Extensions are features and add-ons developed for MediaWiki, the software platform that Wikia runs on. They are designed by third-party developers (that is to say, not Wikia or MediaWiki staff) for the purpose of either expanding the function of a wiki or overriding a built-in MediaWiki feature for customization purposes.
See Category:Extensions for help pages on Wikia Help. Note this article may not be completely up to date.
See also Category:Extensions enabled by default.
Users and adminsEdit
- Deleted user contributions
- Gives sysops the ability to browse a user's deleted edits
- Help:Global CSS and JS
- Displays edit count of a user
- AJAX based gadget to display the category structure of a wiki
- DPL-based forum extension using wiki pages.
- Timeline extension
- Adds <googlespreadsheet> tag for Google Docs' spreadsheets display
- Allows client-side clickable image maps using <imagemap> tag
- Allow inclusion of predefined HTML forms
- Adds <ref[ name=id]> and <references/> tags, for citations
- Search for Weblinks
- Get list of most popular articles
- Get list of most popular categories
- Allows users to upload up to five files at once
- Enhance parser with logical functions
- Adds <poem> tag for poem formatting
- Set up single-choice polls.
- Provides a random media picker using <randomimage />
- Displays a random option from the given set
- RSS feed extension
- Displays an RSS feed on a wiki page
- TabView and Tabber
- Methods for having "tabbed" content
- Editors can create timelines of events using this tool's syntax.
- Video Embed Tool
- Embeds videos from YouTube, Metacafe and many other sites, and adds Video pages
- Syntax to display hieroglyph
- Embeds YouTube and Google Video movies
Spam and blockingEdit
- Simple spambot blocking mechanism
- Simple captcha implementation
- Regular Expression Name Block
- Alternate user block (by given name, using regular expressions, controlled globally)
- Regular Expression Spam Block
- Filters out unwanted phrases in edited pages, based on regular expression
- Regex based anti url spam tool
- Dynamic box which allow users to login and remind password
- Code syntax highlighter - supports many languages
- Adding meta-description tag containing snippet of the Article
- Allow users to upload new files directly from edit page
- Allows drawing "shared" template messages from the shared DB
- Shared Help
- Provides the Help namespace pages from this wiki into all wikis (controlled globally)
- Provides an interface for sending messages seen on all wikis
- Tool for automatically catching non-constructive edits.
- Allows for embedding of a calendar into wiki pages.
- Universal reporting tool for wikis, which adds the <dpl> tag
- Maps Extension
- Easily create maps with wiki-fied markers
- Allows you to define a variable on a page then use it later in that same page.
- Grants users with the appropriate permission the ability to check user's IP addresses and other information (This is generally a staff-only tool. A few wikis have a few users with this access, but it is not requestable.)
- Protect site
- Allows a site administrator to temporarily block various site modifications (this is enabled as deemed needed)
- MediaWiki Extensions List at MediaWiki.org, the homepage of MediaWiki software