A web feed is a data format used for serving frequently updated content to users. A content provider makes feeds available and may publish the feed link on their site. Users can subscribe to the feed using an aggregator application (also called a feed reader or a news reader) running on their computer. Some web browsers also have native options for feeds, such as Live Bookmarks in Firefox.
Wikia provides outgoing RSS and Atom feeds for some wiki pages, and wiki pages can display incoming RSS feeds from other sites.
Which Wikia pages provide feeds?Edit
RSS and Atom feeds are available for individual articles and for certain special pages. When you visit the page in question, you can append the page's URL with ?feed=rss or ?feed=atom to access the feed URL. If the URL already has elements that use the ? and = characters, you will need to include the & character in front of the feed elements, like &?feed=rss or &?feed=atom
Changes to any wikiEdit
- Use the URL for the wiki's Recent Changes page
- Example: The RSS feed URL for recent changes on the Muppet wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?feed=rss
New pages added to any wikiEdit
- Use the URL for the wiki's New Pages page
- Example: The RSS feed URL for new pages on the Muppet wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewPages?feed=rss
Changes to any wiki articleEdit
- Use the URL for the article's history page
- Example: The RSS feed URL for the Muppet wiki Main Page: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Wiki?action=history&?feed=rss
- Note that the addition of the & is needed here, since the feed element follows ?action=history
- Use mediawiki api format for one's followed pages
- Format: http://community.wikia.com/api.php?action=feedwatchlist&feedformat=rss&wlowner=MyUserName&wltoken=blahblah
- feedformat: can be "rss" or "atom"
- wlowner: your username
- wltoken: the token you set in your Preference>Under the Hood
- Note that the addition of the & is needed here, since many other parameters follows ?action=feedwatchlist
How do I publish RSS content from another site?Edit
The basic syntax is
<rss> URL goes here </rss>.
See Help:RSS2Wiki for more options.