FANDOM

• I don't know what's happened, but a lot of, if not all of, the photos on the wiki just suddenly have become all blurry and poor-quality when attached to articles. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Thanks either way.

Loading editor
    • Links welcome

Loading editor
    • Ciencia Al Poder wrote:
      Links welcome

What do you mean?

Loading editor
    • You perceived that the photos have lost their quality, but we need to see them in order to check if that's correct, where it happens... We don't know which wiki are you talking about to begin with

Loading editor
    • I echo Ciencia Al Poder's request for links. Also, is this happening to images that have already been added to articles or only to those are a newly added to articles?

Loading editor
      You perceived that the photos have lost their quality, but we need to see them in order to check if that's correct, where it happens... We don't know which wiki are you talking about to begin with

I don't know why you think I'm lying? What would I stand to gain from that? I've tested this from multiple places, I believe the quality reduced at some point last night. How would you know if they lost quality either, you didn't see the photo before.

Here is an example though Alistair Jensson. The main photo used to be very sharp, now it's pixeled, the other pictures used to be sharp too, now pixeled.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      I echo Ciencia Al Poder's request for links. Also, is this happening to images that have already been added to articles or only to those are a newly added to articles?

Old articles, not that I've created a new article since this started happening to know if it's not both. It seems like all photos have reduced quality when on articles though.

Loading editor
    • I see them fine. The photo inside the infobox looks very sharp for me. I guess that if I would see the same defect as you (pixelated) it would also be notorious for me but it's not. Maybe it was a temporary effect and now it's fixed? Portable Infoboxes, as any wikia feature, tend to be buggy from time to time so it won't surprise me :)

Loading editor
      I see them fine. The photo inside the infobox looks very sharp for me. I guess that if I would see the same defect as you (pixelated) it would also be notorious for me but it's not. Maybe it was a temporary effect and now it's fixed? Portable Infoboxes, as any wikia feature, tend to be buggy from time to time so it won't surprise me :)

It's not just on infoboxes though, and it's still blurry for me. I don't understand why it would be blurry for me, from multiple locations and computers but not you. Is there any other thing this could be? 'cause I don't want it to remain this way indefinately. It really bugs me to see them like this, especially when I know I put effort into making mine sharp/crisp.

Loading editor
    • I see this [1]

Loading editor
      I see this [1]

It doesn't look like that for me. Is this the mobile version of the website or the desktop version (it doesn't look like the desktop version), perhaps the problem isn't happening on mobile?

This is what it looks like for me anyway.

Loading editor
    • Does the unscaled version look pixelated?

Alistair0001.png

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Does the unscaled version look pixelated?

Alistair0001.png

No, it looks fine strangely, but it did also use to look okay scaled down, it was only last night this became an issue even when the photos were scaled-down.

Loading editor
    • ShotgunsAndSass wrote:

Ciencia Al Poder wrote:
      I see this [1]

It doesn't look like that for me. Is this the mobile version of the website or the desktop version (it doesn't look like the desktop version), perhaps the problem isn't happening on mobile?

In the screenshots you both linked to, the image looks the same to me. I don't see any difference except the format of the surrounding content.

Loading editor
    • It's possible it was an intermittent bug with the cache of scaled images. This has happened before. If you see it widespread on a wiki, or better, multiple wikis, wait an hour or so and see if the problem is still there. If it persists and others see it also, report it to Special:Contact/bug.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

ShotgunsAndSass wrote:

Ciencia Al Poder wrote:
      I see this [1]

In the screenshots you both linked to, the image looks the same to me. I don't see any difference except the format of the surrounding content.

It's the same photo, just a difference in quality.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      It's possible it was an intermittent bug with the cache of scaled images. This has happened before. If you see it widespread on a wiki, or better, multiple wikis, wait an hour or so and see if the problem is still there. If it persists and others see it also, report it to Special:Contact/bug.

This has been happening for over a day now, so an hour or so hasn't let it fix itself, and some of my other admins have mentioned it too. I'll try contacting wikia then, thanks for the help.

Loading editor
    • ShotgunsAndSass wrote:
      Andrewds1021 wrote:

ShotgunsAndSass wrote:

Ciencia Al Poder wrote:
      I see this [1]

It's the same photo, just a difference in quality.

I agree. One is pixelated better while the other isn't.

Loading editor
    • Wikia appears to be aware of an image problem in infoboxes, see Blurry Infobox Images.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Wikia appears to be aware of an image problem in infoboxes, see Blurry Infobox Images.

I messaged them about it. No resolution so far but it may be taking some time. I think they updated how some images are displayed, and that's what's happening. Hope it gets resolved soon, though.

Loading editor
    • Since I also posted on the other thread - just want to confirm here too: yeah, we see and understand the quality concerns, and the team are looking into it.

Loading editor
    • An update on this: we've been making some tweaks to the image compression behaviour that should improve matters. However, since images are cached, the effects won't be visible everywhere immediately. We'll likely include an update on the current status on the next Tech Update.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      An update on this: we've been making some tweaks to the image compression behaviour that should improve matters. However, since images are cached, the effects won't be visible everywhere immediately. We'll likely include an update on the current status on the next Tech Update.

I don't know if the problem should have been fixed by what you're tried yet, but my wiki's images still haven't improved. They're all still blurry to me.

Loading editor
    • It'll take a little while for them all to update - but you should be starting to see improvements already. The example from this thread appears to be updated now, for example.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      It'll take a little while for them all to update - but you should be starting to see improvements already. The example from this thread appears to be updated now, for example.

Thanks, I see what you mean now, I don;t think it had when I replied to you. Typical that. I just wanted to make sure is all. I understand that these things can take time to roll out 100%

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      It'll take a little while for them all to update - but you should be starting to see improvements already. The example from this thread appears to be updated now, for example.

Glad to see it's being worked on! Hoping to see some change soon.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:

Hi, really sorry to bump this again since I know it's being worked on, but is there maybe any indication of how long it could take?

Loading editor
    • 0Abstruse wrote:
      Kirkburn wrote:
      Hi, really sorry to bump this again since I know it's being worked on, but is there maybe any indication of how long it could take?

A lot of the changes have already occured (definitely on my behalf). If you are not seeing changes, I suggest you clearing your cache and/or purging your wiki's pages. This should help, but the changes have already occured...

algorithmzwall 01:03, March 8, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Algorithmz wrote:
      0Abstruse wrote:
      Kirkburn wrote:
      A lot of the changes have already occured (definitely on my behalf). If you are not seeing changes, I suggest you clearing your cache and/or purging your wiki's pages. This should help, but the changes have already occured...

algorithmzwall 01:03, March 8, 2017 (UTC)

Well certainly not on my wiki, that's why I'm asking. I clear my cache all the time.

Loading editor
    • May I get a link to the wiki that you have this problem on? I just want to see if the issues will occur on my behalf and see if there is anything you, myself, or staff can do to fix it.

Thanks,

algorithmzwall 13:20, March 8, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • We made another tweak late last week that improves the quality for JPEGs (the earlier tweak was aimed at PNGs), which is also dependent on caching updates. I'll check with the team about how long it might take to get everything updated.

Loading editor
    • Hi, on one of the wikis I frequent the wiki is used in part as a centralized public storage of sprites. As you might guess, universal changes to images on wikia's end is a serious issue for sprites which are hit quite hard by any compression whatsoever.

Is there going to be a way to opt out of this? Will wikia possibly make changes like this in the future that damage the content on its wikis? If so the particular wiki will probably have to stop functioning in the way it does.

Loading editor
    • As far as I am aware, the changes didn't impact the files themselves, just how they are rendered. Either way, I don't think Wikia would make an exception unless the wiki you are referring to is particularly huge and widely used. There are far too many wikis for it to be practical to tweak every change for every wiki.

Loading editor
    • It's like T500 or something like that. Not asking about any specific exceptions, just a question about wikia's plans in the future.

Loading editor
    • 129.97.125.27 wrote: Hi, on one of the wikis I frequent the wiki is used in part as a centralized public storage of sprites. As you might guess, universal changes to images on wikia's end is a serious issue for sprites which are hit quite hard by any compression whatsoever.

Is there going to be a way to opt out of this? Will wikia possibly make changes like this in the future that damage the content on its wikis? If so the particular wiki will probably have to stop functioning in the way it does.

And this wiki is?

Loading editor
    • We don't alter the original image uploads that users make. Only copies that are displayed (e.g. on articles) are altered. This means, if you click the 'download' link on a file page, you get the original unaltered upload.

Loading editor
    • Is there a problem again? Someone started this thread: Images appearing low quality in articles.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Is there a problem again? Someone started this thread: Images appearing low quality in articles.

Mine seem to be fixed now to me, I have had people report that they find them blurry still. I don't know what that could be.

Loading editor
    • ShotgunsAndSass wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:
      Is there a problem again? Someone started this thread: Images appearing low quality in articles.

Mine seem to be fixed now to me, I have had people report that they find them blurry still. I don't know what that could be.

Maybe continuing problems are browser specific?

Loading editor
    • WebP images are only used in supporting browsers (like Chrome, but not Firefox currently), so browser choice would have some effect. It is possible some images are still cached with the older WebP settings, too.

We are definitely interested in seeing specific examples of problem images, and would encourage anyone to send them in to Special:Contact/bug for us to review.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      WebP images are only used in supporting browsers (like Chrome, but not Firefox currently), so browser choice would have some effect. It is possible some images are still cached with the older WebP settings, too.

We are definitely interested in seeing specific examples of problem images, and would encourage anyone to send them in to Special:Contact/bug for us to review.

I'll ask the users in question whether they're on Chrome or Firefox. I've already suggested clearing the cache, though so I doubt if it's a cahce issue it's on the users' ends.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message