- This extension is enabled by default on FANDOM.
The FANDOM welcome tool is an automatic process that helps admins welcome new, logged-in editors. The goal is to show new contributors that there's a community on the wiki and to help connect them to admins, so they know where to go if they have questions. When a contributor makes their first edit, the welcome tool leaves a message for them, and creates a user page.
The message is signed by the admin who edited the wiki most recently. This is to help the contributor find someone who's available to talk to them if they need it. If no admin has recently edited, the message will be signed by a member of the FANDOM Community Team.
Finding the new editorsEdit
Assuming they don't find you first, there are two simple methods you can use to find new users:
- Welcome messages are created by User:FANDOM. You can check that user's contributions to see who has been welcomed recently.
- The welcomes are shown on the recent changes page, after clicking the 'Show bots' option.
Customizing the welcome toolEdit
Administrators on each community can customize the tool in various ways by editing certain pages in the MediaWiki namespace.
Who signs the message / disabling the tool
Set MediaWiki:Welcome-user to one of the following:
Which actions to perform
Set MediaWiki:Welcome-enabled to one or more of the following (use a space to separate them):
* Note: this cannot be disabled if Achievements is enabled.
Show welcomes in RecentChanges?
By default, welcome edits are hidden from recent changes (unless you click 'Show bots').
If you would like to have these edits shown, edit MediaWiki:Welcome-bot-flag and replace it with a dash: -
To hide them again, set it to: @bot
Depending on whether a community uses talk pages or Message Walls, different messages need to be changed to customize the welcome tool experience.
However, in both cases, edit MediaWiki:Welcome-user-page to change the user page that the tool creates.
- Welcome messages will not be left for users with flags such as admin, bureaucrat, bot, staff, or helper.
- Welcome messages will not be left by admin accounts that also have the bot flag.
Further Help and FeedbackEdit
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check FANDOM Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting FANDOM for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use FANDOM in FANDOM University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience