Got a question about this topic?
see also Template_talk:YouTube
What about blip.tv? Edit
- Passed on? Humm, what does that mean? Rauterkus 13:23, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
Confirmed that Blip.TV does not allow for porn. So, it is okay and safe for wikia.com embed capability. Rauterkus 01:10, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- Would still love this as an option. Find out anything? Rauterkus 00:36, 8 January 2009 (UTC)
Video sites that do NOT support video embed code in wiki pagesEdit
The YouTube extension fails on some sites, sadly.
- The embed code from Blip.TV works on blog pages and regular, static web pages, but not for wiki pages, as of May 2008.
What about Hulu?Edit
See http://www.hulu.com/watch/19091/house-no-more-mr-nice-guy (hover over the video then click "Embed" on the left to find the embed code).
- Any response about Hulu? They do have some "R" rated content, but you must be "logged in" to Hulu in order to use that content. Otherwise, it is PG-13 fare and less. All videos on Hulu are from commercial broadcasters, so there is no need to worry about some random video showing up that may violate decency standards. Hulu is also **VERY** willing to work with 3rd party websites for custom content integration, which I think Wikia would more than qualify for.
- The problem with Hulu is three fold:
- There are "commercials" that are sent with the video stream. These are done either as a larger advertisement at the beginning, or something done like a commercial network television show spaced throughout the video. I don't know if this violates any advertising agreements with Wikia sponsors.
- Videos do come an go, where some links will go bad as content is occasionally removed. This is more of a local administration issue where site editors need to keep in touch with the links to make sure that the content is valid. I think this is one area where a wiki would be a strength rather than a weakness.
- Content may be restricted only to IP address from American or at least North American ISPs. I do realize that Wikia has a wider international audience, so this may be a little bit of a problem. Hulu has suggested in press interviews that they are trying to get permissions in place for some international content, but I haven't seen any firm stance on this issue.
- Anyway, if we can embed a Hulu video into a web page, it would be significantly appreciated. --Robert Horning 21:40, 24 January 2009 (UTC)
YouTube High Quality Edit
Could Wikia allow users to embed the High Quality (fmt=18) version of videos?
The extension Edit
Where can I download it? Jhjnju 00:52, 3 August 2008 (UTC)
Under the Examples section on this Page, you can put the following:
- User Page on Disney Channel Wiki. The URL is http://disneychannel.wikia.com/wiki/User:Pirakafreak24. Pirakafreak24 ( Leave a Message ) I can sing! Ha!. 21:12, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
Google video Edit
Please put the simplest wiki code as an option too:
- <gvideo>id code</gvideo>
It works fine. Inform people that the dash in front of the number is part of the ID.
To see an example please see:
--Timeshifter 04:54, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
For Archive.org audio? Edit
The Help page says: “Replace "id" with the unique identifier each site uses in their URLs.” The list includes audio at Archive.org
For embedding audio, Archive.org says: “NOTE: We are not able to offer a simple piece of HTML to show the playlist along with the player.”
Have no problems with getting YouTube videos linked on our Wiki, so assume I’m just missing something obvious about the id code here.
Could anyone tell me exactly what to write to have the following piece of spoken audio linked up to play on our Wiki: http://www.archive.org/details/JohnPeelSweetEatingGame
Steve W 15:25, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
OK, sorted out now. For anyone with the same problem, the answer to my own question. Dead easy really:
What about Metacafe.com videos? Edit
http://www.metacafe.com videos comes up in Google video searches:
Their videos can be embedded. Can Wikia set up some simple wiki-code for embedding their videos? --Timeshifter 01:15, 3 December 2008 (UTC)
Dailymotion.com videos Edit
Could Dailymotion.com videos be added to the to-do list?
I want to embed this Montevideo, Uruguay video:
- We don't yet support Dailymotion videos, but we can add it to our list of video providers to look at. Please see Help:Video Embed Tool for more information on which providers we currently support. Thanks! — Catherine (talk) 03:13, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks. I have decided to use the Video Embed Tool now that this float problem has been solved:
- http://help.wikia.com/wiki/Help_talk:Video_Embed_Tool#Float_problem_solved --Timeshifter 20:32, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
Youtube video playlist Edit
How can I get a youtube video playlist enable code to work on wiki(a)? Monster-Stevo 11:49, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, how do you add a YouTube playlist to the YTMusicPlayer template? I have a playlist I want to add to my profile, but I can't get it to work. And I need in to work in a few days.
Can't get height above 355 Edit
This extension says it allows heights up to 385, but I haven't been able to get heights above 355. When I specify that I want a video to have width=480 and height=385 (with videos that have a 4x3 aspect ratio, to display them at 480x360 resolution, since the bottom 25 pixels are Youtube's toolbar) the extension actually sets the height to 355 instead of 385. Please fix it so the maximum height is 385 like it is supposed to be and not 355. 385 is 360 pixels for video height and 25 pixels for YouTube's toolbar. I prefer the YouTube extension to the newer video embedding tool, because the video embedding tool doesn't allow you to set width and height separately, and assumes the videos have a 16:9 aspect ratio, leaving huge black areas on the right and left sides of videos with 4:3 aspect ratios. --The Overmind 22:30, March 10, 2012 (UTC)
Aspect ratios Edit
Wikipedia: Aspect ratio (image). I think some of the info on this help page about the Youtube extension and aspect ratios may be incorrect at times. This is because in my opinion some of the editors of this help page are confusing the Youtube extension with the default video embed tool. For more info and links about the 2 video embedding tools see:
I have embedded many videos with the Youtube extension. Almost all of the videos on the Cannabis Wiki are embedded with the Youtube extension. See:
I set only the width, and let the Youtube extension set the height. This prevents the problems shown here:
- http://cannabis.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Video_shrinkage_problems ---Timeshifter (talk) 01:47, March 25, 2012 (UTC)
See discussion here:
- community:Forum: Youtube extension needs empty div tags to allow paragraph breaks and to fix caption placement --Timeshifter 11:38, May 8, 2012 (UTC)
Can no longer be used as an audio player?Edit
No actual example of how to center a video thumb Edit
Did I miss it?
<div style="margin:auto; width:greater than # below;">
From the list of "Other usable video sites". It appears that GameTrailers no longer uses the short video IDs, and I was not able to get the longer ID from their current embed code to work. BertH (help forum | blog) 22:18, November 7, 2012 (UTC)