A lot of users visit FANDOM, and their screen resolutions all differ. What might look like a nice background to you, may look bad for a user with a larger resolution. Therefore, it's important to add gradients to your background before you upload it through the theme designer so the image will blend in with the background.
What are gradients? Edit
Gradients are smooth transitions from one color to another. There are two types of gradients: linear and radial. A linear gradient is specified by two points and a different color at each point. A radial gradient is specified as a circle that has one color and a focus (the center of the circle) that has another. In this tutorial, we'll use linear gradients.
Applying gradients Edit
For this tutorial, we'll be using the image shown on the right, the well-known Windows background. You'll also need a program which supports gradients. In this case, we'll be using the free GIMP program.
- Have a look at the right image, as you can see the blue background doesn't fit at all with the image background, and there's no transition at all between the two. To fix this, we'll first have to detect the background color of the wiki. Take a screenshot of the page you're currently on and paste (CTRL+V) the image into GIMP.
- In GIMP, select the "Color Picker" from the toolbox on the left (). Now, click on the background color of the wiki (not the background image). Now you've got the correct color to apply the gradient with.
- Next, open the original background in GIMP (the windows desktop one). Choose the gradient tool (). Next, on the toolbox menu left, choose "FG to transparent" from the dropdown which appears by clicking on the image next to "Gradient:" (). Now you'll be able to apply the gradient.
- Put your mouse on the left edge of the image, in the center (see image). Now hold the mouse button and pull to the very center of the image, and release the button. Now there's a gradient on the image. Do the same for the bottom and the right.
- Now save the image, (File --> Save as...), and save the image as a .jpg file. In the dialogue menu that shows up, choose "Export". A new dialogue appears. There, check the "show example" checkbox. The filesize of the image will appear. Make sure it's below 300kB or you won't be able to save the background.
- Go to Special:ThemeDesigner on your wiki and upload the image. Voilà, a nice looking background!
See also Edit
- Learn more about the theme designer
- Learn more about creating a background image
- Learn more about designing your community
Further help and feedback Edit
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check FANDOM Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting FANDOM for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use FANDOM in FANDOM University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience