FANDOM

• Howdy! I was thinking about an intro to this forum post, but decided to replace it with this meme:

Multiple themes

We have noticed that some wikis need multiple themes to efficiently do styling. Right now we support two theming tags: 'theme' and 'theme-source'. We are defining 'theme' value in templates and 'theme-source' in articles, while invoking a template. When used together 'theme-source' overrides 'theme'.

As some communities requested support for more than one theme. So we thought - let's not make these parameters exclusive. Maybe let's use both when user defines both?

For example:

Currently

<infobox theme="template theme" theme-source="themevar">

{{My Infobox}}
    <aside class="... pi-theme-template-theme ...">

{{My Infobox
    |themevar=invocation theme
    }}
    <aside class="... pi-theme-invocation-theme ...">

After proposed change

{{My Infobox}}
    <aside class="... pi-theme-template-theme ...">

{{My Infobox|themevar=invocation theme}}
    <aside class="... pi-theme-template-theme pi-theme-invocation-theme ...">

This will alter current behavior, so please let us know what do you think about it. Will it break anything on your wiki? Will it help you in any way? Do you have idea on how to do it better?

Loading editor
    • Hmm, lots of posts today. 

The master and slave theme approach works. By why not simply save yourselves some hassle and add something like "themes":

{My Infobox|themevar=theme1;theme2;theme3;}}
      <aside class="... pi-theme-template-theme pi-theme-theme1 pi-theme-theme2 pi-theme-theme3 ...">

As long as one uses a delimiter that is invalid in a css class name it should work just fine...

Currently it doesn't seem likely that making your suggested change will have any negative consequences, in fact, it will allow users to remove some hacks to add this functionality.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, sorry for that. We got back on Infobox tracks and would like to hear your feedback on many things :)

Loading editor
    • Shareif wrote:
      Yeah, sorry for that. We got back on Infobox tracks and would like to hear your feedback on many things :)

Before making this change perhaps this will have to be communicated ahead of time because although it can be easily rectified some overlapping classes may cause unusual output.

Loading editor
    • I found that the styling process of an infobox migration might involve:

1. repeating CSS declarations between infobox themes to ensure its maintainable
      2. merging the theme selectors for the same declarations in the CSS for brevity

That existing solution was because of only one theme being available in the output as a result. This was a constraint that would be well addressed with the above.

I like the idea of having a second theme class, because it can allow wikis to code a shared theming for an infobox subset and also have unique theming specific to that infobox.

Loading editor
    • Definitely. This post is a first step, one before we even start coding it.

Loading editor
    • Why did I get this thread displayed in my notifications?

Btw, I don't really understand, what you are talking about. I know a bit about wiki coding, made some templates on my own and edited some of our info-boxes, but this is above my understanding.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      FishTank removed this reply because:
      Notification error. Off-topic.
      17:26, November 27, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • FishTank
    • FishTank
    • Its a bit of a bummer but the meme might have to be relegated to an outro.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
    • I'm just amazed this wasn't thought through before you went through with the change. I can't believe it didn't occur to you that infoboxes were themed until recently.

Loading editor
    • el mejor 

Loading editor
    • Okay!

Loading editor
    • Thanks!!

Loading editor
    • Bronkiin wrote: I can't believe it didn't occur to you that infoboxes were themed until recently.

Wait, can you kindly clarify?

Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:

Bronkiin wrote: I can't believe it didn't occur to you that infoboxes were themed until recently.

Wait, can you kindly clarify?

"We have noticed that some wikis need multiple themes to efficiently do styling."

This realisation should have come long before the infobox transition was made. Most wikis rely on theming for their infoboxes. It would be obvious to anyone who paid sufficient attention to the user base.

Loading editor
    • It was possible to do it before, I guess. It was just a case of either reiterating the selectors or the declarations, but it worked to achieve migration without much difficulty.

I think this open feedback thread is a great way to get the userbase's input, and is proof that the repetition of CSS described before has indeed been listened to and is to be addressed.

Loading editor
    • Using both theme and theme-source together instead of exclusive seem like a no-brainer. What would be cool here is the option to actually be able to have multiple classes using theme. Ex.

<infobox theme="theme1|theme2" theme-source="themevar">

<aside class="... pi-theme-theme1 pi-theme-theme2 ...">

So you could for example have a general theme for characters and a subtheme for, say The Flash. This way you wouldn't have to have a "Flash character" contain redundant code common to all characters (or to all Flash infoboxes).

But with proposed combining of both themes, one can simply nest templates. So it's somewhat fixed by ex. {{Flash character}} invoking {{Character|theme=flash|...}}

Loading editor
    • que 

Loading editor
    • That's actually pretty helpful in my opinion. BTW, nice meme.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
      17:23, November 27, 2016
    • FishTank
      Off-topic.
      17:27, November 27, 2016
    • I'm stealing your meme.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
      17:24, November 27, 2016
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • That's nice. I’m looking forward to trying out these new infoboxes with themes.

Loading editor
    • TinyLittleJellybean wrote:
      That's nice. I’m looking forward to trying out these new infoboxes with themes.

Me: Yeah

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
      17:25, November 27, 2016
    • Its annoying to see thread hijacking for something in the help pages (Help:Preferences).

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • You're beating a dead meme, my friend.

GVNintendoNMoretalkcontribsblog

Loading editor
    • good lord, and this is supposed to help?

XD 

Loading editor
    • Nice meme. It's a blank meme.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      17:27, November 27, 2016
    • I'm wondering if informational posts like this should really be highlighted just in Portability wiki and maybe only advertised in some other way Community Central. This topic seems a bit narrow for all CC visitors.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      I'm wondering if informational posts like this should really be highlighted just in Portability wiki and maybe only advertised in some other way Community Central. This topic seems a bit narrow for all CC visitors.

Given that a very very few visit the Portability Hub, putting it only there would probably not recieve the variety of feedback that a thread here provides.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
      17:22, November 27, 2016
    • This would be a really amazing change that we'd benefit a lot from, so I strongly support.

Loading editor
    • FishTank wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:
      I'm wondering if informational posts like this should really be highlighted just in Portability wiki and maybe only advertised in some other way Community Central. This topic seems a bit narrow for all CC visitors.

Given that a very very few visit the Portability Hub, putting it only there would probably not recieve the variety of feedback that a thread here provides.

Variety... =)

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • Stupid question but, does this mean that tof the two themes set, one absolutely must be optional, and you cannot set two default themes?

Loading editor
    • Technobliterator wrote: Stupid question but, does this mean that tof the two themes set, one absolutely must be optional, and you cannot set two default themes?

How could two themes be default? That seems to run counter to the meaning of default.

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • I meant having two themes as default at once.

Loading editor
    • Flamethrower Marine wrote:
      What the hell is going on?

I have no idea.

Loading editor
    • Themes are just css classes so, in case of conflicts, the usual CSS priorities take over.

Loading editor
    • Nanaki wrote:
      Themes are just css classes so, in case of conflicts, the usual CSS priorities take over.

Thanks.

Loading editor
    • The thread suggests not, Technobliterator - in the original suggestion, theme-source was suggested to be split into a different second class.

I prefer Nanaki's suggestion of having theme support two themes and then giving theme-source the ability to override it to two different themes.

Loading editor
    • That seems best to me. The ability to add more than one theme to theme and separate via | or ; seems best. It may be preferable to set it to ; though, since if theme-source is supposed to be able to add multiple themes, then separating the new theme out by | will make it think it's a new template parameter.

Loading editor
    • Well, if you think about it. If there's a divide between combining theme and theme-source or not. Why not just add an attribute switch for it?

Like:

<infobox theme="sometheme" theme-source="param" useboththemes="true">

This way only thing that needs deciding is which one is default, which can even be a coin flip if you ask me ;)

Loading editor
    • FishTank
      Off-topic
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message