Community Central
Community Central
Information icon 40px
Got a question about this topic?
Head on over to the Discussions!

Comments? Questions?

The Woman[]

Is the girl in the videos different than the girl in the spotlight, or is it me? --LordTBT Talk! 19:51, 6 August 2008 (UTC)

It's the same woman. We had trouble with the lighting in the videos, so she looks a bit different. Hopefully someone can improve on our attempts. :) -- BillK (talk) 20:14, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
Isn't it a bit horizontally stretched ? — TulipVorlax 19:12, 7 August 2008 (UTC)
It shouldn't be, but it might be appearing that way. This is just our first try at this sort of thing and we would love it if you ro anyone could improve on these clips. Jnewcombe 18:14, 8 August 2008 (UTC)
The woman is beautiful. Mateus95860

starting a page[]

can we get a video that explains how to start a page? its a very common problem/question i get asked, it would be nice to finally have a place to point people to/at. --Uberfuzzy 05:15, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

that's a great idea Uber! I will try and write up a script to get the ball rolling but if you would like, you are more than welcome to create your own demo/video Jnewcombe 18:15, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

Tech help...[]

Heya. I need some help with these vids... first of all: What software can I use to record the video. One I found has only option to record fullscreen vids, which isn't helpful as then noone can see texts :/ Secondly: Can vid be voice-less? You know... when I don't have capability to record vid with sound good enough for people to decipher by accent ;) :P Of course no sound == readable subtitles included. SkywalkerPL 16:51, 9 August 2008 (UTC)

Hey there - you can use any software you would like. We used Microsoft Movie Maker but you can use anything you like :-) For your second question, sound is not mandatory and if you think that your video is better without sound, then give it a shot! Try subtitles, sign language, or finger puppets, anything you want :-) We really appreciate your interest and please let us know if you have any other questions. Jnewcombe 22:57, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
You can't record the video using Movie Maker, can you? o_O SkywalkerPL 11:16, 12 August 2008 (UTC)
You can't "record" using movie maker but you absolutely can edit. Once you've edited in movie maker you just "publish" your video and it will convert it into a file ready to be uploaded :-) But you are correct, you will need a camera or some sort of screen-capturing software. Alternatively, you could also use powerpoint or some sort of presentation-software for the screenshots like we did. We love these questions, please keep them coming and we really want to help you generate one of these demos of your own on any topic you want to teach people about on Wikia. Jnewcombe 17:20, 12 August 2008 (UTC)
The idea of "presentation-software" make me come to Flash, and here is the outcome - How to use Recent Changes. Very basic, but looks like basic tutorials are most popular here ;) Still figuring out everything wasn't easiest ~_~ We could use a tutorial on making video tutorials, lol. :P;). Anyway: "you will need (...) screen-capturing software" - that's the issue I can't find answer for till now. What software to use is best? Which one allows to record only the area around cursor? SkywalkerPL 19:21, 20 August 2008 (UTC)
Skywalker - first of all, congratulations and THANK YOU so so much for your submission (and our first ;-). The new demo looks great and we are so excited to receive it and have you join the community. Regarding the software, your screenshots are really clear so I would encourage you to use whatever you're using. And you must by psychic, because we are actually in the middle of filming a "How to Create and Submit a Demo" as we type :-) Again, we want to thank you so much for your submission and encourage you to give us another one! It was really great, keep up the good work and please let us know how we can be helpful to you in providing more demos. Thanks again. Jnewcombe 22:14, 20 August 2008 (UTC)
Hehehe, finally I'm first to do something on wikia! :D :P;) But it's good to see you make a tutorial :) lovely :) If I may suggest something - make the frames around vids as templates - like {{TutorialVideo|[http://blip.tv/play/AcaSMI6oJQ Video at Blip.tv]|Top 5 Link|description}} or something similar - should make adding new videos bit easier, cause now even I had problems with finding from where to where should I copy to make it work (and I'm sysop of one wikia for over a year now) o_O. Looking for new tutorial SkywalkerPL 11:16, 21 August 2008 (UTC)
Not sure if you saw, but we added a "How to submit a demo" clip to the page. We also made a template so that it would be asier to post videos - great suggestion! Please keep the demos coming :-) and thanks so much for your interest!! Jnewcombe 00:12, 25 August 2008 (UTC)

Embed of BlipTV videos now a feature -- or not?[]

Wow. I love the new look of being able to put BlipTV videos into Wikia pages. Is this a new feature? Talked about it in May 2008 at the discussion page of the YouTube video page too. Rauterkus 13:36, 8 September 2008 (UTC)

• See past discussion here: Help_talk:YouTube
  • As of October 2008, I'm still not certain that the Blip.TV videos are able to be deployed on wikis, as is done on this page. It this a feature that we all can deploy or not? Rauterkus 15:07, 23 October 2008 (UTC)
The Blip.TV videos appear to come from this js: http://help.wikia.com/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ACommon.js&diff=5670&oldid=851 - it's not part of the YouTube extension. You could try that on your wiki until the extension covers more sites. Kirkburn (talk) 17:19, 23 October 2008 (UTC)
Thanks, but no thanks. I'll just hold my breath until Blip.TV has its own code, as does YouTube and Google Video. The fix needs to be much easier to deploy for me. Rauterkus 03:32, 25 October 2008 (UTC)

Subtitles[]

Anybody here knows how to add subtitles to video's? I'd like to create Dutch version's. Tedjuh10 - Talk 18:37, October 2, 2009 (UTC)

Try Amara.