Community Central
Community Central
Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

Redirect Category

if i put a "#REDIRECT [ [ Category:ABC ] ]" on a page, it redirects to that page, but it also adds that page to the cattegory.

So if ABC, abc and abcde all redirect to Category:ABC, all 3 of them end up as links at the bottom of the page.

3 Links from Category:ABC to Category:ABC isn't usful at all, how do i prevent them from end up in the category?

#redirect [[:Category:ABC]] ... the colon prevents it being parsed as a category flag, but instead as a link. Note that redirecting category pages themselves is not a particularly good idea, as it can make the category system more confusing. Kirkburn (talk) 18:24, 1 June 2009 (UTC)

Redirect to wikipedia and other things

Is it possible to create a redirect to wikipedia inside a wikia article? I tried this but it did not work (please see this http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Moon_Kingdom) also, I am creating a template (http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Monster-of-the-day) but I get the "Template loop detected" error message. What is going on?

Thanks,--Thisismyusername 01:08, November 22, 2009 (UTC)

Wikia does not allow redirects to outside wikis, or even other Wikia wikis, due to people being unable to return to the wiki they left after clicking the link because most browsers don't have back buttons, or something like that. It's explained in Help:Soft_redirect
The template seems to be working, so I'll ignore it unless further info is supplied. --Yoshord 01:50, November 24, 2009 (UTC)

Listing all redirects in a wiki

Hi to all! Does somebody know a way to show/list all redirects that exist in a wiki? I know there is the special page Special:ListRedirects, but it is limited to 1000 pages. If it is not possible, is there a way to find them (maybe via the logfile) by using the pywikipedia bot? Thanks a lot! --Plasmarelais 17:02, August 18, 2010 (UTC)

More names for pages

An example on HP Wikia if you enter a name like "Harry James Potter" it will redirect you to article "Harry Potter". I would like this for my Wikia as well, but I was wondering if they actually had to create all these pages or is it possible to make it on a page Harry Potter that if someone visits "Harry James Potter" it redirects him there? Thomas Geromy 13:55, November 10, 2010 (UTC)

Adding redirects in categories

Hi, is it possible to add redirects in Categories? For example, on my Cities of History Wiki i've got a page, 'Give/Get', and i've moved to contents of that page to the page 'Policies', then is it possible to redirect to the Policies page? Or can i merge pages? Grijze Pilion (talk) 19:22, May 24, 2013 (UTC)

Edit: Nevermind, i fixed it myself. —This unsigned comment is by Grijze Pilion (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.

Problem

I have a small problem: My wiki has category A, which is redirected to category B. There are some reasons which make me add category A instead of category B to a page (called page D). When I add category A to page D, that page doesn't appear in category B list. So what do I do now? I don't want to add those two categories at the same time. TsukasaHikaru (talk) 13:23, December 24, 2014 (UTC)

It is displayed in the main category if you're using category exhibition. If not, you're going to have to categorize it in both categories. --Tupka217 13:28, December 24, 2014 (UTC)
Unfortunately, the software we use simply doesn't behave in the manner desired (for now, at least): category redirects don't change what is written on an article. (This is also why renaming a category requires you to edit each article using that category) Kirkburn  talk  contr    14:35, December 24, 2014 (UTC)

Video

Make a video. It may be easier Wikiboy10 (talk) 17:25, September 16, 2013 (UTC)Wikiboy 10

Are you asking for a video tutorial for doing redirects, or replying to something else? (Btw, I moved your sig. It should go after your message, not before.) -Shockthetoast (talk) 21:26, October 24, 2013 (UTC)

Category redirect straight to page

I'm building a wikia for a music scene and I want to redirect place names (e.g. London) to the category pages (e.g. Category:London. I can do this by putting #REDIRECT [[:Category:London]] on the page but, unlike other redirects I've made to standard, non-category pages, you have to go through the page with the redirect on. So in an article, I'd click London, it would take me to the page for London and have the link to Category:London on it. Is it possible for me to make it so that if I'm on a page and click London, it goes straight to Category:London? Gedmundo (talk) 17:37, July 1, 2015 (UTC)

I'm not reproducing this issue so far - when I click a link to a page that redirects to a category page, I end up on the category. If you're still running into this issue, could you send in a report to Special:Contact for this to be looked into in more detail. Thanks! Kirkburn  talk  contr    18:01, July 1, 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for the reply. For reference, before I use Special:Contact, here's an example of what I'm talking about. If you click London (in the first paragraph), you may see what I'm talking about. Let me know what happens for you, because for me, it goes to the London page, not Category:London. Thanks. Gedmundo (talk) 18:53, July 1, 2015 (UTC)
How odd - I do see the problem there. Please do send in that Special:Contact report then :) Kirkburn  talk  contr    21:08, July 1, 2015 (UTC)
Can somebody post how this was fixed? I noticed that the issue is no longer present on Gedmundo's wiki, but my wiki is still suffering from the problem in some instances. Specifically, my pages for "Grimmoire" and "Advanced Enemies" redirect to "Category:Grimmoire" and "Category:Advanced Enemies" properly, but my pages "Core Pages" and "Basic Enemies" actually bring up the redirect page, rather than redirecting directly to "Category:Core Pages" and "Category:Basic Enemies". GingahNinja47 (talk) 18:04, April 10, 2016 (UTC)
This is because the second set of category pages don't exist as pages (though that do contain pages). Simply edit the category pages and add some content (e.g. a category or a line of text), and this issue should be fixed. Kirkburn  talk  contr    13:36, April 11, 2016 (UTC)

What's the point?

What is the point of redirects? Skywatcher123 (talk) 00:39, August 26, 2015 (UTC)

A redirect essentially allows more freedom in how you name articles. If you need to rename an article, a redirect ensures the old links will continue working, for example. Kirkburn  talk  contr    13:27, August 26, 2015 (UTC)
Ok thank you :) Skywatcher123 (talk) 16:54, August 26, 2015 (UTC)

Not Working

When I put the redirect on the page, it just says "#redirect" and then a link to the page. It doesn't actually redirect. Here's the page: http://toontownrewritten.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Cheese.  Please help. EmeraldKelsi (talk) 19:12, December 29, 2015 (UTC)

The page has since been deleted. You have to have #REDIRECT (or #redirect) followed by a link in [[straight brackets]]. Having other content (other than categories) may cause it to not work properly. --Tupka217 20:20, December 29, 2015 (UTC)

How To Redirect Link To A Category?

This may seem as a useless topic, but I am having trouble trying to figure out how to link a word to a category using source editor. When I link it, it links it to an article named Category:Classes", which, obviously, doesn't exist.

I have tried to find out how to just link the page to the category but I have had no luck.

If someone has a solution thats on another page, then could you link that page on the article: [1]

ProbablyNotANerd (talk) 08:29, June 8, 2016 (UTC)

Unfortunately, I don't quite understand the question. You want to link a word to a category ... but then you describe the normal behaviour for that kind of link (as expected, it points to the category page). What exactly are you expecting/hoping to happen instead? Kirkburn  talk  contr    14:26, June 8, 2016 (UTC)