An interwiki link is a link to another community. This link is often to another Wikia community, although it may also be to any of the sites listed on the interwiki map. Interwiki links are shortcuts that mean you don't have to use the full URL, and they can help simplify the maintenance of links if a community later changes its URL.
Linking to another Wikia communityEdit
- To create an interwiki link from your Wikia community to another, use the format
[[w:c:wikianame:pagename]]. So for example if you wanted to link to the Jedi page on Wookieepedia, you would use
- If you would like to modify the displayed text, follow the same format as with all links, and add a '|' after the link along with the text you want. So, for example,
[[w:c:starwars:Jedi|test]], would appear as test.
- Note that non-English communities often have a language code prefix. A German community will often have a URL like
de.wikianame.wikia.com, while Spanish communities come under
es.wikianame.wikia.com. When you link to one of these communities, simply include the language code prefix. Example:
[[w:c:fr.wikianame:Page]](note the dot between "fr" and the wikia name).
- To link to a version of your community in different language, use
[[fr:fromage]]will link to the "fromage" article on the French-language version of that community.
- If you leave off the pagename, it will use the pagename of the article that the interwiki link is placed on.
- Generally such links are placed alphabetically by language code at the end of an article.
- Note: because different languages can use different names (such as the English cycling.wikia.com and the French cyclisme.wikia.com), interlanguage linking must be manually activated by the Wikia community team. If your topic has a community in a different language at Wikia, and you would like to activate interlanguage linking, please leave a request on the Interlanguage link requests page on Community Central.
- See Help:Interlanguage links for more information about this kind of link.
Linking to an external wiki communityEdit
- Sites listed in the interwiki map can be linked via
[[prefix:pagename]]. For example,
[[Wikipedia:Jedi]]will be converted to link to the English Wikipedia's "Jedi" article: Wikipedia:Jedi. These interwiki links look like local links.
[[wp:es:India]]will be converted to link to the Spanish Wikipedia's "India" article: Wikipedia:es:India
- Note that the name used in the interwiki link is not always exactly the same as the domain or sub-domain, e.g. MetaWikipedia: vs. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki. Wikia's interwiki map also supports MetaWikiMedia: and m: for this community.
- Many (off-Wikia) MediaWiki help pages are kept on http://mediawiki.org/wiki/, which can be linked to with mw:. Don't confuse this with the MediaWiki: namespace for system messages.
Linking to a Wikia community from an off-Wikia communityEdit
- You can generally link to any Wikia community using the syntax:
- For example,
[[Wikiasite:starwars:Jedi]]from a community outside Wikia would link to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi
- Shared help and shared templates are special cases of interwiki links
- To request a specific interwiki link for your community, please visit this page.
- MetaWikipedia:Help:Interwiki linking
Further Help & FeedbackEdit
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Help:Fandom Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Help:Contacting Fandom for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Fandom in Fandom University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience