Chat broken? Edit
I don't know if other wikis are having trouble with thier chatrooms, but everytime I try to open it up on the South Park Wiki, it crashes the browser. I've tried with Safari, Firefox, and IE. And it's not just me; other users have also complained about not being able to open it.
Can anybody help me out?08:01, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
- This is an ongoing problem for many wikis. The latest discussion about it can be found at: w:c:community:User blog:Flamefang/Chat: What's killing it?. For future reference, this Help Wiki is where Help documents are stored. It is not the place to seek assistance. In fact, it might have been days or weeks before anyone happened along here to see your request. You should seek assistance at the Community Central forums. — SpikeToronto 23:52, November 2, 2011 (UTC)
Posting in chat Edit
How do I post in chat? The page doesn't say, there are no buttons, and if I press enter my test erases but on the conversation above, my post is not shown. Shinigami CHOP! —This unsigned comment is by Puppy1 (wall • contribs) 00:47, April 24, 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- It’d be better, Puppy, to ask this question at w:c:community:Forum:Support Requests, the support forums at the Community Central Wiki. For future reference, this Help Wiki is where Help documents are stored. It is not the place to seek assistance. In fact, it might have been days or weeks before anyone happened along here to see your request. Hope that helps! — SpikeToronto 04:54, April 26, 2012 (UTC)
Okay, thanks. I have it semi-fixed, it works on Internet Explorer for me. Its actually an advantage now, Shinigami CHOP! —This unsigned comment is by Puppy1 (wall • contribs) 23:26, April 29, 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
Putting in ChatEdit
how do you put a chat in a new wiki. I dont know how. P.S its my new Wiki not somebody elses —This unsigned comment is by Agirlxoxo (wall • contribs) 00:13, January 20, 2013. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
It can be done by adding a <chat/> tag.
It is possible for admins to enable or disable chat at Special:WikiFeatures. I would like to know if there is a way to view a history of changes. For example, let's say a bureaucrat enables a chat on his wiki, but one of several people they have appointed as administrators keeps disabling it.
How could the bureaucrat find out who disabled it, and when they did it? Does wikia keep a history of these changes which bureaucrats can view? Otherwise it becomes difficult to keep the chat active and to institute consequences if admins disable it without permission against policies. +Yc 05:41, March 14, 2013 (UTC)
- Enabling and disabling features creates log entries in Special:Log/wikifeatures. (These also show up in Special:RecentChanges.)
Is it possible to add functions to the chat, such as a /me type of feature, bots, change the welcom text, spam filters etc?
Screwed up syntax in chat Edit
The chat has been very screwed up for me recently. First of all, I can't access the options menu in the chat anymore, and secondly, in one chat, and only one (w:c:bleach:Special:Chat), I get some very odd syntax after the welcome message that looks like
Schiffy (T|C) 16:59, July 10, 2013 (UTC)
- Please ask this question on the forums. There's actually a very relevant thread you should check out. Thisismyrofl (talk) 18:19, July 10, 2013 (UTC)
A few days ago, I went into chat on the computer, but it was a very small window. The maximise button was not allowing me to click it to make it big. It's the same on other chats. Any ideas as to what I do? User:Sorrelflower/Sig 21:20, September 27, 2013 (UTC)
Whenever I try to go on chat, only the typing box shows and nothing else... I think this is a bug or something... HELP!
How to edit chat?Edit
How can I do that to editing the chat ?!?
I have looked over and over at the help chat section but how do I add the chat tag to a page!? Please help!
Emoticon help Edit
random chat ? Edit
- It's best to ask this on the forums. I think there isn't, but there may be a custom feature someone has created -- sannse (help forum | blog) 15:08, November 11, 2014 (UTC)
How to add and edit a chat and emoticons?Edit
Well, i am the founder of a wikia, but i can't add a chat! I Tried going to "Chat" but it just made me make a page. How do i make a chat and emoticons for it?
Soul eater 23:56, December 8, 2014 (UTC)I Will eat your soul :PSoul eater 23:56, December 8, 2014 (UTC)
How do I make a user a Chat Moderator?Edit
Hi there! I just wanted to know how you can make a user a Chat Moderator. I have tried to do this on Special:Userrights but it does not work. Please help as soon as possible. Fluffrescuefan123 (talk) 01:07, January 10, 2015 (UTC)
How to customize emoticons?Edit
I know of some wikis, like The Hunger Games Wiki, that the chat room is named something other than "Live! Chat." How did they do that?
Update for Discussions ModeratorsEdit
I was wondering if anyone could possibly update the page to include discussion moderators, mainly the "User options" section. For example, can a Chat Moderator kick a Discussions Moderator or can a Discussions Moderator ban a Chat Moderator? DEmersonJMFM 14:22, September 8, 2016 (UTC)
- I think both Chat Moderators and Discussions Moderators have
chatmoderatorpermission, so I doubt they can kick or ban each other. Although I do think it should be clarified both Discussions Moderators and Chat Moderators have the permission to kick/ban regular users. -- Cube-shaped garbage can 14:42, September 8, 2016 (UTC)
- How do we add chat onto our own wiki?
Just rewrite it like DiscussionsEdit
Yes you heard me right, it shouldn't be a problem to give chat a "Discussions" style treatment with all that funky sexy material design wikia / fandom uniformal all in one style with its friendly mobile and desktop adaption code, while adding new features like sounds, link preview, video preview, emoticons flyout menu, history, better style, mobile support, etc... while also reusing old variables like MediaWiki:Chat-entry-point-guidelines but Chat for sure needs to be re-written and considering the leap from Forums to Discussions, I'd say yes you can do it, just do it! I wish I can offer some design help and ideas since I can but Wikia staff probably don't need my help, but anyway! Best Regards!--Jacob Mrox (talk) 23:28, November 21, 2016 (UTC)