Fandom

Community Central

Making wikia and need help

  • Noreplyz
    Noreplyz closed this thread because:
    22:37, February 6, 2017

    I need helpers for my wikia I'm making I would really appreciate it. Thank you

      Loading editor
    • Do you need HelpersTM, the international non-English volunteers selected by staff? Or just regular users?

      See Help:Building a community for useful tips. Most useful tip there is: noone's going to join your wiki if you don't include at least a link, topic and small promo blurb.

        Loading editor
    • JackTheRipperDemon wrote:
      I need helpers for my wikia I'm making I would really appreciate it. Thank you

      I'll be a bureaucrat. Link me. Aztrosist (talk) 20:04, February 6, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • DO NOT PROMOTE ANYONE TO BUREAUCRAT. AT ALL. AT ANY TIME.

        Loading editor
    • ^ That's just a bad life choice.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka chill out. It's not your business. First users to a new wiki get admin duh.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: DO NOT PROMOTE ANYONE TO BUREAUCRAT. AT ALL. AT ANY TIME.

      Why not?

        Loading editor
    • Because you can't demote them. B-crats have the power to promote and demote, which is not necessary for day to day wiki administration tasks. Only promote people to b-crat when they've worked on your wiki for a long time and you trust them.

        Loading editor
    • Wrong. I became B-Crat on an 800 member wiki with 1 edit that was "can I be bureaucrat" So no. First come first serve is the basis. I am trustworthy and you are wrong. And they can be demoted by wikia staff.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Because you can't demote them. B-crats have the power to promote and demote, which is not necessary for day to day wiki administration tasks. Only promote people to b-crat when they've worked on your wiki for a long time and you trust them.

      How do I promote people? Also would you like to help me?

        Loading editor
    • Jack this should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCphTjVJuI do that for me but make me bureaucrat.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka is kind of taking it to the extreme level, but he got the biggest part of it right. Promoting users on "first come first serve" basis is a very bad idea and that has been proven too many times to count. Besides, promoting a single user to a bureaucrat won't make your wiki active enough.

      If you really want new contributors, your wiki needs to have a topic many people are interested in. Creating a duplicate wiki isn't disallowed, but isn't encouraged either because the one established later will have less contributors (in most cases). You could also read this or the page Tupka linked.

        Loading editor
    • Aztrosist wrote: Wrong. I became B-Crat on an 800 member wiki with 1 edit that was "can I be bureaucrat" So no. First come first serve is the basis. I am trustworthy and you are wrong. And they can be demoted by wikia staff.

      That is not the normal way of running a wiki, and generally not recommended. Careless and stupid, and prone to abuse. Care to give a link to that wiki so JackTheRipperDemon can test that trustworthyness for himself, and see whether it fits his community?

      There is no "first come first serve" beyond the founder.

        Loading editor
    • Kocka, I get where you are coming from, but I understand that. The first people that come to a wiki should get admin so they can grow the community together. Look at my first edit on this wiki:
      C6a48f406a4d63e9d0865e20c8daf8ad
        Loading editor
    • I got bureaucrat btw

        Loading editor
    • Which doesn't mean it's a good way of running a wiki. Tupka has been running wikis since 2008, he'd know...

      On all wikis I currently administrate, I got promoted at least a month after my first edit. Yes, I've seen people getting promoted a day after their first edit on those same wikis, but those users usually had global rights and later became inactive.

      But anyways, the OP at least should have included the link to the wiki they are speaking of. I guess they are talking about w:c:bmchs.

        Loading editor
    • Admin and Bureaucrat are two entirely different things. One is used to administrate the wiki, the other is merely a rank that gives you all the permissions to modify user rights. I'm with Tupka on that one, bureaucrats should only be given to people you trust beyond anything. As a matter of fact having more than one bureaucrat is usually not necessary, especially on small wikis. And first come, first server only works at all you can eat buffets :P

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:
      Which doesn't mean it's a good way of running a wiki. Tupka has been running wikis since 2008, he'd know...

      On all wikis I currently administrate, I got promoted at least a month after my first edit. Yes, I've seen people getting promoted a day after their first edit on those same wikis, but those users usually had global rights and later became inactive.

      But anyways, the OP at least should have included the link to the wiki they are speaking of. I guess they are talking about w:c:bmchs

      So your saying that the bureaucrat who promoted me was a bad admin? I have made over 70 good edits in the 3 days I have been bureaucrat and I have blocked at least 20 trolls and removed 10 spam pages. I plan to have the wiki troll free by 3 months.

        Loading editor
    • My question is can I just have help.

        Loading editor
    • JackTheRipperDemon wrote: My question is can I just have help.
      Yes. You can read the links Tupka and I provided on how to attract more contributors to your wiki. Posting a forum post like this isn't really a good way of doing that.

      If you need help about something specific, there are always help pages and Fandom University you can read from. Or you could ask on the forum or chat.

        Loading editor
    • @Aztrosist: We're not saying it's always a bad move, just that it's a very risky one.

        Loading editor
    • JackTheRipperDemon wrote:
      My question is can I just have help.

      Yes. Click this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCphTjVJuIm and follow the instructions but make me bureaucrat not admin okay?

        Loading editor
    • Yes, But if you have a problem with your bureaucrat you hired just get wikia staff to demote them. It's one level up from admin like wikia themselves said. It is simply higher.

        Loading editor
    • Rick Sanhez
      Rick Sanhez removed this reply because:
      .
      22:34, February 6, 2017
      This reply has been removed

      I side with Kocka and Tupka here. Making "give me admin" as your first edit is never a good idea, and would be rejected on wikis with active admins. This thread is the perfect example of such.

      Quote from that thread's first response from an admin:

      "Your first and only edit on the wiki is simply asking to be admin. You've been a member on the site for less than a day and have not contributed at all. Given that this is the case, what makes you think you have the ability to represent the community?"

      Keep in mind that this is from an established community, so not perfectly applicable to this situation, but the basic point still stands. Make edits, contribute, use the forums, do something beyond asking for adminship before asking for adminship to prove you might do a good job as admin.

      This is an example of how to do it correctly, in my opinion.

      "I've also gone ahead and made you an admin since you have prior Wikia experience and have made recent edits."

      And that's just adminship (without even asking), I didn't become a crat until this thread:

      "Bureaucrats are the only users who can give others rights and I feel, with your tendency to be not all that active we need another crat. I'm requesting myself for those rights since I am the only other admin. I'm going to consult with you before any promotions, but if you become permanently inactive (or enter a hiatus similar to the one that just ended) we need someone else with those rights."

      Keep in mind that this was the judgement of one admin, and I am a bit biased since the user asking for rights is my old account (although the same applies to Aztrosist).

        Loading editor
    • I understand that. I know that user despair. Former admin of LMW. But thats besides the point. The point is however, I offer to clean up wikis. I am an amazing contributer. The reason why I hate editing on wikis when I'm not admin is because I feel biased by other admins and I feel weak. I feel like wikis use admin like its a dictatorship. I try to help clean up yes, but it's not so easy. I can make fast edits if I wanted to. Hell, I could make 100 edits in 24 hours if I wanted, but It's different. Geoshea's lost episodes wiki, take for example has 800 members and the only active admin was about to quit so he gave me bureaucrat rights. It might be so simple to you but you don't understand.

        Loading editor
    • What are the ranks I can use

        Loading editor
    • JackTheRipperDemon wrote:
      What are the ranks I can use

      Help:User rights

        Loading editor
    • Rick. Your a joke. Your banned from chat for being a sock. LOL

        Loading editor
    • Why would you say that?

        Loading editor
    • Rick Sanhez
      Rick Sanhez removed this reply because:
      .
      22:34, February 6, 2017
      This reply has been removed
      Aztrosist wrote:
      I understand that. I know that user despair. Former admin of LMW. But thats besides the point. The point is however, I offer to clean up wikis. I am an amazing contributer. The reason why I hate editing on wikis when I'm not admin is because I feel biased by other admins and I feel weak. I feel like wikis use admin like its a dictatorship. I try to help clean up yes, but it's not so easy. I can make fast edits if I wanted to. Hell, I could make 100 edits in 24 hours if I wanted, but It's different. Geoshea's lost episodes wiki, take for example has 800 members and the only active admin was about to quit so he gave me bureaucrat rights. It might be so simple to you but you don't understand.

      I understand that some wikis might not have admins who are going to continue to be active, but that's not actually the case for GLEW, and if you are active and meet a certain criteria, you can adopt a wiki with inactive admins.

      >It might be so simple to you but you don't understand.

      Apologies if this seems rude, but it's a lot more complicated to earn rights or adopt wikis than posting "give me admin" on a message wall.

        Loading editor
    • Rick Sanhez
      Rick Sanhez removed this reply because:
      .
      22:34, February 6, 2017
      This reply has been removed
      Aztrosist wrote:
      Rick. Your a joke. Your banned from chat for being a sock. LOL

      Personal attacks don't help your argument.

        Loading editor
    • This thread is starting to get off topic.

      It's advised that you do not promote users unless you know them and have seen their contributions - while rights can be helpful to the wiki, some abilities can be harmful and hard to revert.

      JackTheRipperDemon, I think you have gotten your response - Help:Building a community is a good start to getting other's attention to your wiki. You can also try and create a blog post - Category:Wiki Promotions has a couple of examples that you can look at, and you can create your own.

      I'll be closing this thread now.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.