I've been beating my head on a problem. It's WoW related and you're listed as an expert on spells and abilities there.
I need to find a source, in detail form, of the effects of harmful auras.
I know, for instance, that Crowd Control is broken down into categories like "disorient, stun, root, etc."
A few sites list "examples of Crowd Control spells/abilities" but that's not particularly useful as 1) I don't know how current those lists are and 2) they're not complete lists.
I know I can go search "Prot Warrior Intercept" and get a few reference sites that will tell me that Intercept Roots a hostile target for 1 second and Slows a hostile target by 50% for 8 seconds. What I can't do is search out "what roots hostile targets" and get back a list of spells and abilities that do that, or at least not one more current that two or three xpacs ago.
I need to find a way to discover what spells/abilities cause what debuffs short of wading through the site, spell by spell, ability by ability, and hoping the information I find is both current and correct.
Frankly, I doubt I'd live long enough to finish the task. Somewhere around day 35 of that, I'm pretty sure I'd open a vein.
UnitBuff() returns all but as if you had filtered UnitAura with "HELPFUL"
UnitDebuff() returns all but as if you had filtered UnitAura with "HARMFUL"
UnitBuff() and UnitDebuff() are just wrappers for UnitAura() with the filters preset.
What I mean by "harmful aura" is what Blizzard means by "harmful aura" - any aura that would be returned by UnitAura() if it were present on the subject of the function and the function was run with the "HARMFUL" filter applied OR any aura that would be returned by UnitDebuff() if it were present on the subject of the function.
Wowhead has no ability to select spells by Buff or Debuff applied. I can run a filter against the database, but the results were worse than useless (defined as "producing results that appear to be less useful than just going in one spell at a time"). Plus, many, many of the spells in its inventory are badly out of date or obsolete.
If WowHead were current (or had a clearly identifiable tag in an article that indicated that it had been updated to information relevant to the current release of the game) and if it had the ability to produce a list based on Aura applied, I could simply look for spells that apply "slow", spells that apply "root", spells that apply "disorient", etc. But the lack of currency, the failure to remove clearly obsolete entries, and the inabiltiy to effectively select from the database by filtering on aura applied, it's pretty useless.
I thought perhaps there was a way to get to the raw data behind it all. Even a raw-but-complete table of spellIDs and names would be at least a little useful, although it would just drive the mind-numbingly slow process of checking them one by one on four or five different wiki-ish sites trying to find most-current data from which to develop the final list.
So the Lua thing at Thread:1227317 says solved, but I'll warn you that many modules from Wikipedia may not work, because of the differences with Wikia's version. Are you still having problems?
Looks like Andrey Andrey has you covered on the RegEx thing. He basically did what I would have done... I probably would even have used Notedpad++ to experiment. He also has a very nice explanation for how he used it.
You might ask him for a non-cyrillic screenshot of his find/replace screen, though... ;-)
Some may not work but the module I am working with works. Someone just figured out what to do and that solved it. They did it after I asked you here. Andrey Andrey said "it might be not the best example of regex, and it can be possibly made easier and better, but it works." So I was wondering if you had any better advice or something.
Technically you could make an HTTP request to Special:Editcount/Yourname and parse the returned HTML but that means you won't be able to process that data the non-JS way. For Lua, I believe that would be too expensive so they didn't include that functionality.