Community Central
Register
Community Central
Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

Editing

I edited this page in July 2008, but noticed now that I can't edit any Help Namespace pages here. My question is this: is this apparently new change that permits only admins to edit Help Namespace pages Wikia-wide? Blue Rook 04:51, 12 November 2008 (UTC)

It only affects Wikia Help, due to Help:Shared Help. Kirkburn (talk) 13:23, 12 November 2008 (UTC) 

Admin rollback

possible to add a line here some where (maybe in the hot to add rollback/sysop section), that sysops dont need rollback also --Uberfuzzy 09:46, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Done. Kirkburn (talk) 14:51, 3 December 2008 (UTC)
Made it a little more noticeable because this is done a lot (on a daily basis), and added a section about bots. Probably may want to add another bullet to w:c:messaging:MediaWiki:Userrights-groups-help to note this. --Charitwo (talk) 15:24, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Uh! Oh! What?

Staff is the employes in the wiki are they paid like on the pay role?

Young Piece 23:23, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Staff have access to all of Wikia's wikis, they are paid employees of Wikia. See Help:Wikia Staff for more information. --Charitwo (talk) 13:48, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Buerocrat

Who is the buerocrat, or whatever,of the Road Wars Wiki THEBILL1996 16:52, 6 January 2009 (UTC)

Have a look at Special:ListUsers/bureaucrat. Followed by 100 zeroes (talk | contribs) 01:07, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
Er...I mean, have a look at Special:ListUsers/bureaucrat on that wiki. Followed by 100 zeroes (talk | contribs) 01:08, 7 January 2009 (UTC)

Admin question

Can Admin's give other Users Admin powers? --User:axx1000 19:42, 17 August 2009

No, only bureaucrats. Kirkburn (talk) 23:54, 25 August 2009 (UTC)

Changing permissions

Why can't an admin of an individual wiki block non-logged-in users from editing? I've started a wiki on a subject that's likely to draw several trolls, and I'd rather stop them from editing in the first place than have to clean up after them. Shiftnoise 00:00, April 5, 2010 (UTC)

Hello, this can be done on each individual wiki, but it is not something we would usually recommend. It's much harder to build the community on a wiki that blocks anonymous users. This is because many first time visitors will try out the site before logging and creating an account. Forcing people to log in first can put people off and slow the growth of your wiki.
While it is often true that more problem edits can come from anonymous editors, accounts are easy to make and it's likely that vandals and spammers will just switch tactics rather than go away. At least with anonymous edits, you can see which are the ones to check first, and can see the IP of the vandal directly. With this information it's possible (in some cases) to block a range of IPs and prevent someone editing who is switching IP addresses.
The main reason we recommend keeping a wiki open to editing by all, is that it's just more friendly that way. Open editing is an ideal, one that wikis were built on. We think it's good to keep wikis that way. Of course, there may be special circumstances on particular wikis, and we are always willing to listen to any specific considerations.
Best, --Sarah (talk 21:38, April 5, 2010 (UTC)

Autoconfirmed

Hello,

This page could/should also cover autoconfirmed users and especially how to become one. Different sources tell 10 edits + 4 days old account or 10 mainspace edits + 1 week old account. What is true for tibiawiki? Is it also possible for administrators and/or bureaucrats to speed up this process, by manually confirming users? If not, is it possible you would implement such a feature? Thanks ;)

{{subst:User:Bennie/Signature}} 15:22, June 14, 2010 (UTC)

Anonymous

Is there any way we can keep anonymous users from editing on our wiki?

You could request it from Wikia. However, they very rarely disable anon editing unless there is a very good reason. ~ty 05:19, December 9, 2011 (UTC)

New pages

How can I prevent users from creating new pages? --XXPowerMexicoXx

Request from Wikia to remove the createpage right from users and *. That would only allow Admins to be able to create pages. ~ty 05:20, December 9, 2011 (UTC)

Untils

I've found out that all Wikia Untils are all staff, and Toughpigs also have sysop rights Sam Wang 09:56, January 29, 2012 (UTC)

Authenticated

Will Wikia be adding a section for Authenticated users? Would that be added here as an additional section, or would a separate help page be created? If Staff would provide some guidance, I'd take on the task. Thanks! — SpikeToronto 16:58, June 27, 2012 (UTC)

Hi Spike! "Authenticated" is used very (very) rarely, and isn't something users can control, access, or apply for, so I don't think it's needed right now. When there's an Authenticated user on a wiki, the community is generally aware of it and what it means. Let me know if you're hearing about confusion anywhere. Thanks! --Dopp WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 17:05, July 2, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks Dopp! To be totally honest, I was just trying to get rid of a redlink at Special:ListGroupRights and was hoping for someplace to direct it to. :D It was never anything important. Thanks again! — SpikeToronto 04:04, July 3, 2012 (UTC)

Userpage titles

I'm not sure if this possibility exists, but if it does, it would be good to note it. Is it possible to edit wikis so that bureaucrats are listed as bureaucrats and not as admins?

Is it also possible to have a title on the userpage to distinguish those with rollback rights?

Currently I've only seen 4 titles: Staff/Founder/Admin/Chat moderator. I'm not sure if any others display like this.

I've seen some wikis that have custom usertitles (usually fitting a wiki's theme) so it got me wondering.

Also I made some edits to the wording of the page, added some information about these titles, and moved rollback before chat mod because it's clearly not as authoritative a position. +Yc 22:34, November 7, 2012 (UTC)

How to lock my wikia ?

Hi.

I created a wikia to help people, but now the community doesn't exist anymore. I asked them if they want to be admin, but they don't.

The wiki is about helping people on 2 games (Denpamen) by giving a lot of usefull infos. Now that everybody lost the will to continue playing, I want the wiki to be a "read only".

It happens 5 times that some user posts junks on the wiki, I don't want to spend all my life to watch it. For that reason, we agreed that the wiki need to be blocked (not deleted), in case one guy in the future want some infos on these games.

So I come here to ask you : Is it possible to restrict the permissions of the wiki, so that the admin can mod it but every other Users + Anon can only read the wiki.

Thanks for reading. —This unsigned comment is by Alfred-P (wallcontribs). Please sign your comments by adding "~~~~" in the source editor.

No, there isn't. Wikia does not offer private wikis in the manner you are looking for. Wikia wikis are meant to be collaborative and anyone can edit. You can always promote an admin or two if you're not able to look after the wiki. Rappy 17:59, November 26, 2013 (UTC)

Multiple Picture Upload

I can't find out which user role you need to have to get the multiple photo upload option.

Zitronenfalter12 (talk) 11:28, December 30, 2013 (UTC)

I can't add pages to any wikis. It says the wiki doesn't have that page, and I have good ideas!Anthonyjason15 (talk) 16:59, April 25, 2014 (UTC)Anthonyjason15

Adding Groups to Wikia

I need the Wikia staff create groups on Wikia that are global or managed on every wiki. Groups are global moderators, image controllers, blog patrollers and custodians that needed to be added on Wikia, was the same as the phpBB groups management that can be managed by an admin or founder on every wiki like as administrators, bureaucrats, rollback and chat moderators on those users request! Added those will be available in the user rights management by an admin when we've created those on a request! --User:Lt. Allen/Signature 1 14:16, April 27, 2014 (UTC)

You can suggest it on Special:Contact. However, I doubt they're creating more global positions (other than Staff, Helper, VSTF and I probably forgot some) without a clear mission brief or at least a different explanation from "that other site has this too". Wikia manages and recruits these global positions very carefully (as they should), and they definitely won't be available in the regular User Rights Management, if they're made at all. --Tupka217 14:24, April 27, 2014 (UTC)
Staff do not create global usergroups on request. However, they may consider local wiki usergroups instead for your wiki. – Ozuzanna 14:25, April 27, 2014 (UTC)
1) I told you 10,000 times to Special:Contact. 2) Staff won't add them to your sandbox wiki as there's no point. 3) They won't add it globally, again, no point and too many changes. — Jr Mime (talk) 14:30, April 27, 2014 (UTC)
I've contacted Wikia staff about I need them to create groups that are managed. --User:Lt. Allen/Signature 1 15:24, April 27, 2014 (UTC)
Personally, I fail to see the need. You can ask them, but make sure to explain why these are needed. Folly titles add nothing. --Tupka217 15:46, April 27, 2014 (UTC)

Custom Tags

I want to change the text for the 'Rollback' title next to a user, and also add other special title boxes, can anyone give me help? NTA65bz, wanna chat? 21:25, June 17, 2014 (UTC)

Hey, you can use UserTags script for it--~UltimateSupreme 14:40, June 17, 2014 (UTC)

Bureaucrats and Rollbacks Query

Are bureaucrats able to give themselves adminship?

Also is it possible to give rollbacks the ability to delete things? -- Stryzzar 02:55, October 3, 2014 (UTC)

Per the top of the page, this talk page is about suggesting changes to the help page, not asking questions. For that, you should be using the Forum -- a place that your question will be viewed by many more users and hopefully answered much quicker than here.
To answer your questions: yes and yes. The latter would have to be requested through Special:Contact though and would probably require some form of community consensus or discussion. Rappy 03:55, October 17, 2014 (UTC)
Thankyou so much, and sorry about the question thing. Stryzzar 11:25, October 17, 2014 (UTC)

Sarah Jane Wikia

Hi on the Sarah Jane Wikia I want to become an admin member of the wikia but there is no one active on the website apart from me. I want to make the wikia better and being an admin will surely help as I have other high positions on other wikis.

Thanks http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:GamerKid248

You can adopt it. --Tupka217 21:42, November 17, 2014 (UTC)

Order and Moderator

I think the order of user rights on the local level should be rearranged. Maybe Registered-Autoconfirmed-Emailconfirmed-Checkuser-Rollback-Moderator-Chatmoderator-Administrator-Bureaucrat-Founder-Bot? Right now it just seems out of order. Also, you should specify that Admin rights include Moderator rights as well. And maybe specify if Admins can give users moderator or rollback rights. Similar issue with bureaucrat. Would be nice if you could specify that they can manipulate moderator rights. CloneMarshalCommanderCody (talk) 04:34, January 29, 2015 (UTC)

Future users

the future users are superusers that will be that have the abilities for all the things bureaucrat,staff,checkuser,rollback,etc. i wish this

HELLO!

Hey!  I've looked FOREVER, and i've found no way to edit names for user right groups on a local wiki.  I've been wanting to learn how to do this.  I have been learning how wikia works on my testing wiki so I can help improve the Castle Crashers wiki.  ANYWAYS, being able to create custom user rights groups would be great.  Ragonoid (talk) 13:49, February 18, 2015 (UTC)

Here. --Tupka217 14:02, February 18, 2015 (UTC)
Addendum: you can change the names and create new tags, but you can't create new groups with powers. For that, you need to ask staff at Special:Contact/general; give good arguments for why you need that (and don't overkill). But they might say no. --Tupka217 14:03, February 18, 2015 (UTC)

Crats removing bot flag

Can someone confirm if this part is true:

Bureaucrats also have the ability to revoke a user's bot status in case the bot is malfunctioning

Some crats on some wiki's I've been to have reported that they can't remove a user's bot status at all. Is it a bug on some wiki's, or did Wikia retroactively remove this ability for some reason? --SuperSajuuk Talk Page | Tabber Code | Channel 16:21, March 25, 2015 (UTC)

By default, that is correct in that bureaucrats have the ability to remove bot rights. The fact that this isn't the case on some wikias should be reported to Special:Contact. It sounds like someone made a mistake when a custom usergroup was added or removed and should be fixed.
It is also possible that this was done intentionally. There have been cases where wikias had abused the power to demote bots and it was taken away. Regardless, to get this investigated, please toss the details to Special:Contact. Thanks. Rappy 16:36, March 25, 2015 (UTC)
Late, but thanks Rappy! I'll get a crat over on one of the wiki's where I'm aware of this bug to contact Wikia to get it fixed. Thanks! :) --SuperSajuuk Talk Page | Tabber Code | Channel 16:56, March 27, 2015 (UTC)

Thread Moderator

Hello. I am a bureaucrat at Hunterpedia, and we have a discussion about promoting a user to become a Thread Moderator for our forums. I have checked the Special:UserRights and could not find the Thread Moderator. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. - Darkchylde 12:02,3/31/2015

Re: rename

"It's what people call them" because it's what Special:UserRights is named. ;) -452 17:41, May 20, 2015 (UTC)

Indeed! I've been meaning to move this page, the thought just popped back into my head :) Kirkburn  talk  contr    17:51, May 20, 2015 (UTC)

Custom Titles

On my wiki, administrators/crats both have the title "Team Bandipedia" show as their title. Meanwhile, Rollbackers don't get anything. How do I change this? YellowLucario 21:55, June 17, 2015 (UTC)

See this. --Tupka217 22:00, June 17, 2015 (UTC)

User rights that are not yet listed

Help:User rights is missing information on Restricted-login, Image Reviewers, Content-reviewer, and Wikifactory, among other user rights. If anyone knows the details of these user rights could they add it to the help page? --LêgêndFPŠ wall
edits
12:59, November 17, 2015 (UTC)

This page does not need to have a list of every single user right that exists, especially for rights that no-one outside of Wikia employees are likely to have :) As such, these are not items we plan to add. Kirkburn  talk  contr    15:09, November 17, 2015 (UTC)

Question

I have a weird problem on one wikia I'd never expirienced through 6 years of editing different Wikias. Admin warned me (in a somewhat rude form) about contents of my user page, specifically about a list of all of my contributions I maintain systematically on an each user page on each Wikia. He says that that's why we have contributions pages (which list all of what we did chronologically, while I maintain the list to see specifically how much articles and categories I've created and how much of what I did and also to make it easily visible by others) so there is no need in that. But a question there is whether he has the right to tell me, what I should or should not have on my user page, if I have nothing prohibited/offending on the page? 

Admin is a Wikia Star, he's quite good at what he does but we had a few disagreements about his ultra-minimalistic approach on anything as he restricts pages from being in more then three-to-five categories and deletes nearly anything that he thinks is "speculative", which is frankly speaking is anything that was not directly and obviously stated on the TV series in question, so he more or less restricts users from making logical conclusions.

As I disagreed with his opinion on a few occasions (I was not protesting or adding something again, I just said that my opinion differs) such looks to me like he's nit-picking to have me banned. --Тостер (talk) 07:46, November 27, 2015 (UTC)

I believe that user pages inside a local wiki would fall in the category of a local issue - i.e. user pages are observed as part of local rules and admins and he more than likely has a fair amount of control over that. You can talk to him in a reserved manner about it and see if he understands, or if that's not possible you could simply reduce the list (like removing 'minor edits' and store the contents elsewhere. Noreplyz talk 09:18, November 27, 2015 (UTC)
As Wikia Staff, I wouldn't say we have a very strong opinion on the matter - but personally, I would say that a user page can contain whatever the heck the user wants, as long as it abides by the Terms of Use and doesn't interfere with the rest of the community. While local communities can set their own rules, we'd recommend against making them very strict since that will likely just discourage editors. Kirkburn  talk  contr    14:50, November 27, 2015 (UTC)
That's basically what I feel like - discouraged. He says that I'm "constantly editing your userpage (sic!) to the point where it's considered spam editing". --Тостер (talk) 00:14, November 28, 2015 (UTC)
If that is the case, consider keeping your profile edits to once a week or once a fortnight (and store your progress into a text file or something). The admin may just be cautious of flooding the Recent Changes/Wiki Activity, which may prevent effective monitoring of edits in the wiki. Noreplyz talk 00:24, November 28, 2015 (UTC)
That is what I'm more or less going to do, but he explicitly, twice, said that that's why you need "contributions" page, so I'm now afraid to get banned without warning... Great thanks for advice, anyway... --Тостер (talk) 01:55, November 28, 2015 (UTC)

Demoting Bureaucrats

Hello! 

Currently I am an admin on the Survivors by Erin Hunter Wiki. With the start of a new year, we, the other staff of the wiki, were wondering how it was possible to demote bureaucrats. I've currently done the reading on the User Rights page, and it says that other than demoting themselves, Staff can remove their rights. Considering that most of these users have personally said they were stepping down or leaving the wiki for good (or haven't been contributing for years and inactive), I was wondering if I could be directed to the place or person to speak about removing these individuals as bureaucrats. We're hoping to clean through our staff list. 

Thank you! 

User:ReikoMango/Sig 15:36, January 3, 2016 (UTC)

If the bureaucrat has been inactive for over a year (and you're an admin on the Wiki/ if other active admins get their consent to it in a thread) send into Staff in Special:Contact/general to remove the rights. If the bureaucrat has been active within the last year, start a public discussion with the community on removing their rights. If the majority agree, then send it to Staff in Special:Contact/general. Ripto (Talk) 16:08, January 3, 2016 (UTC)
Thank you for the help! I'll look into doing that. User:ReikoMango/Sig 16:11, January 3, 2016 (UTC)
Of course, anymore questions or concerns on this just ask :) Ripto (Talk) 16:12, January 3, 2016 (UTC)

Minor question

What is the MediaWiki group name for Content Moderators (for eg: MediaWiki group name of Admins is "sysop")? Lord Kavpeny (talk) 17:37, February 4, 2016 (UTC)

It is content-moderator. Rider ranger47 talk ~ contribs 17:05, February 4, 2016 (UTC)
Thanks a lot :-)
Lord Kavpeny (talk) 17:37, February 4, 2016 (UTC)

Obscure rights

Why is it not explained here what a "Dexboxpanel", "Sotdhelper" and a "Wikiawidget" user right is? Plus, does anyone know what they mean? PhilippL (TalkContribsGuestbook) 13:39, March 12, 2016 (UTC)

See #User_rights_that_are_not_yet_listed -- AmonFatalis 15:03, March 12, 2016 (UTC)
Indeed - and we are working on cleaning up some of these, so they may disappear again in the future. Kirkburn  talk  contr    13:53, March 14, 2016 (UTC)

Content moderator tag

Hi, I've seen that the sentence "Having this status causes "CONTENT MODERATOR" to appear next to the username on the user's userpage." is hidden now with the explanation: Not true, yet!

Does that mean this tag shall be given in the future or what does it mean?

Harry granger   Talk | contribs 

19:54, March 21, 2016 (UTC)
It's on our list to add in the future. Kirkburn  talk  contr    21:31, March 21, 2016 (UTC)

Volunteer Spam Task Force / Administrator Rights

It says that VSTF have Administrator access across all Wikia. Is it supposed to mean that they have access to the administrator user-group (which is true if this is the case). Or is it supposed to mean that they have all the same tools that administrators have (which isn't true since examining the ListGroupRights page shows that despite having access to the administrator user-group; they actually have fewer individual rights as a standalone group than administrators do, although the tools that VSTF have that administrators don't, make them more efficient with cleaning up spam). ― C.Syde (talk | contribs) 09:00, April 20, 2016 (UTC)

„Administrator access“ just means that one has much more abilities than regular users. It didn't say administrator-group-equal user rights, btw. Nevertheless, I've rephrased „administrator access“ into „extended user rights“ to avoid future confusion. :) -- AmonFatalis 10:59, April 20, 2016 (UTC)
There's confusion with "administrator access" for Vstf, yet under Helpers having it worded as "having most staff rights" doesn't confuse for being Staff? --Icier 22:01, April 20, 2016 (UTC)
Yes. When tallying up their rights, Staff have the most rights of any user-group. Helpers have the second highest number of rights, followed by Admins 3rd, and VSTF 4th. But that aside, when looking at the user-rights these groups have, Helpers don't even have all the tools extended to Administrators or even Discussion Moderators. While Helpers do have a significantly higher number of staff rights than VSTF, I think that the information regarding Helpers should be rephrased. ― C.Syde (talk | contribs) 22:05, April 20, 2016 (UTC)
I doubt that anybody would have mislead assumptions on the groups' tasks and permissions, only because of this page's blurry/inaccurat use of the terms „administrator access“ or „most staff rights“. But I've rephrased the section, highlighting the connection between staff-like tasks and user rights. -- AmonFatalis 23:37, April 20, 2016 (UTC)