An interwiki link is a link to another wiki. This link is often to another Wikia wiki, but can be to any other wiki listed on the interwiki map. Interwiki links are shortcuts that prevents you needing to use the full URL, and will prevent links from breaking if a wiki later changes its address.
Linking to another Wikia wikiEdit
- To create an interwiki link from your Wikia wiki to another, use the format [[w:c:wikiname:pagename]]. So for example if you wanted to link to the Jedi page on Wookiepedia, you would use [[w:c:Starwars:Jedi]].
- If you would like to modify the display text, follow the same format at with all links, and add a | after the link with the text you want displayed. So for example, [[w:c:Starwars:Jedi|test]], would appear as test.
- To link to another language version of your wiki, use [[languagecode:pagename]], e.g.[[fr:fromage]] will link to the "fromage" article on the French-language version of that wiki.
- If you leave off the pagename, it will use the pagename of the article the interwiki link is placed on.
- Generally such links are placed alphabetically by language code at the end of an article, and will show up in the sidebar. See Help:Interlanguage links for more information.
- Note: because different languages can use different wiki names (such as the English cycling.wikia.com and the French cyclisme.wikia.com), interlanguage linking must be manually activated by the community team. If your topic has another language version at Wikia, and you would like to activate interlanguage linking, please leave a request on the Interlanguage link requests page on Community Central.
Linking to any other non-English Wikia wikiEdit
- The international Wikia wikis have a country code prefix. German wikis for example have the servername
de.<wikiname>.wikia.com. Spanish wikis can be found under
- When you link to one of these wikis, you need to add the country code prefix. Example:
[[w:c:fr.<wikiname>:Page]](Note the dot between "fr" and the wikiname!)
Linking to an external WikiEdit
- Sites listed in the interwiki map can be linked via [[wiki prefix:page name]]. For example, [[Wikipedia:Jedi]] will be converted to link to the English Wikipedia's "Jedi" article: Wikipedia:Jedi.
- Note that the name used in the interwiki link is not always exactly the same as the domain or sub-domain, e.g. MetaWikipedia: vs. http://meta.wikimedia.org
- See the Interwiki map on Community Central for interwiki prefixes for an ever-growing list of individual external wikis.
Link to a Wikia site from an external wikiEdit
- If the wiki is in the interwiki map of another wiki, you can link to any Wikia using the syntax:
- [[Wikia:c:Wiki name:Page title]] or [[Wikiasite:Projectname:Page title]]
- For example, [[Wikia:c:Starwars:Jedi]] or [[Wikiasite:Starwars:Jedi]] from a wiki outside Wikia would link to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi
See also Edit
- To request a specific interwiki link for your wiki, please visit this page.
- Adjust the style of interwiki links
- MetaWikipedia:Help:Interwiki linking
- MetaWikipedia:Redirected user pages considered harmful