping be allowed? Because the Terms and Conditions of Wikia don't allow: "Post advertisements or solicitations of business".

I thought of a help guide for shopping things that you won't get in any random shop. And this specially for one town, Dublin, IE. E.g. I looked 4 years to find green tabasco sauce here. Or were would one find a Durian in Dublin? Or sugar cane or ethically produced clothing or Vibram FiveFingers or a Norwegian beer or sugar free chocolate or fresh gluten free bread?

Of course this is/could be very close to advertisement of individual businesses. So will it work? If not, any wikifarm suggestion where to go next? Cheers —This unsigned comment is by Blart (wallcontribs) . Please sign your posts with ~~~~!

If this wiki is just a guide to find stuff, it's probably not that different from any other wiki here. The Terms most likely apply to advertisements along the lines of "click here to find cheap pr0n", not to what you describe.
My 0.02$. --IK Talk 19:10, August 4, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the first impression, Kitten. I'll give it a go for the first few articles and see if someone censors it ;-) Sorry also for the not signing. Am not yet used to the syntax and common rules here. Will have to get used to the WYSIWYG instead of the Wikipedia Source Code ;-) Blart (talk) 15:25, August 6, 2012 (UTC)
You can switch back to source mode on the page, or disable it completely in your Preferences -- RandomTime 15:27, August 6, 2012 (UTC)
I kind of like both editors - the source for the overview (as I find colons and equal signs easier to use) and the visual for links and stuff. I got the first few pages in "my" wiki now :-) Blart (talk) 18:48, August 6, 2012 (UTC)

The Visual or Rich Text Editor is renowned mainly for causing coding errors and being impossible to use for anything past rudimentary coding; you'd be better off to just use the Source Editor. It's not as pretty, but it's far more solid and reliable than its cousin. Template:Signatures/Flaysian 18:43, August 9, 2012 (UTC)

On a side note, from what I can remember Falon & Byrne sell very nice tabasco sauce. :-) Template:Signatures/Flaysian 18:46, August 9, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks, Ronan. So the editor is not much different than many editors for easy scripting languages, fair enough. I wanted to create an article about Fallon & Byrne anyway so here you go :-) But I'm frequently in that shop and have never found green tabasco unfortunately. Feel free to add and edit in this wiki if you got special knowledge. Cheers, Blart (talk) 10:09, August 10, 2012 (UTC)

Following on from some activity by 'interested parties' on Tea Wiki - what is the policy on commercial and other bodies who edit their own articles and put in advertising material? (Keeping the article encyclopedia style and up to date is not an issue.) Jackiespeel (talk) 14:02, August 17, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki