FANDOM

• Aiihuan
    Aiihuan closed this thread because:
    Necroposting.
    02:44, January 1, 2018

Now normally I wouldn’t consider this worth making a post about, updates and crashes happen all the time, but usually it affects everyone, not just one user.

The user in question isn’t me, but despite the wikia working fine for everyone else I ask, hers won’t load properly except after 4 to 5 refreshes, a problem that persisted after she deleted all her cookies and reinstalled chrome.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

IMG 10052016 213251
    IMG 11052016 180040

Loading editor
    • She may also want to hammer F5 until it works (fn+F5 on laptops). If this doesn't work, ask her to append "?action=purge" to the page.

Loading editor
    • Darytyg123123
      Darytyg123123 removed this reply because:
      Not needed.
      10:22, May 11, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • So It's temporary? She'll eventually be able to load pages properly?

Loading editor
    • Yes, it's temporary. Your friend should be able to load things later.

Loading editor
    • The reason for this is that the standard Wikia page is quite heavy duty in terms of imports and site assets. With Wikia pages, Chrome will attempt to refuse reloading the whole thing from the source rather than pulling up a cached version that is missing CSS imports, JS hooks or large amounts of the actual article. This persists until the page is purged or refreshed using the F5 button more than once. -_-

Loading editor
    • ...Not the answer she was probably hoping for but eh.

Thanks for the help

Loading editor
    • Sticking "?action=purge" onto the end of the URL is probably a better first port of call, F5 takes too long.

Loading editor
    • I've been having this problem on and off since early August. I'm having it right now, on all browsers I have tried. Clearing the cahce and purging the pages seems to help, but it still won't load all images or CSS/JS. I have tried it on Chrome (my primary browser), Firefox, and Microsoft Edge; I get the same thing. I've cleaned up the registry, scanned for viruses, done the Chrome Scanner, etc. I have made sure everything is up to date. I've even done checks on my internet (going as far as to restart the modem). Even after all of this, the problem still persists.

Any suggestions? My guess is that it isn't cache-related, but rather the Wikia website itself (perhaps even hidden deep in the code).

Loading editor
    • Orangebird763 wrote:
      I've been having this problem on and off since early August. I'm having it right now, on all browsers I have tried. Clearing the cahce and purging the pages seems to help, but it still won't load all images or CSS/JS. I have tried it on Chrome (my primary browser), Firefox, and Microsoft Edge; I get the same thing. I've cleaned up the registry, scanned for viruses, done the Chrome Scanner, etc. I have made sure everything is up to date. I've even done checks on my internet (going as far as to restart the modem). Even after all of this, the problem still persists.

Any suggestions? My guess is that it isn't cache-related, but rather the Wikia website itself (perhaps even hidden deep in the code).

This right here is the same issue I have suffered for along while. Wikia pages crashing and closing, taking forever to load and locking up as they load the ads on the site. I understand advertisements are needed to keep the site up, but when they are causing the site to crash because they are trying to load video ads both at the top and bottom of the site as well as two or three banner ads, then a massive top of site ad and eventually my anti-virus shuts the whole site down because it's literally pulling more resources than WoW in ultra settings... there's something wrong... wikia needs to get their act together and fix this.

Loading editor
    • I'd recommend disabling plugins in the Wikia site if you're having performance issues. The only magic bullet is making an account and deacivating the adblocker however.

Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:
      I'd recommend disabling plugins in the Wikia site if you're having performance issues. The only magic bullet is making an account and deacivating the adblocker however.

Deactivating my adblocker huh. Never gonna happen, unfortunately.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message