Community Central
Community Central
m (→‎c:: missing colon)
(→‎Images: new section)
Tag: sourceedit
Line 34: Line 34:

:Which ''c''? In <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[w:c:freeciv:]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> the ''w:c:'' roughly means ''another wikia'' &mdash; Wikia was ''Wiki cities'' many years ago, that explains the ''w:c:''. In <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[w:c:c:]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> the 2nd ''c:'' is a shorthand for ''community'', where we are. In other words, you can link to ''community central'' from another wikia with ''w:c:c:'', example: <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[w:c:c:Help talk:Interwiki link]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> goes to this page here from any wikia. The folks on [[m:|meta:]] decided to use ''c:'' at the begin as shorthand for [[commons:]] some months ago, but I can't tell how far they are with this project, and when (or if) Wikia will also support it. At the moment <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[c:]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> results in a bad link here. &ndash;[[User:Dunnoob|Dunnoob]] ([[User talk:Dunnoob|talk]]) 14:49, September 26, 2014 (UTC)

:Which ''c''? In <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[w:c:freeciv:]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> the ''w:c:'' roughly means ''another wikia'' &mdash; Wikia was ''Wiki cities'' many years ago, that explains the ''w:c:''. In <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[w:c:c:]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> the 2nd ''c:'' is a shorthand for ''community'', where we are. In other words, you can link to ''community central'' from another wikia with ''w:c:c:'', example: <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[w:c:c:Help talk:Interwiki link]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> goes to this page here from any wikia. The folks on [[m:|meta:]] decided to use ''c:'' at the begin as shorthand for [[commons:]] some months ago, but I can't tell how far they are with this project, and when (or if) Wikia will also support it. At the moment <code><nowiki>[[</nowiki>[[c:]]<nowiki>]]</nowiki></code> results in a bad link here. &ndash;[[User:Dunnoob|Dunnoob]] ([[User talk:Dunnoob|talk]]) 14:49, September 26, 2014 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Images ==
  +
  +
Can this be used to make an image in your signature appear across all Wikias? [[w:c:starwars:Image:Gal-icon.jpg|15px]][[User:Olioster|<b><span style="color:purple">OLIOSTER</span></b>]] <sup>[[User talk:Olioster|<span style="color:white">(talk)</span>]]</sup> 09:22, March 27, 2015 (UTC)

Revision as of 09:22, 27 March 2015

Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

Interlanguage link

There is a referring page in German available which shoud be linked with de:Hilfe:Interwiki-Links. --Thomas Tunsch 10:45, 7 November 2008 (UTC)

Any Advantages?

Are there any advantages to using this over just providing an external link to another wiki on Wikia? Darkman 4 22:43, 23 May 2009 (UTC)

URL links can be block due to spam, and interwiki are shorter if you want to save bits of bytes --Cizagna (Talk) Central Dofus 00:03, 24 May 2009 (UTC)

Interwiki requests

I think it could be interesting to add a link to this page. --Cywil 20:49, January 18, 2010 (UTC)

Added. Kirkburn (talk) 12:35, January 25, 2010 (UTC)

Redirects that won't work

A few minutes ago, I tried to redirect a redlink on the iCarly Wikia Episode Guide to the Victorious Wikia, but I would up on a Wikia page I didn't want to be on. I can't even display the pages on this message board. I had no problem interwikilinking until tonight. Can somebody fix this for me? ----DanTD 00:47, August 15, 2010 (UTC)

Change suggestions

1. "Interwiki links are shortcuts that prevents you needing to use the full URL," because "shortcuts" is a plural, the following verb should be singular ("prevent") so it would change as follows "Interwiki links are shortcuts that prevent you needing to use the full URL," or probably better, using a different article to change the mode: "Interwiki links are shortcuts which prevent the need to use the full URL," I'm not really good at explaining English rules/grammar and stuff but to me the proposition sounds more natural.
  2. "So for example if you wanted to link to the Jedi page on Wookiepedia, you would use w:c:Starwars:Jedi." The correct spelling is "Wookieepedia" (two "e"s before the "p")

Just a couple minor corrections I would like to propose. —User:Jak Himself (talk) 22:47, February 28, 2014 (UTC)

Done, but it's a wiki, you can as well fix it as you see fit. The admins/staff will intervene if it gets out of hands. –Dunnoob (talk) 05:27, March 3, 2014 (UTC)
Ahh okay. On the wiki I got here from it says something along the lines of "suggest changes here" and provides a link to this page so I assumed that's what we were supposed to do. Thanks! —User:Jak Himself (talk) 17:19, March 5, 2014 (UTC)
Well, I'll clarify about that: it's best not to overhaul the entire Help page (which is transcluded on thousands of wikis, mind you!) without having a discussion first, hence the "suggest changes here", but nobody's gonna yell at you for fixing an itty grammar error. Thisismyrofl (talk) 18:36, March 5, 2014 (UTC)

c:

What is the c short for? Alysdexia (talk) 22:29, September 20, 2014 (UTC)

Which c? In [[w:c:freeciv:]] the w:c: roughly means another wikia — Wikia was Wiki cities many years ago, that explains the w:c:. In [[w:c:c:]] the 2nd c: is a shorthand for community, where we are. In other words, you can link to community central from another wikia with w:c:c:, example: [[w:c:c:Help talk:Interwiki link]] goes to this page here from any wikia. The folks on meta: decided to use c: at the begin as shorthand for commons: some months ago, but I can't tell how far they are with this project, and when (or if) Wikia will also support it. At the moment [[c:]] results in a bad link here. –Dunnoob (talk) 14:49, September 26, 2014 (UTC)

Images

Can this be used to make an image in your signature appear across all Wikias? 15pxOLIOSTER (talk) 09:22, March 27, 2015 (UTC)