Community Central
Community Central

Special:Promote

There is no such thing as the Special:Promote page?Joletole (talk) 01:36, August 29, 2012 (UTC)

Go to Special:Version on your wiki and make sure you have MediaWiki engine version 1.19 or later. It should look something like below:
Product Version
MediaWiki 1.19.1
-- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 29 Aug 2012 2:19 PM Pacific

Doesn't have it

My wiki doesn't have the promotion. Can you please fix it. user:WiiWare, August 29, 2012, (UTC)

Are you you an admin on your wiki? What wiki? -- Fandyllic (talk · contr) 29 Aug 2012 2:19 PM Pacific

It was CPTB Wiki. It has the 1.16.1 version. WiiWare, 8:49, August 30, 2012, (UTC)

Well that answers why it doesn't have the Promote feature, doesn't it? The wiki must be upgraded to 1.19.1 version to have the feature.--OdranoellutaTalkSig.png 06:15, September 4, 2012 (UTC)

Wiki coding on Promote page

Does the "What's your wiki about?" section accept wiki coding? ---- Willie - HtS 15:16, August 30, 2012 (UTC)

To answer my own question, no, it doesn't. Now, I'm testing to see if html coding works. ---- Willie - HtS 06:11, September 5, 2012 (UTC)

And again, doesn't work. Can anyone help me out here. Is there a way to have stylistic formatting for this section on the Promote page? ---- Willie - HtS 13:37, September 6, 2012 (UTC)

Version?

My wiki has MediaWiki engine version 1.19.3 but Special:Promote still doesn't work. What now...? Candle9000 (talk) 07:29, December 13, 2012 (UTC)

Hi - I'm sorry to hear that. I this case, it is best to contact staff via Special:Contact/bug and they'll sort it out for you. Be sure to give a detailed explanation of what the issue is so they have something to work with. Good luck! --Spongebob456 (Talk) 07:34, December 13, 2012 (UTC)
It works now! Though I didn't send any report... anyway, thank you! Candle9000 (talk) 05:39, December 16, 2012 (UTC)

Confusion

Don't know if it's a problem on my part or yours, but I really don't understand what have you done with the promoting of the wiki I'm an admin of, Criminal Minds Wiki.

First, when I check the Promote feature on the wiki, I see approved all the Additional Images - 1, 2 and 3 -, BUT one of them - THIS ONE - has jumped to be the Main Image, while the image I made and submitted as the Main - THIS ONE -, has totally disappeared (was made by me, using the same template I made too for the rest, but superimposing the image we use in our main page where all the actual main characters of the series are shown, a composite I too made by myself).

Second, to add insult to injury, checking Wikia.com, when I finally manage to see my wiki as promoted there, the image I see as Main, is the one Wikia (that's what I want to think!) used as placeholder until we submitted ours... and that image is from the SEASON ONE DVD cover, where 2 actors that left the show years ago appear, and 1 that was made main latter, doesn't show up at all. Criminal Minds is currently airing its season EIGHT!

Please, can someone correct all this madness? Please!! Mvpl 18:50, February 2, 2013 (UTC)

Hey there, Mvpl! Sorry, I'm just seeing this now. I'm sorry for any frustration this may have caused as that's a very odd bug. I'll file a report with our technical team for someone to take a look and get it sorted out. Sorry for the delay! ----Trellar (help forum | blog) 18:44, May 7, 2013 (UTC)

Promote does not work

I cant find my page when i search the name. Ive promoted it months ago and checked everyday but could never find it. Dice: The Cube That Changes EverythingWrath2456 (talk) 03:17, September 3, 2014 (UTC)

I have MediaWiki 1.19.5 on my wiki (and I'm admin), but when I write ....wiki/special:promote on my wiki, it says that page like that does not exist

Adminstratorius Pupicucek Administratorius Pupicucek (Parašyti) 15:50, May 7, 2013 (UTC)

Hello! We currently do not have Promote enabled for Italian wikis as we do not have a main visualization set up for the Italian Hub. Feel free to reach out to the IT Community Helper, Minerva Titani as they may be able to help you get featured on the their main page of Central. ----Trellar (help forum | blog) 18:35, May 7, 2013 (UTC)

Promoting wikis in "minority languages"

I am the founder and chief admin of two wikis which are in the Malaysian language, and I need help to write-up for them on the Promote feature. My target audience is the Malay-speaking world, but what bothered me is that the Wikia main page doesn't have a Malay "Mix it up" for an obvious reason - there aren't enough Malay-language wikis on Wikia as we speak. Looks like I have to put up with the English main page for now. So I need advice as to what language to write-up my summary in - English or my language - so they'd be featured on the Wikia main page and the mobile apps.

To paraphrase: Even if I write-up in the language that is not available on the Wikia main page, would it still be featured on the "Mix it up" grid and so on? SayaAnakBangsaMalaysia (talk) 13:38, February 20, 2014 (UTC)

You should write the Promote content in Malaysian. At this time, the Wikia home page "remix" grids only feature wikias in the home page's language. So www.wikia.com features English wikias, de.wikia.com features German wikias, etc. And we do not have a Wikia home page in Malaysian.
The Promote content will be most helpful in the mobile apps when users filter for their native language. Currently only the Game Guides app has this option, but we plan to bring it to the My Wikia general-reader app in the near future. Thanks for asking about this! In the future, the best way to contact Wikia staff with questions is to use Special:Contact. BertH (help forum | blog) 01:20, February 21, 2014 (UTC)

Warning

Hello! I was want promote to my wiki but it says this: 

Tryagain

I checked my wiki's version. And it says my wiki's version is 1.19.18 What should I do? Thanks and happy editing! RamonaTalk or dieContribs Ask a question

New feature

When does anyone think the new  feature will be availible? FrogWatch26005 (Owl post) 05:12, November 4, 2014 (UTC)

Hey Frogwatch! I can't give you a precise schedule for the new mainpage promotion module - it's still a work in progress - but it's not going to be a whole quarter from now or anything. We know it's quite important! Ducksoup (talk) 23:43, November 4, 2014 (UTC)

Thanks, Ducksoup! FrogWatch26005Owl postContrib's

A few questions/concerns

• Why was this feature disabled?
  • Will wikis that have already submitted a description via this tool have to re-submit one once the new tool becomes available? If so, will admins have access to the old pictures/textual descriptions?
  • Is there any timetable (even a tentative one) for development of this feature? Feinoha Talk 18:43, December 27, 2014 (UTC)