Hubs and stars Edit
Hey, currently all the Hubs have lists of popular wikis, and wikis with a certain number of articles have a golden star by them. But I had a thought... what about, instead of using Template:Star2, make a new template for those lists, where it either doesn't have a star if it has relatively few articles, a Bronze star if it has quite a few articles, a silver star if it has rather a lot of articles, or a gold star if it has a ton of articles? It would be a lot of work to change over the templates and check the numbers of articles and stuff... but I could rig up a quick way to do it and convert all of the hubs this weekend, if you like the idea. What thinkst thou!? Hope to here from you soon! *hugs and kisses* --NOTASTAFF GPT(talk)(eating) 05:36, 23 October 2007 (UTC)
Guitar Hero Wikia Edit
Re:Hi there, I noticed there have been a bunch of new editors since this wiki went into the Wikia Spotlight,but no-one is welcomeing them. Do you know is any of the admins are active? Are you still around?
Well, because I had no help, for awhile now I haven't really been active. But I'll be gald to help keep the Wikia going with some help. Also, I was never given admin prviliges. Nyax 04:46, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
- Angie is a member of Wikia staff, so it's safe to say she's still around. :P
- You don't need to be an admin to welcome users, if you don't have a welcome template yet a short, friendly welcome from you will more than suffice.
Could I have some admin powers? There are some vandals that are starting to annoy me and I'm really the only one currently active (except for a few newcomers). LedZeppelin19 17:28, 29 October 2007 (UTC)
Halopedia Featured ArticlesEdit
I've emailed the group responsible for selecting featured articles, and we'll be going through the Halo 3 category to find them ASAP.
running a contest on a wiki Edit
i got offered some beta keys for the upcoming eq2 expansion to give away via some sort of contest. not sure what kind of contests are feasible for a wiki to run, thought you might know. need to think of something fast, expansion launches in <2 weeks. --Uberfuzzy 22:42, 30 October 2007 (UTC)
RE: Featured Articles Edit
Glad to hear from you again!
Coincidentally, the Featured Article group was just talking about getting new FAs actually the day before you send the message to me. :P We will get new FAs out ASAP in a few days, and will try to fix up the FA page to make it look better! =] Thanks much!
RelentlessRecusant 17:52, 31 October 2007 (UTC)
- Dear Angies, we've passed four more FAs. While I believe two are of questionable quality, two I believe are exceptional; Mongoose and Flood. We're all working very hard collaboratively on FAs, and we hope to have more articles on the FA page soon for you. =] Cheers, User:RelentlessRecusant 16:45, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
I'm one that you helped with the Monobook thing. Thanks for helping me! =D --Blemo
Question about updating DynamicPageList extension for TabulaRasa wiki Edit
Hi Angies, and greetings from TabulaRasa wiki. Thank you for your support. The LotRO wiki is using DynamicPageList extension for many listings and it works great with no more outdated lists. We have tried to do similar things on TabulaRasa wiki for Logos listing and planing to use it for other things, but the DPL version installed is 1.2.1 and documentation available is for current version 1.5.2. It takes a little bit more work to figure some things out... I'd like to ask you, if it is possible to update DPL extension to version 1.4.5 (or newer), because it would solve a lot of headaches for us (sorted by priority from highest to lowest)):
- Until 1.3.2 it was only possible to use templates before DPL (as parser function) or after DPL (as parser extension). Using templates before AND after DPL is not possible with version 1.2.1
- Version 1.3.9 adds support to create table output easily. More table output features were added in 1.4.2
- Category names cannot include spaces when we want to list articles containing in its subcategories - solved in 1.3.4 (workaround exists thou)
- For including parts of articles based on Headlines it's very useful to use Regular expressions. This was added in 1.4.3
- 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 are just bugfixes.
Thank you in advance → Zarevak 15:57, 11 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hi Zarevak. Unfortunately there seems to be something in the latest version of DPL that is incompatible with Wikia's set-up. We tried to install it, and it broke. So it's going to take more work to get the two to synchronise correctly. It's definitely something we want to do, but it may be a while before it can be worked on. So sorry for the delay, and hopefully we will be able to upgrade this in the future. -- sannse (talk) 10:00, 16 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hi Sannse, thank you for your effort and information. I hope you'll be able to resolve it soon. Have a nice day → Zarevak 11:35, 19 November 2007 (UTC)
RE: Hiya Edit
Indeed, this could be used to help make a Call of Duty 4 article on multiplayer tips, but I don't think I'd be a good person to write it. I don't quite have Call of Duty 4 yet. :( --Signatures/Chiafriend12 22:57, 19 November 2007 (UTC)
Complete Mass Effect Wiki Edit
Hey Angie, I think merging is a good idea, but we're having way too much fun over at Complete Mass Effect to stop now. I know you guys are a business and money talks, but I don't think we want to merge (unless you guys want to come help us out).
I wish you all well, let's stay in touch. By the way, tell me what you think of our new site design. Vtshipe 05:06, 20 November 2007 (UTC)
Mass Effect Wiki concerns Edit
I am concerned about the Mass Effect Wiki administrator Bioevil087. I have tried to communicate to the administrator there and my note was deleted. I believe it is inappropriate to threaten users   acting in good faith with banning (and Mass Effect Wiki agrees). Furthermore, I believe it is against any wiki's best interest to allow someone to act as a dictator. The entire idea, as I understand it, is to come together as a group to work for the betterment of our subject. I bring this up because I want ME wiki to be a positive community and have worked hard to make it so. --avfanatic (talk) Nov 26, 2007
- Avfanatic, I usually try to stay out of community issues and mostly focus on marketing, although I will do what I can to help anytime. Kirkburn has loads of experience from his time on Wowwiki so is a great barometer for this stuff. Also User:Sannse from the Wikia community team is a great person to go for help too! angies (talk) 03:13, 30 November 2007 (UTC)
Hi Angie :)
Wouldn't it be better to have moved that article to retain the author's history instead of copying/pasting? --Talk 23:10, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
You need to restore the deleted article, then move it to the place you pasted it to. The only place that has move restrictions is moving into or out of the category namespace. --Talk 23:20, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
Yeah, he got it. Just need to delete the redirects now. If you have any questions you can ask me, and you should sign onto #wikia sometimes :P --Talk 23:42, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
Re: Grand Theft WikiEdit
Thanks for raising your concerns about Grand Theft Wiki. I didn't mean to imply that the status of admins on the old en.gta.wikia.com would be ignored, more that it doesn't neccessarily imply automatic qualification for adminship according to Grand Theft Wiki policy. However, reviewing the actual list of admins on the old wiki, it appears that almost all of them were also administrators on Grand Theft Wiki. Thus I have absolutely no problem with all the old admins from both wikis continuing to be administrators on the merged wiki. However, the administrators on the old Wikia were all also bureaucrats - would it be possible for these to be all SysOps (Administrators) whilst myself and Thai420 remain bureaucrats (Managers)?
Also, our Statistics show we have over 5,800 pages - does this qualify us to be listed on Big wikis? I have also mentioned this to TOR. The point of my comment on the merge page was that we do of course intend to fully integrate the two communities, but in a controlled manner rather than just gluing the two together and hoping for the best. Thanks - Gboyers (?) 15:57, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
- No problem, I'm glad to see the wiki doing successfully, and a lot of new people contributing. Promotions are definitely a good project to work on. I personally have limited contact with Rockstar/Take 2, mainly just receiving press releases, screenshots and other announcements. Other fansites (including The GTA Place, where I also help out) receive packs of promotional material ("care packages") such as t-shirts, baseball caps, posters, window stickers etc, some of which could be used as prizes if we did that. I'll try and get in touch with Take 2's press end, or any PR company they use. Certainly giving away a copy of the game, or even a PS3 or Xbox 360 would be an excellent way to revive this slightly-dormant community - bearing in mind the last major GTA game release was back in 2004. I'm certainly thinking of running some polls, and we're looking at the Forum features that Wikia has to get a bit of banter going between visitors and contributors. Could you explain what you mean by an "edit contest"? Thanks - Gboyers (?) 09:50, 3 January 2008 (UTC)
- So a minimum number of edits to enter the contest, that's a good way of encouraging contributions. Then either a random winner or judged quality of some creative work, either wiki-related (such as 'quality of edits') or GTA-related (storyline suggestion, feature suggestions, creative artwork, map design etc etc). I'll publicly post up for some competition suggestions - thanks for the idea. TGTAP's contact (and mine for the press release) is just the webmaster at Rockstar (email@example.com), but that contact has changed recently I've heard, and thus may not be as willing to dish out freebies, and not to mention Rockstar being notoriously tight-lipped about... everything. Take 2's website suggests (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (email@example.com), so try both. I'd also suggest speaking to Edelman (Microsoft Xbox's PR, XboxPress@edelman.com) and Gamerscore (firstname.lastname@example.org) and see if they'll contribute from their end (console, accessories, games). Good luck - Gboyers (?) 20:58, 3 January 2008 (UTC)
- I will try to get in-touch with someone at RockStar next week. I think it makes sense to time the contest close to the release date so that we get alot of new content on GTA IV so we have some time to get this worked out. angies (talk) 16:48, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
Re: Checking in and Fanon Edit
I was noticing a sudden influx of new users too. Is there an easy place to check page views?
Ironically, Relentless Recusant spun off a fanfiction wiki only a week or two ago.
Link: http://starcraftfanfiction.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page PsiSeveredHead 23:24, 17 December 2007 (UTC)
Can you get on IRC or Skype sometime, I need to talk to ya. --Talk 18:17, 29 December 2007 (UTC)
Hello and Help? Edit
Hello Angies, I'm am Admin/Sysop from the Kingdom Hearts Wiki, PanSola had recommended that I speak to you for my problem, I wanted to know is there any way that you can advertise our wiki? Our community consist of about 9 active members and is slowly growing but we need more help. Do you think you can help us out? PanSola also refernced Jimbo, do you think he's a better marketeer? Any kind of help is greatly accepted -Azul 06:10, 2 January 2008 (UTC)
Thank you very much. I will be getting in touch with some of the fan sites and look for the official site :) -Azul 21:30, 2 January 2008 (UTC)
Thanks from SSB Wiki Edit
Thanks much, we need more publicity and the Wikia spotlight will help. Bonko24 19:15, 2 January 2008 (UTC)
SSB/Nintendo calloboration Edit
User:Bentendo from Nintendopedia, now Nintendo Wikia, is creating a launch center for Brawl with us. We haven't worked out the details yet but we'll probably have links to it on both main pages. Bonko24 11:59, 10 January 2008 (UTC)
Complete Mass Effect Edit
Hey there, it's me from www.completemasseffect.com. Thanks for the complement. I'm still not so interested in merging. Paying for the domain and hosting fees isn't that big of a deal and I like that my wiki isn't crammed with advertisements. If this is business to you, then I can talk business. I am proud to say that I'm google's #1 for "Mass Effect Wiki". VTShipe
My apologies for not responding to your proposal for some time. I have been mailed by Wikia with the same proposal before, some time ago though. I'm currently in process of transfering the wiki to another network to be hosted there, so I'll have to decline the offer. --Mopster --126.96.36.199 09:16, 17 January 2008 (UTC)
Gamespot & GTW Edit
Excellent news, and great work. A Gamespot collaboration (like the halo one) is a perfect idea. We do currently have a basic featured article system, with a category, template, summary page and an excerpt on the homepage. I will upgrade this to include several FA templates and make a fully-functional list ready for extraction, and make a more GTA-related logo. Any news on the above?
Metal Gear Wiki on Gamespot Edit
Thank you for your help with our featured article page, sorry for the mistake. It's just that I'm not very good with coding and things and the "w:c:inside:Featured Article System" seemed like a load of gibberish to me so I just copy pasted and edited the Mass Effect one. Thanks again. --Fantomas 22:17, 21 January 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you for your speedy response and for the link. Is this function disabled for Grand Theft Wiki? I see no exclamation marks or [Mark as Patrolled] links.
- As an aside, I am very excited about this wikia. I believe we can make this the online resource for GTA info. If you have any ideas, feel free to contact me. Thanks for your time. --GuildKnightTalk2me 02:43, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
- Patrolling should be available to patrollers, not just sysops. That designation is currently defunct as we have no way of changing user groups. So we either restrict it to sysops (currently 3 active sysops), or to all members (potential of bad edits being marked as patrolled), or have a Special Page for assigning patrollers. I am undecided as to which option is preferable, as patrolling is only one mechanism for capturing vandalism, and it could encourage our members to be actively involved in working on the wiki. This should probably be discussed on the wiki in public before any further implementation, gaining a consensus among members and consent from staff - Gboyers (?) 02:47, 1 February 2008 (UTC)
Featured articles on HammerWikiEdit
Hi angies, I finally got round to sorting out the featured articles at HammerWiki to incorporate your great suggestions. Just thought you'd like to know. Also, we're still having issues with wikia's interwiki links not working since the merger, and usernames already registered on wikia. Thanks. -- Pendrako 22:19, 22 January 2008 (UTC)
Changing default skin for StarCraft wiki Edit
Hi Angie! You might remember me from several months ago.
I'm having a problem with the wiki's default gaming skin. It makes the links hard to follow, and surrounds images with a weird white border.
Is there any way to change the default skin to the "wikipedia-style" skin instead? PsiSeveredHead 01:44, 24 January 2008 (UTC)
What Do You Think? Edit
Hi Angies I am Dunklebug from The Club Penguin Wiki and am here to ask your opinion. Kirkburn has been criticizing me and TurtleShroom for "Abusing Our Admin Power".
He criticized TurtleShroom for throwing around bans lightly. He criticized me for doing a wrongful ban
What I Did: I blocked a user named Peach because on a talkpage she said "FOR GODSAKE THIS IS AN ENCYCLOPEDIA" (She Was Complaining & Very Rude) Since We Have Quite A Few Christian Users on the wiki and tought that it would be offensive to them. I told Kirkburn I'm only 11 there is no reason for him to think it was a wrongful ban. That could be really offensive to the Christian users. Overall we are fedup he has almost been harassing us of abusing our power.
Please Respond On My Talk Page What You Think, If You Think It Is A Wrongful Ban I'll Reverse It.
P.S. If my name comes up red like I have no user page I don't know what's wrong (On This Comment) Please Go To www.clubpenguin.wikia.com
Thanks Have A Nice Day! =-] Dunklebug 02:32, 2 February 2008 (UTC) Dunklebug