Fandom

Community Central

Blocked for using an adblocker for accessibility reasons

English

Blocked for using an adblocker for accessibility reasons

• Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this! Someone I know was recently blocked from viewing the Undertale wiki because they were using an adblocker. However, the reason they use an adblocker is because they are sensitive to seeing repetitive motion, flickering, and certain images that are often used in ads. I understand that ads are used to generate the revenue that supports the wiki, but I wonder if an exception can be made in this case due to the circumstances. Could they be unblocked? Or, would it be possible to implement a popup reminding people to not to use an adblocker, rather than completely preventing people from viewing the site? (Others might be having the same trouble as well.) Should I contact Fandom staff directly?

Here's what they are experiencing specifically: They get a pop-up that says, "We've noticed you're using an ad blocker. Fandom powered by Wikia is for fans, by fans. Support all fans by enabling ads on Fandom." Then they are taken to an impassible page explaining how to disable ad blocker in their browser, and they can access any of the other pages on the wiki.

Thanks for your help!

Loading editor
    • In this case, it is probably best to contact Fandom Staff with the username of the person who has been blocked. But, please remember that this is a essentail way that Fandom gets payed and it is pertinant that they have ads to allow them to continue generating revenue.

Loading editor
    • Have your friend send in a http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contact/feedback to Staff. Include all the relevant details, and any polite suggestions they may have.

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Thanks for the speedy responses! I actually posted on that Undertale admin reports board first, and they directed me here. I'll try contacting Fandom staff directly next.

And thanks for the reminder about the purpose of ads; it's good to keep that in mind. I'm just hoping we can reach some kind of compromise.

Loading editor
    • Whoops! That last comment was me (op) but I forgot to log in.

Loading editor
    • If the ad blocker warning is sending users to a dead end page it would be good to know the URL of that page or steps to get to it. This could be a bug.

The scenario being described isn't an actual block in the sense that someone intentionally is trying to prevent a user from editing. It is more like a dead end, right?

Loading editor
    • Test— I'm trying to reply but it keeps eating my response. (Hope I haven't actually triple-posted by this point.)

Loading editor
    • Ok, I hope it's working now. Anyway, you're right! As it turns out, it seems like it was just a bug. Whenever they got the pop-up that said "We've noticed you're using an ad blocker," there was no "x" button in the corner, so they could only click "Disable Ad Blocker." However, when they tried accessing the wiki again last night, this time, there was an "x" button in the corner! So they were able to click out of the popup and access the page as usual. (I tried to include screenshots, but I think the links kept breaking my post.)

So it looks like the problem was actually that the exit button was not rendering for some reason (Mac, Chrome). Seems to have fixed itself now though. Is this something I should report?

Loading editor
    • Yes. Use Special:Contact/bug.

However, I suspect it is flaky Javascript. This can happen any time, unfortunately. Also, it's always good to try different browsers. To be honest I don't trust Chrome on the Mac at all, but it's much better than it used to be.

Loading editor
    • Heh, yeah. Thanks for the help. : )

Loading editor
    • I would recommend that your friend makes an account and gets rid of all non-mainpage ads. They can then go to Special:MyPage/global.css to customize Fandom and remove ads further using display:none !important.

It is better to be safe than sorry. But if any flickering ads are seen, please follow the instructions in the Bad advertisement help page to report them to staff.

Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:

... if any flickering ads are seen, please follow the instructions in the Bad advertisement help page to report them to staff.

I doubt this would be effective over the long term (or even the short term), but who knows.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Speedit wrote:

... if any flickering ads are seen, please follow the instructions in the Bad advertisement help page to report them to staff.

I doubt this would be effective over the long term (or even the short term), but who knows.

Still, flashing/flickering ads are something Staff should know about, as they could potentially trigger seziures.

Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

Speedit wrote:

Still, flashing/flickering ads are something Staff should know about, as they could potentially trigger seziures.

Wikia staff don't really have much control over what ads appear. They can request their ad provider to not show certain ads, but the ad provider isn't obligated to make the change and no one can predict future ads that have the problem. Ad providers are notoriously uncooperative unless they stand to lose a big chunk of business and most ad providers all tend to serve ads without reviewing their content for criteria that a client might not want.

I just wish there was a way to block ads that redirect to app stores on mobile.

Loading editor
    • Just FYI for those reading, if the viewer of the page with the ad is using software like Magic Pro that converts text to voice for those with sight impairment, it is very garbled and difficult to understand because its basically getting flooded with the information from the ads. So, although its understandable that Wikia needs to get paid we also need to be mindful that these types of accessibility issues exist and be prepared to accommodate those.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote: Just FYI for those reading, if the viewer of the page with the ad is using software like Magic Pro that converts text to voice for those with sight impairment, it is very garbled and difficult to understand because its basically getting flooded with the information from the ads.

This sounds like a separate issue from the one the OP is posting about - these sorts of issues can be similarly reported using Special:Contact/bad-ad

Loading editor
    • Thanks good to know. But it's not that the ad itself is bad, it's that it overwhelms the text to speech app with too much information at once. In fairness it's not unique to Wikia, it's a common problem on a lot of websites. I just think we should take it in to consideration that there needs to be a way for users to be opt out. Even if it requires them contacting Wikia staff to do it.

Loading editor
    • A Fandom user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.