Community Central
Community Central
m (Reverted edits by Venumssi (wall | block) to last version by Imamadmad)
(2 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 73: Line 73:

==Updating the info==

==Updating the info==

I've just added a bunch of extra info about source mode linking as well as some of the more advanced linking ways mentioned on this talk page. Hopefully this page is now a better resource for both new and more experienced users. [[User:Imamadmad|Imamadmad]] ([[User talk:Imamadmad|Contact me]]) 13:25, June 30, 2013 (UTC)

I've just added a bunch of extra info about source mode linking as well as some of the more advanced linking ways mentioned on this talk page. Hopefully this page is now a better resource for both new and more experienced users. [[User:Imamadmad|Imamadmad]] ([[User talk:Imamadmad|Contact me]]) 13:25, June 30, 2013 (UTC)
  +
  +
How do I make an external link open the webpage in a new tab/window instead of leaving the page it is on?[[User:Metacom|Metacom]] ([[User talk:Metacom|talk]]) 21:21, October 28, 2013 (UTC)
  +
  +
Right click it and hit "open link in new tab". {{SUBST:User:Imamadmad/signature}} 08:54, May 11, 2014 (UTC)
  +
  +
== Disappearing External Links ==
  +
  +
On the wiki I admin (Thrilling Adventure Hour), whenever you click to edit a page all of the URLs for external links within that page disappear. This means that every time someone edits a page with an external link, they have to re-enter all of that information, or else a link ends up dead if they forget to do it. Is this a known bug? Is there a way to fix it so that the external links don't disappear every time a page is edited? I couldn't find a topic on this already elsewhere here, but if I missed it please let me know.
  +
  +
[[User:Ahab99|Ahab99]] ([[User talk:Ahab99|talk]]) 21:16, January 18, 2014 (UTC)

Revision as of 08:54, 11 May 2014

Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

Too much focus on RTE

As it is, this page only gives information about how to use the Rich Text Editor way of making links. That is not very helpful for teaching the simpler method of using brackets. I have known many new users who have no idea how to make links in the correct format simply because there is no help page to teach it. I suggest that at least some instructions for linking without RTE be re-added to this page. Gardimuer { ʈalk } 19:19, July 17, 2010 (UTC)

I suggest adding a sub-section under each section for source mode. Duskey(talk) 10:55, August 26, 2010 (UTC)

I agree with the guys above. It's especially important as some wikis have disables RTE so users will need to know how to make a link in source. Also just way easier. Imamadmad (talk) 04:20, February 16, 2013 (UTC)

What is the best practice for linking to email address?

What is the best practice or best style for making a link to an email address? There are many ways to do it. Can they be shared? I don't want to put too many email contact info onto wiki pages as spam bots might troll for them as well. My address is Mark -at- Rauterkus dot com. But I could be Mark's email adress. Rauterkus 17:46, October 9, 2010 (UTC)

I suggest using Special:EmailUser/Rauterkus. Mark (talk) 18:35, October 9, 2010 (UTC)

Linking to sections

Is there any way to link to "sections" on pages? I can't find it anywhere on Wikia Help. Could someone please tell me how to do it? I think there is a way...

Thanks!
--Anr0328 (talkcontribs) 23:43, November 16, 2010 (UTC)

Yes. Link a page as you normally would but put a number symbol (#) after the page name and type in the name of the section. For example, in the Links page, if you want to add a link to the Adding an Internal Link section, write "Links#Adding an Internal Link". --NejiHyuga900 (talk | contributions) "I am the Thunder Dragon!" 04:03, December 19, 2010 (UTC)

A semi-related question, but is it possible to create anchors within pages on Wikia? Normally you can just use the {{anchor|my anchor}} template, however this does not appear to work on Wikia -- Haravikk 21:01, June 28, 2011 (UTC)

Wikilinks

I am sure there is a specific format for internal links pointing to Wikipedia. Please state it. RHaworth 12:04, January 25, 2011 (UTC)

[[Wikipedia:Jedi]] - here is where I found it. ~Dark Zestal 16:54, August 17, 2012 (UTC)

Changing color

I think it should also be explained how to change the color of the link, besides the basic blue. *Bereisgreat (shout!) 15:34, June 30, 2011 (UTC)

To change the color of a specific link, without changing the default colors for all links in the MediaWiki:Wikia.Css file, you would use the span tags like you do on text but this time you would use it on the right side of a pipe in a link for the alternate text:
Normal link:[[Help:Contents|Contents]] would produce this: Contents
Colored link:[[Help:Contents|<span style="color: lightgreen;">Contents</span>]] would can be used to produce this: Contents
Colored link with a background color:[[Help:Contents|<span style="color: lightgreen; background: black;">Contents</span>]] would can be used to produce this: Contents
-- (<span=help title="Morph">M o r p h | <span=help title="See what Morph has Contributed to Wikia Central">C | <span=help title="Morph's Discussion Page">T) <span=help title="Morph has made Special:Editcount/Jrooksjr Contribution(s) to Wikia Central" style="font-size:70%; font-weight:bold; background:#FAE0AE; color:black;">[[Special:Editcount/Jrooksjr|Special:Editcount/Jrooksjr]] contributions and counting. 14:02, May 7, 2012 (UTC)

Image linking

Is there a way to link images as well as text? WarriorLoverInc 12:29, May 7, 2012 (UTC)

I am guessing that you are refering to links to a image without actual'y diplaying the image! All you do is add a color : to just before the word File: just like you do with Categories to link to them.
Normal image[[File:Admin - Delete Image.png|100px]] produces this Admin - Delete Image
Link to the image[[:File:Admin - Delete Image.png]] produces this File:Admin - Delete Image.png
Adding alternate text to the image link [[:File:Admin - Delete Image.png|Click here]] produces this Click here.
If you are referring to making an image link to a page then you would add the parameter link=pagename to the image.
Image linking to Help:Contents [[File:Admin - Delete Image.png|100px|link=Help:Contents]] produces this Admin - Delete Image ↞ ↞ ↞ Click on the image.
-- (<span=help title="Morph">M o r p h | <span=help title="See what Morph has Contributed to Wikia Central">C | <span=help title="Morph's Discussion Page">T) <span=help title="Morph has made Special:Editcount/Jrooksjr Contribution(s) to Wikia Central" style="font-size:70%; font-weight:bold; background:#FAE0AE; color:black;">[[Special:Editcount/Jrooksjr|Special:Editcount/Jrooksjr]] contributions and counting. 14:12, May 7, 2012 (UTC)

Whitespace in external link

For example, I have a template that creates a link to an external site based on the current page name. When the {{PAGENAME}} parameter returns something with spaces, the URL is parsed only to the first space and the rest is used in the display text for the link. Statueofmike (talk) 04:42, September 21, 2012 (UTC)

• Courtesy of this page, I found a solution: Use {{PAGENAMEE}} instead of {{PAGENAME}}. Note the extra E at the end. This returns a URL-encoded string! Statueofmike (talk) 04:49, September 21, 2012 (UTC)

Can some of this info be put onto the page?

I have just been looking through this talk page after not finding what I needed on the main page (i.e. getting an image to link somewhere) and I found all the information I needed plus more here! Can someone please move some, if not all of this information over to the help page itself so people can learn about how to do more than basic RTE linking between pages (especially as said above that not all wikis have RTE enables on them so only display source)? Thanks, Imamadmad (talk) 04:29, February 16, 2013 (UTC)

Updating the info

I've just added a bunch of extra info about source mode linking as well as some of the more advanced linking ways mentioned on this talk page. Hopefully this page is now a better resource for both new and more experienced users. Imamadmad (Contact me) 13:25, June 30, 2013 (UTC)

How do I make an external link open the webpage in a new tab/window instead of leaving the page it is on?Metacom (talk) 21:21, October 28, 2013 (UTC)

Right click it and hit "open link in new tab". {{SUBST:User:Imamadmad/signature}} 08:54, May 11, 2014 (UTC)

Disappearing External Links

On the wiki I admin (Thrilling Adventure Hour), whenever you click to edit a page all of the URLs for external links within that page disappear. This means that every time someone edits a page with an external link, they have to re-enter all of that information, or else a link ends up dead if they forget to do it. Is this a known bug? Is there a way to fix it so that the external links don't disappear every time a page is edited? I couldn't find a topic on this already elsewhere here, but if I missed it please let me know.

Ahab99 (talk) 21:16, January 18, 2014 (UTC)