Wikia

Community Central

The 888th Avatar/Archive 1

< Message Wall:The 888th Avatar

50px-Replacement filing cabinet.svg This page is an archive. Please do not edit the contents of this page. Direct any additional comments to the current talk page.

WelcomeEdit

Welcome, The 888th Avatar, to Community Central!

We are a friendly community here; most of us are active on an individual wiki, and many of us are active on more than one.

If you're looking for help, use the Community Portal or Help Desk. For finding a helper or a staff, speaking your language, see the page Staff and Helpers by language. If your wiki needs something done, leave the details on the Volunteer Portal. If you need assistance from a member of staff, leave a message with one of the Community Team.

You can get live help from community members and staff in our IRC channel. There are also channels for larger Wikia and their communities. Here you can socialize and get to know your community!

If you have an idea for a new wiki, please let us know! Check out new wikis and see if any of them interest you. A directory of existing wikis is also available.

Finally, please keep an eye on the recent changes to see what the community is up to and to help revert spam and vandalism.

Enjoy! --CharitwoTalk 00:03, 29 December 2008 (UTC)

Friends Edit

I know I have said and done bad things to you and other members of A W but I am sorry, I only want you to forgive me. You may here from me very little now as our main place of meeting LOL is no longer available. I just hope we can remain friends. I am not asking to eb unblocked. Azula-dobs-c7 - Luvingazula - Talk 15:53, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

I was about to say sorry but it seems that I already have. There is no harm in saying it again is there? Luvingazula - Talk 07:46, 15 April 2009 (UTC)

Well, not really. Feel free to talk to me any time, but the block stays on Avatar Wiki. The 888th Avatar (Talk) 07:50, 15 April 2009 (UTC)

Can you not see the bold text? Talk to you anytime? If I want to bore myself I will. Luvingazula - Talk 07:54, 15 April 2009 (UTC)

Sure, but preferably on IRC. It's faster that way. Join the channel ##wjxhuang. The 888th Avatar (Talk) 08:04, 15 April 2009 (UTC)

I will but give me 4 hours or so. I got to kick ass on the golf course! 08:23, 15 April 2009 (UTC)

ScoobyEdit

Yeah, it looks like Scooby is about to play dead :) The main page is top priority, I just took a peak and started a sandbox for it - but no ground breaking stages reached. A lot needs HK, some news, about, directing new visitors etc - though it needs regular troopers who know what that are doing. I don't want to drain the Avatar resources, not that anyone is not welcome to help.
BTW, I stood back from Avatar, but not likely to stay away. Needs a little water under the bridge and a fresh take/perspective. I don't see myself as a fold my arms and bite my lip person - that would be giving up. I'm hoping it cools down a little. I'm sure everyone is relieved that there is ambiguity wrestling :). Do you think Zero would make himself busy now he is semi retired in Avatar?

Scooby 2Doo(s)Edit

Your right - this is a challenge, especially for the unskilled (me)

• Main Page - WIP/888
  • Side Bar
  • About Scooby-Doo wiki - WIP/Piandao
  • Templates
  • Categories
  • News (site and media)
  • Templates - welcome (urgent), News (main page link),
  • more stubs added
  • disambiguation

and so on.... Good night - or when you read this .. good morning! Piandao Talk 15:42, 4 June 2009 (UTC)

Still around :) Good to know that you may be back on Avatar, but don't worry, I'm not draining myself to help other wikis, I do it all the time (evidenced by the prevalence of my user page template - which is actually far less common than some othe people I know). Yeah, I've just sorted out a beta skin design, you can copy into your personal css and preview it.
  • About the main page - I'll deal with that tomorrow night.
  • Sidebar - you'll need adminship before we can sort that out :(
  • About the wiki - definitely your job, I'll be taking your lead here
  • Templates - let me know what you'll want, but infoboxes will take me the longest, because they get me muddled up. I can deal with the rest fairly quickly though. I can get the welcome sorted out very quickly though.
  • Categories - Should be fairly easy but boring to sort out
  • News - Still thinking about it...
  • Stubs - Annoying, try to get Joey to bot that...
  • Disambigs - Low priority in my opinion, but will get around to it.
In summary, I'll be dealing with the main page, the welcome template and the categorisation in the next one or two days, before moving on to the rest. Glad to be able to help! :D Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 15:49, 4 June 2009 (UTC)

Yeah disambigs are not urgent but they cause issues with 1k ways to write Scoob, Scooby, Scooby doo/-doo/-Doo etc too often The is used in the title and many repeat pages. The people editing/creating should not have to look for The Ghost of Captain Cutler/Captain Cuters Ghost, I guess there wil be impetuous editors with little experience. I'm thinking it's less maintenance until the site has regulars for maintenance.
Did not know a bot could sort stubs - I went over 40 if not fifty last night, bring it o Jeoy.. Can it do pages that need bring up to standard - for get that it will be on over 90 of 100 pages :D
Pin a another star/wiki on your badge/template :) Oh and the list is for everyone - I'm not whipping you. I'll add it to my scooby user page for now Piandao Talk 16:04, 4 June 2009 (UTC)

I'm planning for the worst case scenario - just you and me doing the work of what would normally be ten editors. I can see why the disambigs are up there, the wiki has been left in the wild for too long, no-one's been carefully checking everyone for...years? Joey's bot can't really sort stubs, what it does is it looks through the list, and marks every page under 1kb (just as an example) as a stub. Bot != Articifical Intelligence :( Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 16:07, 4 June 2009 (UTC)

ResurrectionEdit

Resurrecting The Daily Edit? I am excited to hear. If you need any help at all, I am here. --Mattkenn3 Talk 13:09, 28 July 2009 (UTC)

OkayEdit

Hey, but how do you know about the other Suite Life wiki? The current boss, Andrewrox has gone until 21st of August so he cannot make me an admin. Could you maybe talk to him and ask him not to delete the stuff ive put down? I like the Avatar guy, I just dont want him deleting my posts. --PointsGuy 09:12, 4 August 2009 (UTC)

A few quick searches and some browsing got me enough information to go along with. :) I can talk to The avatar, if you want me to. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 09:24, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
Thanks 888! As I am sure you are aware we are merging with them. Since we have lots of messed up articles, categories, images, etc. I agreed to merge into tipton wiki. However, that is a month down the road. Thanks for all the help!--Avatar Talk 01:00, September 13, 2009 (UTC)

mass changes at central Edit

Would you please find me online, I need to talk to you. --Uberfuzzy@Wikia 22:56, 9 August 2009 (UTC)

Change to central hubs logosEdit

Hi There, I saw the changes you made to the central hubs logos, they look great! Thanks for the help. Cheers, --Sarah@Wikia (talk 18:38, December 8, 2009 (UTC)

Thanks! :) Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 22:09, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
Hi there. My apologies, I'm a month late to the party because I'm not active on Wikia Central.
I'd just like to thank you for so much for this particular edit as it means a lot to see that you chose our Logo.
Have a great day, A F K sig 2 A F K When Needed 17:19, January 10, 2010 (UTC)
 :D Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 04:55, January 28, 2010 (UTC)

Blue boxes Edit

Hey. I had already seen that blog, actually, but thanks for showing me anyway. While it explains why the blue boxes are disappearing, it doesn't explain what I should do instead. -- Supermorff 13:49, February 6, 2010 (UTC)

Oh, I see - what Wikia says we should be doing instead is searching for wikis via the search bar, because it searches across wikis, negating the need for blue box pages. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 01:48, February 7, 2010 (UTC)
Okay, but that searches by page, meaning that you're far more likely to come across large and active wikis than small, inactive ones, which is what I used the blue boxes to look for. How am I supposed to find the small, inactive wikias that are duplicates of larger wikis and have little to no chance of standing up independently? -- Supermorff 08:54, February 7, 2010 (UTC)
That is a good question. I'm guessing that perhaps part of the reason Wikia did this in the first place was to keep the large, active wikis large and active. This pleases the majority of users who wanted to find the big one anyway. To find the small ones will now be a very difficult task. Why did you want to find the small wikis? Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 09:48, February 7, 2010 (UTC)
Well, mostly to merge any info into the large ones and avoid duplication of effort. It's a shame when a knowledgeable user creates a wiki for a subject, not realising there's a big one (and this is now very easy to do, thanks to "Create a new wiki" button on top of every page). That wiki is doomed to be ignored, and their info is going to go to waste unless someone finds it and does something with it. Even worse, the lack of attention on their wiki will just demotivate them from adding more info elsewhere. I've seen it, I know it happens. -- Supermorff 09:54, February 7, 2010 (UTC)

I can see what you mean. I think this is interesting. I think the majority of well-meaning, knowledgeable users would try to see if there was an big wiki on the subject before trying to create their own. The minority who do create their own regardless usually want to do a better job than the existing wiki. The real minority, that you speak of, are the people who didn't think of searching before taking the plunge. The new changes make it very hard to find these people. You could perhaps suggest to Wikia staff to suggest to users using w:Special:CreateWiki that joining an exisiting wiki may be a better, more productive idea. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 10:03, February 7, 2010 (UTC)

Maybe, but that doesn't really help deal with the wikis that slip through the cracks. Another problem is when a user wants to set up a wiki, but there is already an existing wiki that's quite small. Using the search bar, they'd have little chance of finding it. What we really need is some way of searching wikis without searching the content of wikis... Hm. Anyway, how would you suggest I go about contacting the Wikia staff about this? -- Supermorff 20:19, February 7, 2010 (UTC)
Special:Contact is the way to go, as usual. Maybe suggesting on the appropriate staff blog is good as well. Public comments always build up interest. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 05:59, February 8, 2010 (UTC)
Okay, I've sent a message to Wikia staff and I've commented at User_blog:KyleH/The_future_of_Central_Wikia#comments. It would be nice if you could chip in with your own thoughts. -- Supermorff 12:06, February 9, 2010 (UTC)
Done. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 12:23, February 9, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks. -- Supermorff 17:09, February 9, 2010 (UTC)

Hello, Wjxhuang Edit

Hello, Wjxhuang. This user page and talk page was recently vandalized. PLEASE rollback the edit and block the IP if you can and if not, contact another admin. Many thanks, Tommy talk page 00:35, February 11, 2010 (UTC)

Hi there! I believe the page has been fixed by someone else. I apologise, but I'm not an admin here, so there's no real way I can help for these types of things. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 07:54, February 11, 2010 (UTC)

What's up?Edit

Haven't seen you in a while, huh? I was checking out some discussions and saw your name, so I thought I'd just say hi. If you don't know who I am, don't feel bad; it's been a long time since I've last been over at Avatar Wiki. What with the great job you guys have done, I figured there wasn't much more that needed doing.
Anyway, I thought it was cool to see you again, but I wouldn't be surprised if you don't remember me. Later, --Gaylesking 20px Talk. I will listen. 04:34, February 20, 2010 (UTC)

Hi Gaylesking! Of course I remember - I rarely forget users on wikis. Thank you for your comments about Avatar Wiki, and best wishes in any wiki endeavours you are currently seeking. :) Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 04:41, February 20, 2010 (UTC)

yes but how Edit

ok a pattern design image, but how do i put it into the background what options do i use to put it in the background

This involves css. If you have a suitable pattern image, you can go to the MediaWiki:Monaco.css on your wiki. There are three areas that make up the background, and in css they are #wikia_header, #background_strip and #body. Therefore,
#background_strip {
   background: #FFFFFF url(<image url here>)
}
#body { background-image: url(<image url here>)
}
#wikia_header {
   background: #FFFFFF url(<image url here>)
}
However, I wouldn't advise changing the first one (background_strip), because that's where the logo is. If you need any more help, once again, Help:Customizing Monaco offers much more information that you can peruse at your own leisure. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 03:57, February 25, 2010 (UTC)

Thanx...LunaBella 23:45, February 27, 2010 (UTC)

-(___)- It did not work. It just says the code now.

Help please!

[ [User: LunaBella| <span style="font-family: Lucida Handwriting; color: violet; ">LunaBella< / span>] ] 00:00, February 28, 2010 (UTC)

You haven't ticked the box under the signature field in your preferences, so "Custom signature" isn't enabled at the moment. Tick the box and it will fix. Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 08:55, February 28, 2010 (UTC)

I know now.

It's just when i tried to earlier, it said it was not a right code or something.

But thank you.

LunaBella 10:57, February 28, 2010 (UTC)

You're welcome. :) Wjxhuang, the 888th Avatar {Talk} 10:58, February 28, 2010 (UTC)

Bonjour! Edit

• Désolé mon vieux mais je ne parle que français, faudra faire avec, mais je peut collé ici des liens de traduction automatique en anglais et en français A+Wikisoft* @@@-fr 15:16, March 10, 2010 (UTC)
Okay. In that case isn't the French Central Wikia better for you? The 888th Avatar (talk) 22:24, March 10, 2010 (UTC)

Hello.(您好。) Edit

中文原版:

您好,我來自Wikia中文,以下的問題需要你的幫助。

請把澳門網絡大典合併到馬交網際百科

這一個wiki長期沒有人編輯與維護。

這個wiki的資料侵犯了版權。

English translation:

Hello, I'm from Wikia中文, the following questions need your help.

Please send 澳門網絡大典 to 馬交網際百科 merger

This is a wiki editing and maintenance of long-term no one.

This wiki information on copyright infringement

--用戶 16:29, March 16, 2010 (UTC)

對不起,只有staff能辦這種事情.Special:Contact是聯繫他們最快的辦法. (Sorry, only staff can do stuff like this. Special:Contact is the fastest method of contact.) The 888th Avatar (talk) 23:14, March 16, 2010 (UTC)

Hello Edit

When I message you, can you message on my talk page? I messaged you a while back about problems with a vandalized user page, it took me a while to find the message here. Sorry I didn't see it. Tommy talk page 22:23, March 16, 2010 (UTC)

• Thanks, I find this easier then having to look at the talk page again. I sometimes forget to look there and by then it's covered up with other messages. Thank you again! Tommy talk page 23:19, March 16, 2010 (UTC)

Help Edit

You seem quite knowledgable on wiki stuff, mind helping me with a few things? =)

EmperorZelos 19:08, March 22, 2010 (UTC)

Sure, what do you need help with? The 888th Avatar (talk) 08:06, March 23, 2010 (UTC)
Wiktionary have a way here where templates to create entries for various things selected can be done, do you know how to add it to a wiki? EmperorZelos 14:51, March 24, 2010 (UTC)

Something similar is certainly possible, but without access to the software, not in the same way that Wiktionary has done.

<createbox>
preload=name of template to use
</createbox>

This comes out as

Basically, you create a template with all the formatting you want, and then make a createbox so that articles can be started from there. I think the most complete example of the type of solution I'm talking about on Wikia is from The Vault, the Fallout Wiki - you can take a look at that as a guide.

On the other hand, I have my guesses that Wikia will eventually have this feature as an extension of this feature. The 888th Avatar (talk) 06:14, March 25, 2010 (UTC)

Hub:Big wikis Edit

Please try to avoid getting into an edit war over this, I can concur that it doesn't take two lines, for the record. Why not leave him a message? --CharitwoTalk 03:44, March 28, 2010 (UTC)

Twolines
It's not an edit war yet, and I wouldn't revert a third time in any case, but thanks anyway for the reminder and suggestion. I'm not sure about Bulldozer, but I seem to remember that you are using the full width rather than the shrinkwrap? That might explain why it's one line for you. Here's a screenshot of what happens when the full name is used. The 888th Avatar (talk) 03:58, March 28, 2010 (UTC)
Yes, I'm using full width. But I've also looked at it without and it appears if you make it into 3 columns, you can avoid abbreviations. --CharitwoTalk 04:24, March 28, 2010 (UTC)
It's a good idea, but I think I found a better one - use slashes and remove the ambiguity of having abbreviations. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 09:29, March 28, 2010 (UTC)

Assistance Edit

How does one direct what template is used for page creation through the search engine like on Fallout Wiki? I ahve attempted fixing it but failed The Emperor Zelos 19:30, April 8, 2010 (UTC)

Do you mean the text that appears on top of a new page - (w:c:fallout:MediaWiki:Newarticletext)? The 888th Avatar (talk) 23:04, April 8, 2010 (UTC)

bot queries Edit

hi, I see your name on the bot list http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Community_Central_talk:AutoWikiBrowser/CheckPage/Archive_2, http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Community_Central:AutoWikiBrowser/CheckPage

Can I ask you some stuff regarding bots? Cos I am thinking of getting one up, but I don't find much documentation on Wikia, and I don't quite understand those on Wikipedia (sorry, old dogs like me find it tough to absorb new tech, ;)) I would like to hear some thoughts from users first as well (pros and cons, what are the current bugs etc) before I go asking the staff, knowing how busy they are.

So here they are:

• why are there 2 lists, for human and for bot? must I be on both lists? do i have to create a new user account for the human? or can I use my existing User:Gin-san account? what user rights must they be given?
  • is it necessary to have a separate account for the bot? naming conventions, can I say use the name, MS-RX78-Ginsan? or must it have the word 'bot' in it at all costs?
  • I intend to use the bot to do the following tasks:
  • replace terminology, e.g. "Odd Jobs Gin" to Yorozuya, is that what bots can do?
  • add internal links to other articles, e.g. change all Yorozuya to [[Yorozuya]]
  • rename images, e.g. pandemonium.jpg to pandemonium_mug.jpg
  • assign license to the 600+ images, I will be damned if I am going to do that manually (ToT)
  • correct spelling errors in romaji or wrong conventions, e.g. Kotaro Katsura to Katsura Kotarou
  • apply templates to pages using superseded templates, i.e. replace templates on certain category of pages, e.g. replace template:Gintama:Character with template Gintama-char on about 200 pages
  • is it advisable to have bots on newly started wikis? I am doing a chinese version zh.yinhun.gintama.com, which is the chinese doppelganger for gintama.wikia.com, primarily to import xml from the english to the chinese site and attach the respective language links? and maybe replace stock english phrases with chinese characters, I think i can identify them using the japanese kanji, ... or maybe not (god knows how I can do that, but ... ah, well, let's see how it goes)
thanks a lot in advance ~~Gin-san (Talk) 09:49, April 15, 2010 (UTC)
Hi, Gin-san! This is going to be a long reply...
AWB isn't a true bot; the checkpage is for AWB, not bots in every sense of the word. There are many that use AWB, but few who can use fully automated scripts like Pywikipedia (I have it, but never use it). However, for most applications, you won't really need Pywikipedia (but it is much more flexible). AWB does have an automated setting anyway that is almost like a true bot.
Let's see - that list has humans and bots because most people who operate AWB will have two separate accounts. The human one almost certainly doesn't have a local bot flag while the bot one often does. As AWB can be used for variety of applications, the specific situation dictates the account used. You don't have to be on both lists, but you won't be able to use AWB at all if you are not on one. No additional rights are required to operate AWB; just a line on the checkpage.
Many prefer separate bot accounts, principally because it separates the user's bot actions from the actions they have done by hand. This is useful when one account has a bot flag. It also stops one account from having a huge inflated edit count. There's no rule against not having a bot account, but it seems to be the way most do it. There's absolutely no requirement for it to have a name containing "bot", but for courtesy you should indicate to others that it is actually a bot account.
AWB, which is quite easy to use, can do everything that you've asked about except for renaming images. You won't need to know any scripts. Most of what you're asking about is text replacement or appending text, which are basic AWB functions. You just enter what you want replaced in a few tables and forms, make a list of pages you wish to change, and start. For renaming images, which is an admin action, you will need Pywikipedia, and thus an understanding of the programming language Python.
There isn't anything against having bots on new wikis.
Documentation for AWB is extensive, but for what you are doing, you won't really need it if you are careful enough. Once you open AWB, it is fairly self-explanatory (or that is what I found). Just don't automate it until you're sure there's no mistakes. Pywikipedia has a few scripts and some info available, but to get the most out of it, you really need to know Python and probably regex as well.
Hope that all helps. The 888th Avatar (talk) 10:18, April 15, 2010 (UTC)
wow, thanks, sorry to bug you but some more doubts below ....
so the bot doesn't inherit all the user rights that I have? if I am admin, I set up a bot, that bot is only a regular user? no deletion rights, for e.g?
Are the bot functions restricted to 1 wiki? Can I say, set the bot to update Wikia community's Gintama page, Animanga's Gintama page & Gintama main page whenever new tankoubons are released?
Have you used them to make blog posts or announcements before? Can they be set up to grab say, facebook or tweets and re-produce them on the wikia blog? ~~Gin-san (Talk) 12:04, April 15, 2010 (UTC)

The bot has your user rights if it's operating on your account. If it's on a separate account, it's assigned rights separately. So if you set up a new account for a bot, it starts as a regular user.
Bot functions can be used on many wikis once you get one. For AWB, you just change the site address, and for Pywikipedia, you make a family folder.
For blog posts and announcements, you can do this with Pywikipedia (not AWB though), but I've never done this. The 888th Avatar (talk) 01:37, April 16, 2010 (UTC)

You know what? The light bulb just lit up in my head, I was searching for a function to 'create bot account' INSIDE my usual account ... *slap myself* Thanks a million, really appreciate! ~~Gin-san (Talk) 05:48, April 16, 2010 (UTC)
Great; no problem at all. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 13:09, April 16, 2010 (UTC)

The is about the copy and paste from word. I use the MS word to compose what I'm going to write. I do this local so I can add and delete and then summit it. I use firefox. I find chrome good but it little hard to add thing like add on. I take the output fro pagem MS word through note pad that filters out all the stuff you don't see. The take output from notepad into the web. If I use the web through wikia I have to keep having to log back in because of time out.

Galleries Edit

Do you know of anything that could be added to the CSS so galleries will auto center? I know that <gallery align="center"> will do that, but all the galleries on Memory Alpha were auto-centered unless otherwise aligned before the update, and we would like to have it like that again. - Archduk3 07:03, April 26, 2010 (UTC)

I've tried to fix this, but so far I've unfortunately been unable to produce one. :( Maybe you could try Special:Contact; staff will probably know more about the galleries than me. The 888th Avatar (talk) 07:42, April 26, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for at least trying. :) - Archduk3 20:31, April 27, 2010 (UTC)

I talked to another user later and it turns out that setting the width of the galleries to a definite figure (rather than my "auto" which wasn't effective) and using the rest of my personal CSS does the job. However, that is a pretty bad hack that doesn't really work for some resolutions, so I advocate lobbying Wikia for a parameter in the gallery tag for aligning to centre. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 23:57, April 27, 2010 (UTC)

Morder came up with this, which reproduces what MA was using before, and I thought I would share:

.wikia-gallery {
text-align:center;
border: solid 1px #AAA;
}

.wikia-gallery .thumb {
border:solid 1px #AAA;
}

It seems to work, and I would swear that I had seen this tried before with no luck, so either Wikia changed something or the magic code was found. Thanks again for your help with this, and spread the word if anyone else asks. :) - Archduk3 22:46, May 5, 2010 (UTC)

ThanksEdit

You seem to generally know a lot about Wikia and answer many forum questions. So two months is a very short time? It seems strange, though, that the wiki would rank at all if it will ever rank well. Because I edit wikipedia, and one thing I've realized is that it takes 1-2 days for a page to rank, BUT, Once it does, it's as high as it will ever be. Pages on The Finger Lakes Wiki will show up, but it takes a very specific query or they will be very low. I've just been editing the page a lot in the last couple days, but it's getting to be summer and I will not be doing this on a nice day! Daniel Christensen 01:17, May 1, 2010 (UTC)

One thing I'd point out is that the main page NEVER shows up in a result. It will always be some page. Also, for some pages, they will show up as a result of a query that's NOT their title, but when you search "their title" and "the finger lakes wiki" they DON'T show up... Hopefully that's understandable. Daniel Christensen 01:21, May 1, 2010 (UTC)
Wikipedia's entries get a "free kick", if you will, because of the encyclopedia's size, the number of links to it, and their relevance. Smaller wikis though have to the job the hard way. I highly recommend following the steps in c:help:Advice:Advice:Raising your wiki's Google ranking in this regard. With the main page, it does show up...once the wiki becomes popular enough. About title searches not yielding results from the wiki, that implies there are higher ranked sites with the same title criteria, but the same sites don't have as many pages as your wiki, so searches for smaller titles for which you have a page will have better results. The 888th Avatar (talk) 09:28, May 1, 2010 (UTC)

NO SUKI!?! Edit

I'm assuming you saw the last airbender premiere. The pronunciation sucked, but overall like m. night shamalama's version of avatar. But any idea where Suki was?

BackgroundEdit

It is showing for both monaco and oasis. SimAnt 22:04, October 19, 2010 (UTC)

HeyUEdit

Relax, will you? You do realize I'm using sarcasm, right? I've already given up on Wikia. I'm fully aware there's no hope whatsoever but I think you are thoroughly wrong about telling users to adjust countless pages because of the new skin. It's just unnecessary.
Ryu_victory-mini.gif --Havoc'48 21:06, October 20, 2010 (UTC)

I'm not "thoroughly wrong", I'm just trying to help out by stating the facts and helping them adjust, for the sake of users who still want to stay here. If you are leaving, then I would advise you to stop commenting on blog posts. You're not being particularly helpful, and you're not making yourself look very good. If you were being sarcastic, then it wasn't readily apparent - this is the Internet, remember. I wish you luck in your future wiki endeavours. The 888th Avatar (talk) 22:59, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
It's really not necessary to change every single page with a chart and make infoboxes smaller. They're giving us more trouble than benefit. As for the leaving part, no I am not, I will be editing a certain wiki once a month to ensure no adoption and patrolling it. I still care for the Wikias I have worked with, I'm just angry at Wikia itself for pushing us. Or, rather, everyone but you, judging by your comments. --Havoc'48 02:25, October 21, 2010 (UTC)

Why is your name the 888th avatar? Edit

Why?Are you a avatar the last airbender fan?If so what a shame how dare you call yourself a avatar.Aang is for the world and actaully cares about people.You on the other hand or exact opposite you care about no one and is selfish.Thats my message to you dont expect anymore from me dont even say Im harrasing you cause what I said was the truth..Bye Firelord Ozai.{{SUBST:User:Lssj4/sig2}} 19:42, October 23, 2010 (UTC)

I am a bureaucrat and admin on Avatar Wiki. I'm allowed to have whatever user name I like. I am also allowed to say whatever I like, within reasonable limits. I'm not sure how you jumped from "voicing an opinion" to "caring about no-one". If you have nothing nice to say, just don't say it. The 888th Avatar (talk) 01:57, October 24, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks Edit

I just wanted to commend you for taking the time to actually write out detailed and thought-out replies to some of the less level-headed contributors on the blogs. It's refreshing to see someone be perfectly reasonable and continue to do so even after having the same inane points thrust back at them. So yeah, thanks for that. NayayenTALK 12:04, October 27, 2010 (UTC)

Thanks! :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 01:41, October 28, 2010 (UTC)

Main Page (help required :) Edit

Trust all is going well for you, it's been a while. Scoobypedia is moving along now thanks to a few regulars and the new show currently airing on Cartoon Network.

Scoobypedia's Main Page seems a liitle awry with overlapping boxes, and the colour is now bland since the wiki update. If you can find some time to rectfy and spruce it up in to the colorful wiki that it once was, that would be great. If not can you phone a friend (Joey), on my behalf. Thanks in advance.

Gripe (new layout)Edit

• I'm not enjoying the new "style", some of the differences are just changes and not necessary improvement - the navigation bar/tabs. It's not that it's not the same or simply different, I am getting used to the navigation now. It's like moving a blind persons furnitture. IMO
  • It has been a nightmare to go to history with the usual ease due to the drop down box not holding properly. Today they are working though - weired!
  • I can not find the option to edit the menu on main page - what was the old side bar navigation option, to change it at will.
  • I also find that the drop-down boxs are not working when overlaping, actually the DDBs underlap and I have had to edit out delete templates in order to navigate to the delete option from the ddb.

/gripe . I could go on, but am busy. Perhaps the whinge should have been placed elsewhere - feel free to tell me, and I'll act accordingly :) Piandao and Scooby! 19:55, November 19, 2010 (UTC)

Sure, I should be able to fix up the wiki, maybe tomorrow. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 11:02, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks. I managed to shange the colors if you come up with a bttr scooby theme and tiled background, then thats a bonus, idk how to sort out the overlap - that's a priority. Piandao and Scooby! 17:54, November 20, 2010 (UTC)
I took a look at your main page - is it okay if I do a redesign of it (tomorrow)? A "reboot" might be the best way to solve its problems... The 888th Avatar (talk) 11:07, November 28, 2010 (UTC)
Boot it as hard as you can, till it does as it's told anyway - thanks Piandao and Scooby! 22:30, November 29, 2010 (UTC)

Creating a bot Edit

Hi 888, I'd like to create a bot for Xenopedia, the Aliens vs. Predator wiki and I was hoping you could walk me through it or point me in the right direction! Any advice or suggestions you have for the Main Page, layout, etc. is also appreciated! Thanks! :)----CadmiumX99 20:52, December 27, 2010 (UTC)

Hi - I am able and happy to help you through AutoWikiBrowser, but if you're more interested in something that is more powerful and is fully automatic, I recommend pywikipedia, which is something I don't operate. You can consult users such as Joeyaa and Charitwo for that. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 06:53, December 28, 2010 (UTC)
Hey 888, downloaded AWB, set up an account as "Bishopbot". What's the next step? PS I left a request on the checkpage (archives actually, oops!) but at any rate, apparently they must be done on your own wiki now http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Community_Central_talk:AutoWikiBrowser/CheckPage. I'm not sure what I need to do next. Do I need to login/ register/ leave a request somewhere to start using it on my wiki? I just want to rename some categories for the most part. Thanks again!CadmiumX99 15:37, January 4, 2011 (UTC)----15:37, January 4, 2011 (UTC)
If your wiki doesn't have a checkpage, you can start using AWB on your wiki straight away. The next step would be to start the program, go to the "File" menu, and click "Log In/Profiles". Then you can log in using your Bishopbot account and you can start semi-automatic or fully automatic editing. The program should be fairly self-explanatory when being used. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 05:50, January 6, 2011 (UTC)
It says the username provided doesn't exist. What am I missing?----CadmiumX99 19:54, January 18, 2011 (UTC)

You might have set it to the wrong wiki (the default for AWB is Wikipedia). You'll need to change the wiki AWB is accessing to your wiki (subdomain and all) before logging in. The 888th Avatar (talk) 07:20, January 21, 2011 (UTC)

How do I do that? Again thanks for your patience. :)---CadmiumX99 14:35, January 21, 2011 (UTC)
It's no problem. :) At the top left of the window, go to the "Options" menu, and click on "Preferences". Once that window shows, there should be a tab labelled "Site". In the dropdown for "Project:", choose "wikia", and then enter the subdomain in the field below that. Then, press OK to save those preferences. The 888th Avatar (talk) 23:01, January 21, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks so much 888! I took it for a successful test drive! If you find some time, please take a look at Xenopedia, the Aliens vs. Predator wiki. I'd love to get your feedback! Will drop you a line if I get stuck. Thanks again :D---CadmiumX99 04:51, January 23, 2011 (UTC)
No problem at all, I'll be sure to check it out. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 04:59, January 23, 2011 (UTC)

Icons Edit

Hello 888th Avatar,
I am Zantam03 from Gongjin's Campaign Memorials, and, if I'm correct, you are an admin at Avatar Wiki. If it's ok I'd like to ask you for some help about the Icons you use at the top of articles. I'm using them too at my Wiki, and to be honest I basically copied the whole thing from your site. However I noticed that, unlike at my Wiki, the Icons do not affect your Read More Galleries and Category Galleries. How did you manage to fix that?
For examples of the problem:

I hope you have some suggestions. -Zantam03 (Talk) 13:13, January 1, 2011 (UTC)

To be honest, we never fixed anything. If you really did copy everything (that's no problem by the way :)), then there's no difference between your icons and ours except for the images used. I might take a look at your icon template to be sure, though. The 888th Avatar (talk) 00:30, January 2, 2011 (UTC)
Well that's odd.. Yes I copied everything, I obviously changed the pictures and the SubIcon page I organized a little, but I doubt that's where the problem lies. Anyway, if you'd wanna have a look, would be appreciated. The templates are here:

---Zantam03 (Talk) 12:04, January 2, 2011 (UTC)

Sorry to bother you :-P But... I just noticed that not ALL Icons appear in the Read More and Category galleries. The Yellow Turban Icon, Han Icon, Yuan Shao's Warlord State Icon, Fictional Characters for example, do not appear in the gallery. But I've noticed that the Featured Article Icon, Dong Zhuo's Warlord State Icon, A-Class Article Icon (and probably more) do appear. I can't find anything in the abovementioned links that could cause this. It would be greatly appreciated if you could have a look. ---Zantam03 (Talk) 13:13, January 3, 2011 (UTC)
I've looked at your template; it is pretty much identical to ours. Since I don't actually know how Wikia's extensions picks pictures, I can't give definite answers as to why it would pick some images over others. However, my observation is that the articles on Avatar Wiki almost always have thumbnail images aside from the infobox image and the icons. Those thumbnails are the images that appear in the galleries. The articles on your wiki have very few images aside from the infobox and the icons - I think that if you added more images that the extension would pick those rather than the icons. I think we can agree though that the method of picking images at the moment is pretty lousy... The 888th Avatar (talk) 11:05, January 4, 2011 (UTC)

Hello Edit

Hello The 888th Avatar. On Avatar Wiki, about a year ago, Joeyaa banned me forever for no reason. I didn't even make 1 edit. Can you please unban me? Thanks, Weirdo Guy (talk) 10:08, January 12, 2011 (UTC)

Apparently, the block was for sockpuppetry. Since it would be rude of me to simply undo his block, my advice is to ask him if you want to be unblocked. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 06:18, January 13, 2011 (UTC)

I asked Joeyaa several days ago if he could unblock me and he hasn't made a reply nor taken action. Weirdo Guy (talk) 15:58, January 16, 2011 (UTC)

AdvancedOasisUI Edit

What's wrong with the RC button? :) -- Porter21 (talk) 08:19, January 23, 2011 (UTC)

It seems to be stacked on top of the random page button for me... or was that deliberate? The 888th Avatar (talk) 08:22, January 23, 2011 (UTC)
No, that's certainly not deliberate. All it should do is alter the text and link target of the existing "WikiActivity" button (it doesn't create a new button), i.e. like this. If you could tell me what browser you are using and whether you have the interface language set to anything other than English, that'd help me with debugging :) -- Porter21 (talk) 09:26, January 23, 2011 (UTC)
Aha - I discovered the problem; it's on my end. :) The default font is Arial, but my global.css is set to use "sans-serif" as defined in my browser preferences, and I'm using a font that makes text very slightly wider. It seems that Wikia only allotted a fixed amount of space for the two buttons to reside in, so they stack on top of each other if the two buttons together become too wide. Your script is fine - I'm going to have to change something on my end... The 888th Avatar (talk) 09:43, January 23, 2011 (UTC)
Addition at the bottom did it. The 888th Avatar (talk) 09:52, January 23, 2011 (UTC)
Ah, ok. Glad to hear you got it working :) I ran into the issue with the ".buttons" div having a fixed width of 220px as well when I was adding the translated versions (had to use abbreviated versions of the text in the end). If you have suggestions for other improvements which could be added to the script, please let me know. -- Porter21 (talk) 10:16, January 23, 2011 (UTC)

Sure. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 10:58, January 23, 2011 (UTC)

Autowikibrowser Question Edit

Hello, I know you are experienced with AutoWikiBrowser and I had a question. How do I change the edit summary that it leaves. I have gone into summaries and deleted them all, adding the one I want but that has no effect. It still leaves clean up as the summary.--GodPray  01:20,3/27/2011 

In the "start" tab, are you leaving an alternative edit summary to "clean up"? AutoWikiBrowser doesn't let the user not leave an edit summary, so if nothing is changed, it leaves "clean up". The 888th Avatar (talk) 01:44, March 27, 2011 (UTC)
Ah, I was not aware that I could not leave a blank summary. Thank you.--GodPray  01:47,3/27/2011 

Revert? Edit

Why did you revert this edit? ajr 01:21, May 19, 2011 (UTC)

Probably because you are not supposed to edit another users user page.--GodPray  01:30,5/19/2011 
If you look at the contribs of both users, I'm pretty sure that they are the same person. But whatever. ajr 02:04, May 19, 2011 (UTC)

Re: RC Edit

Thanks for the advice.  Iam...JakuhoRaikoben  17:49,5/26/2011 

Css question Edit

a.wikia-button, .wikia-single-button a, .wikia-menu-button, input[type="submit"], input[type="reset"], input[type="button"], .button, button {font-family:"Segoe UI", sans-serif !important;}

I noticed the above code in your CSS,What does that do ?--Roranoa zoro [Talk] 12:35,6/8/2011

Oh, that changes the font used for all the buttons used on Wikia e.g. "Start a wiki" and "Edit this page". I've set it so that it goes to Segoe UI (the Windows font) by default, and to the sans-serif font set in the browser if the computer I'm accessing from doesn't have Segoe UI. The 888th Avatar (talk) 12:40, June 8, 2011 (UTC)
That sounds cool,Gonna check it out..thanks:)Roranoa zoro [Talk] 12:43,6/8/2011

I've been banned on Avatar Wiki for sockpuppetry.

My account was hacked, so I had to create a new one. I wanted to delete the hacked one but I didn't know how. So then I was banned. Will you please unban me? It All Ends Here 40px On July 15th 04:57, June 10, 2011 (UTC)

Global.css Edit

Does my customizations on global.css appear on every wiki?

--.Nobody Cares .TalkContribs. 09:29, June 12, 2011 (UTC)

Yes for every Wikia wiki, as long as you're logged in. ;) The 888th Avatar (talk) 09:35, June 12, 2011 (UTC)

Please see... Edit

Request for adminship

Icons Edit

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me out with the Icon template that you guys have on the Avatar Wiki. I have created the template for the Fairy Tail Wiki and would like to use it, but for some reason, the first Icon sits above the rest of the icons. I think it may be because I have the size of our icons larger than you guys have yours. Is there a way to fix this problem without decreasing my icon size?  Iam...JakuhoRaikoben  22:19,7/7/2011 

Hi — that's probably because there are so many icons that there is no more room for the icons to appear on one line. ;) If you use only a few of the icons at once on articles, there shouldn't be this problem. The 888th Avatar (talk) 01:17, July 9, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks!!  Iam...JakuhoRaikoben  04:38,7/9/2011 

HelpEdit

[1] ...hey can you help us set up a forum index somewhat similar to the avatar wiki?..thanks:)--Roranoa zoro Talk|||09:09,8/7/2011

(Sorry about this late reply) Sure. :) Roughly how do you want it to be organised? The 888th Avatar (talk) 11:41, August 10, 2011 (UTC)

PermissionEdit

Hello, I was wondering if it's okay with you that I can use your sig? User:White Flash/Sig 04:20, August 10, 2011 (UTC)

I've no problem with that at all. :) The 888th Avatar (talk) 11:41, August 10, 2011 (UTC)
About the message a section above,I want a forum index something very similar to this one [2]..no sub divisions and all that stuff,just "adding a new topic "and publishing it must make it appear on the index:)...thank you:)--Roranoa zoro Talk|||11:17,8/11/2011

Civil engineering design Edit

Interchange
My idea, ignore the shadow in the lower right corner.
Hello, 888. As promised, to the right you will find my idea. Annawantimes (Talk) 06:59, November 12, 2011 (UTC)

PS: I thought I'd add a quick legend to the map.

Vertical Roads: Line on the Right = Northbound, Line on the Left = Southbound

Horizontal Roads: Line on the top = Westbound, Line on the bottom = Eastbound

Hope that helps to clarify a little :) Annawantimes (Talk) 07:04, November 12, 2011 (UTC)

I'm destined to create a new design for an interchange; one with no loops, and accessiblity to all highways. Perhaps we may discuss in a few hours on chat. It's currently dinnertime here, and judging from a world clock it's around 11:00 AM in Australia. I'll probably see you when it's 1:00 AM here and dinnertime there. Have a good remainder of your weekend! Annawantimes (Talk) 23:54, November 12, 2011 (UTC)
I'm afraid I probably won't make it to the chat today – I've got an exam tomorrow, and three for the week. :/ Hope to see you there later in the week. The 888th Avatar (talk) 00:02, November 13, 2011 (UTC)
Oh yeah, I recalled that you said you had exams. Later in the week sound good, it's no problem, life becomes very busy at times. If I happen to finish the design tonight, I'll drop it off here on your talk page. Really dreading exams. :o Annawantimes (Talk) 00:19, November 13, 2011 (UTC)

Next Civil engineering design Edit

Doubleinterchange
Please click to enlarge; pretty hard to read otherwise.
Here is my next map. It wasn't what I had expected it would be, and it is not very efficient to say the least, lol. Though the details I mentioned above will not be included to the degree I had hoped. Alternatively, the signature feature of the map will not be its few amount of loops (as it has several loops). I have connected a third highway into the equation — note that it is a two lane highway and not a superhighway. The initial junction between the two superhighways is generally a tweaked version of my first map. I added in several extra on and off ramps (many of them loop ramps) in order to connect the third two-lane highway into the superhighway equation.

Who would have foreseen that just a simple mention of Civil engineering would bring upon what was for me an interesting discussion and opportunity to draw maps. I hope you have enjoyed it as well. We may go into a more in depth discussion, if you like, when we meet on the chat next. Until then, please issue any flaws in the map or questions you might have. Have fun studying this one! Annawantimes (Talk) 03:10, November 13, 2011 (UTC)

P.S.: I took a look at the enlarged version of the map, and it still is difficult to read. There are a few areas where you might have questions, so don't be afraid to ask! Also, I realize you must be pretty time poor at the moment with exams this week. Just have a look whenever you can. :) Annawantimes (Talk) 03:12, November 13, 2011 (UTC)

Hi, 888. I understand if you have an upcoming exam, but if not, would it be possible for you to join the Chat? Again, if your schedule permits, of course. Thanks, Annawantimes (Talk) 04:52, November 17, 2011 (UTC)

I'm done with exams now. See you soon. The 888th Avatar (talk) 07:01, November 18, 2011 (UTC)

Halo Nation Mainpage Edit

Hi, Wjxhuang. I viewed the main page of Halo Nation, and I was impressed with the slider to say the least. It looks much different from typical sliders, and I'd like to use on the main page of Arthur wiki, if you wouldn't man. Is it possible that you could supply me with the coding or essential means by which you created that slider? I saw on your userpage that you designed the main page for that wiki. This would be greatly appreciated, best regards, Annawantimes (Talk) 03:08, December 4, 2011 (UTC)

Wait, I thought you'd designed the Halo Nation mainpage, but from a glance at your userpage, I guess you designed the Wikianswers Xbox mainpage as well as Avatar Wiki's. Hehehe :) Sorry for the confusion. Annawantimes (Talk) 15:22, December 4, 2011 (UTC)

Advertisement | Your ad here

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki