Game Guides is a free App available for Android and iPhone. It provides quick mobile access to your wiki's content that is curated by you! Game Guides allows your wiki to have an optiminal display and format for mobile devices, so your wiki is easy to read, navigate and explore.
This user guide provides an overview for both Android and iPhone.
Finding & Adding GamesEdit
After you have downloaded and started the App, you will be presented with a home screen. From there you should:
- Tap on the “+” button
- Enter the wiki of your choice and press the Search button on your mobile keyboard.
- Once you find your game wiki of choice, tap the game wiki image or title to go straight to the game guide.
- If you would like to add this wiki to your home screen, tap the green “+” and it will be automatically added to your phone screen.
Browsing Game Guide ContentEdit
On the home screen, please tap on the game guide of your choice.
- Once you're in the game home screen you can see:
- The info button
- The search button
- Content list which you can sort by top picks (default view) and hot (most page views in the last week)
- Tap on the Info button to learn more about the wiki that supplies information for the game guide. Here you also have the option to let the wiki admin know if and how they can improve their guide.
- Tap the search button to search within the guide
- Tap any of the category buttons to browse similar content
Managing Your ExperienceEdit
For Android devices:
- Either tap and hold the game title or go to settings and tap on Manage Games.
- Tap and hold a game title to bring up a menu in which you can choose between "Move first" to move the game guide to the beginning of the carousel, "Remove" to remove the game guide from the carousel and "Reorder" to access the game management screen.
- On the Reorder screen:
- Tap and hold the left dotted line to drag a game guide up or down the list
- Tap “X” to delete a game guide
- Tap on the Navigation Panel button on the home screen or Manage My Guides in settings
- Tap on the edit button to reorder or delete game guides
On any screen of the App, you can open your Navigation Panel which features:
- A shortcut to the home screen
- Your list of favorite game guides (If you tap on the game guide title, you go straight to the game guide home screen and if you tap on the bookmark button next to the title, you go straight to the bookmarks screen for that game guide)
This can be accessed by tapping on the bookmark button in your navigation panel or under a game guide on your home screen.
For Android devices:
- Tap on the “spinner” on the bottom right corner of the bookmark to bring up the options screen in which you can either delete or share the bookmarked article
- Swipe horizontally on a bookmark to delete it
For Android devices:
- Offline bookmarking - Tap the bookmark icon for bookmarking options; here you can bookmark the whole article or any of the article sections
- Display Options - change the font, brightness and/or alignment of text
- Web view - takes you to the web view of that article
- Sections - shows the additional browsing options within this articles (can be found at the bottom of the article as well)
- Display options - tap on the Display Options button in the bottom bar to change the font size, change the font to san serif, justify the text layout, or dim the screen
- Offline bookmarks -Tap on the bookmark button for bookmarking options
- You can tap the Article title to bookmark the whole article or a section title to bookmark a specific section
Curating Your Wiki's Game GuideEdit
The first step on this journey is to activate the new feature in your WikiFeatures! The Game Guides App pulls content directly from your wiki, so to have a great game guide, we recommend a couple of tips. The most important is clear categorization. If your wiki is categorized properly, setting up the Game Guide content will take no more than 15 minutes.
Every game guide contains an info page, which provides an image and about section for the wiki. This is pulled from Special:Promote page. To ensure this looks great on the game guide, make sure your Special:Promote page is filled out and contains a high resolution image.
The content list is what users will use to navigate through your game guide.
Start by activating the feature in your Special:WikiFeatures page. The next step is to open your wiki's Special:GameGuidesContent page. Here you will be presented with an empty form that allows you to add a category, category tag (optional), and game guide name. Below here you can see the Special:GameGuidesContent page for the Fallout wiki.
The upper level row is called a tag, and is what appears on the top level of the content list. In the screenshot above the tag is in the first and seventh row, which is tan in color. The tags will appear are Fallout 2 and Fallout.
Category names are added to the left column, and when clicked will be what populate the content sub list. The right column allows for you to add a display name that is different than the category name.
If you choose to leave the right column empty, the category will be named as it appears in the left column.
In the example of Fallout, the first category is "Fallout_2_quests" and then the display name is "Guests"
To the right of each row is the option to add a photo for the row, delete the row, or to reorder it within the guide. We recommend you add a photo to provide better visualization for the category. To add a new tag or categroy, use the buttons at the bottom of the page.