Community Central
Community Central

Collapsing is a feature to collapse (or hide) any HTML element.

There are times when a page can contain many related elements which makes it very long; using a collapsing feature enables editors to shorten the page, and allow readers to expand areas of interest to them. Similar to the Table of Contents, other parts of a wikia page can be designed to collapse.

To make an element collapsible, simply add the class "mw-collapsible" to it.

Examples

Collapsing a table

By adding "mw-collapsible" as the class, a table can be collapsed to save page space.

Number Letter
1 A
2 B
3 C
{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible" style="float:right"
! Number !! Letter
|-
| 1 || A
|-
| 2 || B
|-
| 3 || C
|}

Collapsing text

It is possible to collapse text in an article, effectively shortening the page, and allowing the reader to decide if they want to read the rest of the information. For example:

<div class="mw-collapsible">
This text is collapsible.
</div>

Results in:

This text is collapsible.

Advanced settings

Initial state

To set the initial state as collapsed add "mw-collapsed" along with "mw-collapsible", such as seen in the following table:

{| class="mw-collapsible mw-collapsed wikitable"
! The header || remains visible
|-
| This  content || is hidden
|-
| at first || load time
|}
The header remains visible
This content
is initially hidden

Selecting collapsible content

You can also specify which part is the collapsible content by using "mw-collapsible-content".

<div class="mw-collapsible mw-collapsed" style="width:100%">
This text is not collapsible; but the next is collapsible and hidden by default:
<div class="mw-collapsible-content">This text should be hidden by default.</div>
This text should be visible as well.
</div>

Results in:

This text is not collapsible; but the next is collapsible and hidden by default:

This text should be hidden by default.

This text should be visible as well.

Custom wording

Don't like Expand/Collapse for the links? No problem! Change them using "data-expandtext" and "data-collapsetext".

{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible" data-expandtext="Illuminate" data-collapsetext="Deluminate"
!My || Header
|-
| A || B
|-
| C || D
|}
My Header
A B
C D

Toggle button

If you notice in the example table above, the link in the second column really increases the width of the table compared to the text within it. We can fix that by having the toggle placed anywhere else on the page.

To do that, we have to assign an ID to the element. This ID must be prefixed with "mw-customcollapsible-" and followed by a unique key phrase for that element. Using our table above, we can add the ID "mw-customcollapsible-myTable".

That takes care of the table itself. Next, we have to add a button/link/text element with the class "mw-customtoggle-myTable" (note this is a class and not an ID like above).

{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible" id="mw-customcollapsible-myTable"
!My || Header
|-
| A || B
|-
| C || D
|}

<div class="mw-customtoggle-myTable wikia-menu-button">Show/Hide table</div>
My Header
A B
C D

Show/Hide table