- This extension is enabled by default on FANDOM.
The FANDOM welcome tool is an automatic process that helps admins welcome new, logged-in editors. The goal is to show new contributors that there's a community on the wiki and to help connect them to admins, so they know where to go if they have questions. When a contributor makes their first edit, the welcome tool automatically leaves a message for them and creates a user page.
The message is signed by the admin who edited the wiki most recently. This is to help the contributor find someone who's available to talk to them if they need it. If no admin has recently edited, the message will be signed by a member of the FANDOM Community Team.
Finding the new editors
Assuming they don't find you first, there are two simple methods you can use to find new users:
- Welcome messages are created by User:FANDOM. You can check that user's contributions to see who has been welcomed recently.
- The welcomes are shown on the recent changes page after clicking the 'Show bots' option.
Customizing the welcome tool
Administrators on each community can customize the tool in various ways by editing certain pages in the MediaWiki namespace.
However, in both cases, edit MediaWiki:Welcome-user-page to change the user page that the tool creates.
Text used in welcome messages can also be customized through MediaWiki pages. Different MediaWiki pages are used when admins and FANDOM Staff are posting the message, as well as when posting on walls and talk pages:
|-||By admins||By FANDOM Staff|
|Talk page message||MediaWiki:Welcome-message-user||MediaWiki:Welcome-message-user-staff|
Welcome messages by FANDOM Staff are only used when no admin has edited in 60 days.
The various variables that can be used in the messages have these meanings:
- $1: the page that the new editor edited or created
- $2: the talk page of the person leaving the welcome
- $3: the signature of the person leaving the welcome
- $4: the name of the person being welcomed
- Welcome messages will not be left for users with flags such as bot, staff, helper or VSTF.
- Welcome messages will not be left by admin accounts that also have the bot flag.
- Welcome messages will not be left to logged-out users as of September 11, 2017.
Further help and feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check FANDOM Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting FANDOM for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use FANDOM in FANDOM University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience