- To create a link, you must be in edit mode. Begin by highlighting the text you want to link.
- Then click on the button on the toolbar. (If you don't see this button, there are other options. See below.)
- A window will pop up that gives you two options for linking: an internal link or an external link. Internal links are pages within the wiki (or to another wiki on Wikia). External links are to pages outside of Wikia. Select which one you need.
- Enter the target of the link. For an Internal link, enter the name of the page (see "Types of Internal Links" below for more detail). For an external link, enter the full URL (including the "http://" part).
- Make sure the text that should display for the link looks correct (it should be displaying the text you highlighted earlier).
- Click "OK". Your link will appear!
Types of Internal LinksEdit
An internal link is a link that goes from one page on Wikia to another, and can be in any of the following forms:
- To link to an article page, just enter the name of the article in the link field.
- Example: Season One
- To link to a page in a namespace, enter the name both the namespace and the page in the link field, with a colon (":") between them. This should match how the same text appears at the end of that page's URL.
- Example: Characters:Joe_Smith
- To link to a page on a different wiki, enter "w:c:" followed by the domain of that wiki, followed by the namespace and pagename.
- Example: w:c:community:Forums:Index (this links to the Community Central Forums)
- The Community Central wiki can be linked by just "w:" followed by the namespace and pagename.
- Example: w:Help:Spam (this links to the Spam help page)
- Preview your changes, and Save when you are sure that you are finished.
- If your new link is red in the Preview, either that destination does not exist, or you typed it incorrectly. If you click on the red link, you will be asked to create the page.
- How to create a new article
- How to use user and talk pages
- How to sign up for a username
- See Help:Interwiki link/technical for more advanced details.