Wikia

Community Central

Talk:Animangafooter

93,967pages on
this wiki

Back to template

Revision as of 20:36, July 23, 2012 by BlaineColdiron (wall | contribs)

Would it be appropriate to add Wikianswers Anime in this footer? Since it's an anime-releated wiki... ~ Akadirgun (Local TalkMain Talk) 02:19, September 23, 2009 (UTC)

Don't think it's a problem, though I don't even know how many wikis use this footer.--Sxerks 20:32, September 28, 2009 (UTC)

footer redo

Considering how many anime/manga wikis there are now this footer is quite bulky as it is and it will only get worse as more are added, even the original footer looked pretty bad. Some other footers work well since there are a limited number of wikis that even belong to a specific topic.

The question is what is the intended purpose of the footer?

• 1 click jump to a wiki of interest? - it will be too large, and that's what bookmarks are for.
  • To cross promote specific wikis? - again, too large.
  • Promote the Animanga Hub, which then promotes wikis through spotlights on the main page? - probably
  • To help people find other anime/manga wiki? - yes

Here is a potential version:

70px-Wiki.png Anime / Manga Hub
April Spotlights:
54px-Wiki.pngToaru Majutsu no Index 54px-Wiki.pngOne Piece 54px-Wiki.pngPretty Cure
Anime Answers
Update Wikis
IRC    edit

All  •  Action  •  Adventure  •  Comedy  •  Drama  •  Fantasy  •  Horror  •  Mecha  •  Mystery  •  Romance  •  Sci-fi  •  Slice of Life  •  Sports  •  Supernatural  •  Memes  •  Funimation

Help with this footer  •  Discussion  •  Old list

It's not perfectly formatted but you get the idea. Last I checked templates from central seem to update within a day so the monthly spotlights might not be a problem. --Sxerks 16:16, April 13, 2010 (UTC)

1. nah, I was thinking of selective wikis too at some point, but decided against it. When the respective admins added their wiki to it, they expect to see THEIR wiki there, so if it is selective, no admin will be motivated to update this shared footer
  2. I find listing all the wikis a better and more direct way to get traffic to the smaller ones, rather than have them transit at the animanga 'interchange', I noticed more people coming to update this footer and using them on wikis I don't even know exist (e.g. Hajime no Ippo) immediately after I put in 'Add your wiki to this footer'
  3. I am not fond of spotlights, if they are already good enough to be spotlit, they don't really need the added exposure, it is those that suffer from low traffic that I really want to reach out to
  4. I am not a fan of Wikia Central's shared template design, TBH, LOL. But I like to maintain consistency so that users know at a glance that this is a footer, just like for gaming, TV shows etc
  5. I already know the problem when I started on letter A :), I will leave it to you to promote this guy then, I will just add the rest of your list into the existing one and not promote it to other wikis anymore :) ~~Gin-san (Talk) 17:13, April 13, 2010 (UTC)
updated it a little. The main bulkiness with the original was the height, with the slider you added, partially fixed that but the overall footer is still too high.
The only way to know the size of a wiki is to go to it or look at the List on the interchange, there is no indication of size in the footer.
Spotlights are important and will get more people involved in the hub and updating their wiki to get a spotlight. Spotlights aren't just for big wikis, they are for ones that need help too, all they need is some people working on them and an admin.
Linking to the entertainment hub and cartoon page is pointless. The entertainment logo is ugly, outdated, and not relevant to the Animanga hub. Also the "answers" link is pointing to the wrong location.
There should only be one footer, this isn't some kind of competition. Though it many need to be altered to fit a vertical alignment and replace the Template:ACGBox.
--Sxerks 22:09, April 14, 2010 (UTC)

Border color and width

I cant edit the template, so I just want someone who can do do a small fix for me. Please add two optional parameters to set a particular border width, and border color. Some thing like <code>{{Animangafooter|bcolor=#000|bwidth=1px}}</code>. If those variables are not provided, the template can default to the present colors. {{SUBST:User:Sithjedi/signature}} 05:46, October 7, 2011 (UTC)

Done, in theory. I'm not sure if parameters can be passed across wikis, however. ~ Michael von Preußen (voicemail)
parameters do not work interwiki.--Sxerks 13:48, October 7, 2011 (UTC)

Title order in the seasonal lists

I noticed that last version of the Spring 2011 was alphabetized, but the ones for summer, fall, and winter were not and the current spring list is not. Are there are any reasons why the order seems to have gone away from alphabetical to seemingly random? BrokenSphere (Talk) 19:25, May 5, 2012 (UTC)

The "all" subsection

So the Template:Animangafooter/all section now has over 300 entries. It's a bit much, and I'm thinking of splitting them into genres. The "all" will get replaced with links to the genres and a message to alter the footer to be more appropriate for each wiki. Each "genre" will get it's own sub page and a link to the "all" list. It would probably be best to only use 1 genre per wiki.

So, which genres? Action, Comedy, Drama, Mecha, Romance, Sports, Fan-Fiction, Science Fiction, Harem??????

--Sxerks 23:56, July 7, 2012 (UTC)
I'd recommend categorizing each into the primary genre which MyAnimeList has it listed under. That should give a manageable number of discreet, non-redundant entries. ~ Michael von Preußen (voicemail)
MyAnimeList gives more than one genre though
M+W Talk 02:12, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
Some of those Anime have more than one genre. Perhaps Micheal's idea would be more suitable. -White Flash-(Talk)- 02:47, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
As I said, the primary genre listed. Although an alternative would be to multi-list them. Just throwin' ideas out, though. ~ Michael von Preußen (voicemail)
Where is this primary list on MAL, I don't see it. anidb.net has categories though.--Sxerks 03:26, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
First of all, I am for splitting the list into genres. But eventually the problem is that practically every animanga series isn't limited to one genre. For example, Bleach is more than supernatural. It has a fair part comedy and action in it that can't be ignored. MyAnimeList gives us specific genres on series, but like Sxerks said, there isn't/I can't see a primary genre on that site. What we could do, is decide on the primary genre ourselves, but naturally that's difficult, since an agreement isn't easily made. BereisgreatShout!Wikia Star35px-Kuroko_chibi.png 13:07, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
Ah, never mind; I was mistakenly under the impression that the order of the genre list was indicative of some sort of priority, but apparently it's simply alphabetized. That said, we could still always list anime multiple times. Since each genre will only appear on this template once, anime that fit more than one of them could be listed under each genre they may be identified with. Using MAL's genres (or any other site's, for that matter) will still provide a distinct advantage: MAL, for example, classifies all anime into one or more of 43 genres, and manga into one or more of 45. This means that there won't be too much overlap between genres, and we'll avoid disputes on, as a random example I made up for demonstrative purposes only, "is mecha a distinct genre of sci-fi?", or "Are harem and romance really separate genres?". ~ Michael von Preußen (voicemail)

Well, if you put in genres like how Sxerks suggested, (Action, Comedy, Drama, Mecha, Romance, Sports, Fan-Fiction, Science Fiction, Harem) it will be convenient for people who are looking for specific animes/mangas based on genre. This is practical but it would be a headache to sort out everything. I mean, there are animes/mangas that fall into a lot of categories, (as Bereisgreat said) and if bulk is the issue it's not gonna solve anything (because a lot of animangas will appear in more than one genre, thus, multiplying in a sort of way. And again, if you want to solve the bulk the best way is to split them apart into separate footers or whatever (but how do we sort it?). If you want my opinion, I think it's easiest to sort them alphabetically. Divinecross 15:32, July 9, 2012 (UTC)

I think we can start off by sorting into "main category genres" even though some(if not all) series have multiple genres, just go for the main defining one. So, then which MAIN categories should we use, it should be less then ~10.--Sxerks 15:19, July 13, 2012 (UTC)

One of the list floating around "/a" has these 12 main categories: Action, Slice of Life, Romance, Comedy, Mystery, Drama, Mecha, Space Opera, Sport, Psychological, Fantasy, Sci-fi. And then some others: Adventure, Harem, mahou shoujo.

--Sxerks 00:47, July 15, 2012 (UTC)

A lot of animangas don't have a main, defining genre :/ I'm still not up to this. But, if everyone agrees, I think you should add some more general ones and other categories that are more useful. divinecross 05:15, July 16, 2012 (UTC)

Yes, I know they don't, I'm trying to find the most reasonable main genres to use at first. These genres are just for making the footer not so bloated, to find the actual genre breakdown you would have to use the drilldown list on the Hub, and that link will probably be in each footer as well.
All of the ~300 wikis listed don't have to be moved at once just the obvious ones. When looking up a anime like "Bleach" wikipedia has it listed as Action, and Bangsian fantasy, whereas MAL has Action, Comedy, Shounen, Super Power, Supernatural. "Bangsian fantasy" isn't a good category, shounen is too generic and super power and supernatural are similar. Bleach is primarily Action, and that action is Supernatural, there are also comedy and drama "elements". So it would be put in Action, and later, if we do multiples Supernatural as well.
Minami-ke is listed as Comedy and Slice of Life, it fits both well, but it is primarily comedy. SoL isn't an easy genre to use.
Anyway we need to pick good categories, here is the start, which others should we use?
--Sxerks (talk) 16:29, July 16, 2012 (UTC)

OK, adding from the comments below:

--Sxerks (talk) 17:12, July 17, 2012 (UTC)
I would put in Fantasy and Horror in too. BereisgreatShout!Wikia Star35px-Kuroko_chibi.png 16:32, July 16, 2012 (UTC)
I think this is a great idea. What about mystery-type (ex: Case Closed) and dramas? These websites have a list of popular genres and I think it can help us to an extent. Ryoga Godai (talk) 12:28, July 17, 2012 (UTC)
OK, added some more, now at 12. Those lists were pretty good, about 16 each, but how they have certain anime listed is odd. Like Sailor Moon is under Fantasy but not shojo, Love Hina as a comedy, FMA as a drama, all the SoL they list are actually comedy. It's still a little difficult to figure out which to use. I don't think Parody or Erotic will be used at this time, and shonen/shojo probably fit under action/fantasy better, magic is a little too generic, and psychological and thriller I'm not sure about.
So, I think we can start, at everyone's leisure, just copy and remove line-items from Template:Animangafooter/temp to one of the 12 sub pages above. --Sxerks (talk) 17:12, July 17, 2012 (UTC)
Good. So, which category would InuYasha fall into? Adventure, Action or Fantasy? Ryoga Godai (talk) 05:59, July 18, 2012 (UTC)
I've only seen 1 episode so I really couldn't say. I have a feeling that "action" is going to be the largest group, so if it's not constant battles like DBZ stay away from that genre. I would probably go with fantasy for now, once they have all been moved, it will be easier to see whether we need more genres.--Sxerks (talk) 15:25, July 18, 2012 (UTC)

Can we add the "Sports" genre to the list. Series like Slam Dunk, Eyeshield 21, Giant Killing aren't really action, adventure or any of the above. It's just sports. BereisgreatShout!Wikia Star35px-Kuroko_chibi.png 17:45, July 18, 2012 (UTC)

It is there, the 4th one.--Sxerks (talk) 18:14, July 18, 2012 (UTC)

May I please suggest Historical? Hakuoki, Versailles no Bara, Le Chevalier, Rurouni Kenshin, and a lot more animangas are historical. Divinecross 18:38, July 19, 2012 (UTC)

Probably wait until most of the obvious ones have been moved, to see what odd ones are left before making new categories.--Sxerks (talk) 18:29, July 23, 2012 (UTC)

Submission

Any chance of adding 'RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne Wiki' to the footer?BlaineColdiron (talk) 20:36, July 23, 2012 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki