FANDOM

• Only recently, for some reason, did I notice the "Fantasy Wikis" nav-box Template (w:fantasyfooter, specifically) at the bottom of One Wiki to Rule Them All's main page - which shows that the Lord of the Rings Wiki is one of many recognized Fantasy Wikis.

This made me wonder: how might I go about making a similar interwiki grouping that is "Middle-earth Wikis"? Those Wikis would be:

- The Lord of the Rings Wiki (aka One Wiki to Rule Them All), foremost of course - at which I administer

- The Battle for Middle-earth Wiki (aka "Wiki for Middle-earth) - at which I administer, alone, and am expanding/developing

- The LOTR Fanon Wiki , which is legitimate seeing as how its users have done the work of creating its custom wordmark and the like, and it has committed Administrators, instead of one Admin who once founded it and now writes the entire canon of fan-fiction.

- The Midde-earth Role Playing Wiki , which also is rigorous as opposed to lazy, and holds 8,000 articles.

- and finally the Shadow of Mordor Wiki , which as well has a successfully official appearance as an online game-encyclopedia

The nutshell of this is that I would like to form something such as a "w:Middleearthfooter" template, if you follow, that would then appear at the foot of the main-page of each of those five Wikis. It would result in them becoming more recognized than they are now - to some degree at least. I'm aware that of course I should bring all this up to their Administrators, but I am presenting the idea here at Comm. Central first not only because I myself oversee two out of those five Wikis, but also because I'm assuming whoever came up with the "Fantasy Wikis" idea did something similar, and maybe was even a Staff. (?)

Thanks for your time :)

Loading editor
    • You don't have to ask permission to create a footer.

Generally, you would ask each of the wiki's admins if they would like to be in the footer, or they would add their wiki themselves.

If they accept, you would include their wiki in the footer and they would have to put the footer on their main page. With some footers, the wikis are removed if the footer is not placed somewhere on their wiki.

It's as simple as that.

Loading editor
    • Right, of course I don't. It's the recognized Wikia-group aspect of the idea that made me bring it up on this Forum.

That is simple :) Thank you!

Loading editor
    • I'd love if you could keep me updated on the idea and I was wondering if you could add the Edain Mod wiki to the list of Middle-Earth wikis. It's a mod that expands greatly upon ROTWK.

EDIT: I've started designing a more official looking one, I'm only missing a link if other Middle-Earth Wikis want to be added. I'll link it here for now but in the future I recommend a page/thread be made on a wiki for people to be able to request a change. Once it's finished I'll contact you to see if you like it.

EDIT2: First draft done .

Loading editor
    • Hey there! I have looked through your site, and has the same quality as the five. In just a moment I'll head over and provide the template :)

Always very fine meeting another BFME geek.

Loading editor
    • An addendum: I forgot to post here that I had already made the template (Necromancer I uploaded it to your Wiki, before I saw the one you yourself made.) I should have clarified that here already.

I used Hobbit Brush-hand font for the template's wordmark, and that's as official as it's going to look, since the font you used (Which is the cinematic LOTR Title-font) has become normalized and does not stand out in the same way. If this Wiki-group was limited to Wikis concerning game and film franchises, then your font would particularly make sense.

Loading editor
    • I'll change it.

Loading editor
    • gIt'll be easier if we all work off one centralized template. At the moment uploading the template o every wiki causes no problem but if we need to make an edit it will be quite an issue. What I recommend is to create a template on which we all agree and then we'll all link it off from the BFME wikia so that if any change needs to be made you'll only have to make on the BMFE wiki and it will appear automatically on the rest of the wikis.

Loading editor
    • Right. That centralized template is this one. :)

Loading editor
    • Permission to make a small edit to improve the aesthetics of the template?

EDIT: If you add {{w:Middle-earthfooter}} to your wiki it will link back there and like this you'll ever only have to do edits there, althought I would recommend that it be kept on one of the concerned wikis so that it can be locked if need be.

Loading editor
    • Sure. Edit the one here at CommCent and I'll take a look.

Never thought of that; great idea. How do I go about making it an interwiki template that's based at the LOTR Wiki? Here's the link to it there .

Loading editor
    • {{lotr:Middle-earthfooter}}

Loading editor
    • I can't tell - you're saying that's what it should be renamed? Or that if that is typed on any Wiki, the template will show?

Loading editor
    • My bad, if you type this on any wiki it will show the template. Also, done with the edit. It's a variant of the one on the edain wiki but with the links written as they were on the original template and with the picture you used.

Loading editor
    • Tried implementing the interwiki stuff here , and it didn't work.

Loading editor
    • The new border looks fantastic, but the added text at the top is unnecessary, since the words "Middle-earth Wikis" are very self-explanatory already, and there isn't really a need for those words to appear twice in a template this small. The text you added at the bottom is quite sensible, though.

Just like with the Fantasy wikis footer, no one will be confused with a nav-box that only shows a list of wikis accompanied by some words in a fancy font  ;)

Loading editor
    • This is weird, I did it on the Edain wiki and it worked fine. Might be something to do with because it's your user page or because it's community wiki. Also, fixed the footer.

Loading editor
    • Interesting. Oh and also, the list of Wikis became uncentered, on the template. It should be, in terms of what's on each line:

OWTRTA,

LOTR fanon, MERP

BFME, BFME Edain mod,

Shadow of Mordor

Loading editor
    • fixed

Loading editor
    • Excellent! Thank you. I can figure out the interwiki-linking business on my own.

Loading editor
    • Sylvan Lord
      Sylvan Lord removed this reply because:
      not needed
      22:31, February 16, 2018
      This reply has been removed
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message