Wikia wants visitors to only see good quality advertisements, and thus we have a system for reporting "bad" ads, as shown below.
Bad ads might include, but are not limited to:
- Inappropriate for your community (e.g. dating ads on a community aimed at children).
- With regards to gaming communities, ads about exploits and cheating
- Ads that move rapidly and continuously, flash in bright colors, or otherwise disrupt the senses so as to make the article on which it is embedded difficult to read.
- Broken ads - for example, ads that are sized incorrectly and/or overlapping content.
- Auto-play ads - Ads that, when loaded, automatically execute audio. Some of Wikia's video ads play automatically, but they should do so muted.
- Malware - Ads that attempt to download or execute a malicious program on your computer. Luckily, these are very, very rare due to Wikia's strict ad policies, but sometimes malicious individuals find a way in. Malware reports are taken very seriously by Wikia Staff.
Please note that advertisement removal requests are considered on a case by case basis and while all complaints will be accepted, not all ads can be removed.
How can I report a bad advertisement? Edit
In all cases, reporting a bad advertisement with any information you can provide, no matter how small, is appreciated and better than not reporting it at all. You may wish to open the reporting form in a new tab or window, in order to keep the page with the ad available for the steps described below.
To report a bad advertisement, please use this link.
Note that Wikia can only take action against an offending ad if we have as much of the following information as possible included:
- On which community page the bad ad appeared.
- A brief description of what the ad is about, and why the ad is bad.
- What city and country you live in (do not send us an exact address).
- The ad code from the page's HTML (see below for how to find it).
- A screenshot of the ad on the community.
- The source of the ad (instructions below).
How to find the ad tag in a page's HTMLEdit
Every ad is put on the page via an ad tag in the page's HTML code. This bit of code is very helpful for us in identifying the rogue ad, so we especially appreciate it if you can include it in your bad ad report. This is how you find it:
- Right click on the ad and choose "Inspect Element" (if it's a Flash ad, you may need to click just outside of the ad to get this option).
- A panel will open below or next to the page in your browser and will show you the HTML for the entire webpage. A line of code should be highlighted.
- Around that highlighted line, look for a <div> tag preceded with a comment "<!-- BEGIN SLOTNAME:" that starts with "<div id="wikia_gpt/ ...>
- It may be collapsed. By clicking the chevron you can open it and see its contents.
- If you're not sure if you have the correct tag, hover over it in the panel, and the corresponding element on the webpage will be highlighted.
- Copy the contents of this <div> tag. Don't worry if this is very long! The most helpful parts will be strings of numbers and/or letters that follow the terms line-item-id or creative-id.
- Include the code you copied in your bad ad report. If you have problems with copying the code, a screenshot can be helpful instead.
Further help and feedbackEdit
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Help:Wikia Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Help:Contacting Wikia for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Wikia in Wikia University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience