FANDOM

• Next week we will be releasing design updates for the Recent Wiki Activity and Trending Fandom Articles modules in the right rail. These updates will go live on Thursday, April 20th. These changes are part of Wiki Modernization and are designed to bring a cleaner look to the right rail. Here is what these modules will look like:

Right Rail Updates

We may do some additional testing on the design of Trending Fandom Articles as we continue to experiment with the best ways to bring relevant entertainment news and stories to the most amount of readers. We will not be doing testing on the Recent Wiki Activity module.

Some wikis that have applied custom CSS to the Recent Wiki Activity module may run into design issues as a result of this change. Those wikis will need to update or remove their CSS in order to account for the changes, otherwise the design may look a bit off for readers.

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

Loading editor
    • Very nice! I like the new design! I would suggest a sticker (such as the chat and community stickers) by any user with special access to content on the wiki under "Recent Wiki Activity" just so users can distinguish which edits where made by admins, content mods, staff, helpers, and VSTF. Outside of that, I don't have any other suggestions until the feature is implemented and is public. :D

Algorithmz_Logo_15x15.pngalgorithmz wall 22:25, April 6, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Hey Brandon, my wiki currently uses custom css in the sidebar. Is there some flag I can enable to load pages with these changes in order to prepare for this? Thanks.

Loading editor
    • BoatsAreRockable wrote: Hey Brandon, my wiki currently uses custom css in the sidebar. Is there some flag I can enable to load pages with these changes in order to prepare for this? Thanks.

Unfortunately no. It's not live anywhere yet, including in an accessible preview environment.

Loading editor
    • Brandon, can we see the Discussions icons for Admins and other special groups next to usernames in the new Recent Wiki Activity area? I'm hoping to see that expand to the entire wiki at some point (so we can stop modifying admins with CSS), and it seems like this update is as good a time as any to begin that.

Loading editor
    • It would be cool to have new designs for the wiki what about the WAM

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: Brandon, can we see the Discussions icons for Admins and other special groups next to usernames in the new Recent Wiki Activity area? I'm hoping to see that expand to the entire wiki at some point (so we can stop modifying admins with CSS), and it seems like this update is as good a time as any to begin that.

I'll bring that feedback to the team. I don't anticipate it happening, in order to have a cleaner and more minimal experience, but I'll let them know.

Loading editor
    • Recent Wiki Activity should really be above the trending articles (which seem highly redundant now imo, given that basically the same thing is at the bottom of all pages)

Loading editor
    • ΜΖD wrote: Recent Wiki Activity should really be above the trending articles (which seem highly redundant now imo, given that basically the same thing is at the bottom of all pages)

Recent Wiki Activity is already below Trending Fandom Articles for logged-out users. Only logged-in users see it at the top. So this new change only updates the design. Functionality remains the same.

Loading editor
    • About time the Trending Fandom Articles module is being shrunk, though honestly I don't see its need anymore. As for the Recent Wiki Activity module, doesn't look like a big deal.

Loading editor
    • That won't work very well for roleplaying wikis tbh

Loading editor
    • FalcoLombardi99 wrote: That won't work very well for roleplaying wikis tbh

How would this change impact role-playing wikis?

Loading editor
    • Since most activities are in the forums and the old sidebar worked better with those wikis since the new sidebar might make it harder to find stuff on those wikis.

Loading editor
    • FalcoLombardi99 wrote: Since most activities are in the forums and the old sidebar worked better with those wikis since the new sidebar might make it harder to find stuff on those wikis.

You missed Brandon's note earlier:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

this new change only updates the design. Functionality remains the same.

Loading editor
    • Correct. The module will work exactly the same. It will just have a few design tweaks.

Loading editor
    • ... hablo en español :V

Loading editor
    • Marqcl13541 wrote: ... hablo en español :V

Hi, this is an English Wiki. A Spanish version of this announcement will be posted sometime in the next week.

Loading editor
    • Okay, I hope you don't add discussions to roleplaying wikis though because forums are better for roleplaying

Loading editor
    • FalcoLombardi99 wrote: Okay, I hope you don't add discussions to roleplaying wikis though because forums are better for roleplaying

This thread isn't about Discussions, but feel free to send your thoughts about that to Special:Contact/feedback.

Loading editor
    • Hey, is there a way this could be disabled via custom CSS? Like, maybe even if it was in user CSS. I'd really like to know...

(also if you're replying to this, don't do it on this thread because it'll probably get buried before I see you even replied)

Loading editor
    • Camwood777 wrote: Hey, is there a way this could be disabled via custom CSS? Like, maybe even if it was in user CSS. I'd really like to know...

(also if you're replying to this, don't do it on this thread because it'll probably get buried before I see you even replied)

I'll reply here so everyone else can see it as well.

You can change anything you want in your personal CSS, but it can't be disabled for an entire wiki using CSS.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

Camwood777 wrote: Hey, is there a way this could be disabled via custom CSS? Like, maybe even if it was in user CSS. I'd really like to know...

I'll reply here so everyone else can see it as well.

You can change anything you want in your personal CSS, but it can't be disabled for an entire wiki using CSS.

Ah. Can someone whip up a good code for the people out there who wanna put it on their personal CSS?

Loading editor
    • Probably have to wait till the update is live. There's codes to change the rail, remove trending articles, etc right now but idk if they'll still work.

Loading editor
    • Glad the new design shrunk Trending Fandom Articles. Less annoying, but it could've been removed since it is redundant having this and Fan Feed.

Loading editor
    • SJ2305 wrote: It would be cool to have new designs for the wiki what about the WAM

I don't really see the problem to the WAM design. It does seem to be new-looking enough to me.

Loading editor
    • ok

Loading editor
    • Will this change affect the other modules (such as the chat module and Community Corner)?

Loading editor
    • Oh thanks, now trending articles can no longer affect me reading infomation.

Loading editor
    • KurwaAntics
      KurwaAntics removed this reply because:
      useless
      12:19, April 7, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • FalcoLombardi99 wrote: Since most activities are in the forums and the old sidebar worked better with those wikis since the new sidebar might make it harder to find stuff on those wikis.

You make an excellent point - and I think you need to be involved in the threads about the Discussions feature. The last time I looked the plan was to have Discussions replace Forums (if I understood that correctly), so get your voice heard if you're using Forums in a different way.

Loading editor
    • Would there be a way to disable this new design on certain wikis? It would be a waste of effort if someone put CSS onto it then have it removed because of the new design.

Loading editor
    • Robyn Grayson wrote: Would there be a way to disable this new design on certain wikis? It would be a waste of effort if someone put CSS onto it then have it removed because of the new design.
      Custom CSS was never supported by Wikia, so very likely not.

For reference, a Wikia engineer complained about #RECIRCULATION_RAIL being in allcaps so this change might break some CSS that was hiding Trending Fandom Articles section.

It looks like pull requests for this change are this, this(?) and this.

Loading editor
    • Look pretty neat tbh. I like it.

Loading editor
    • Looks really good and slick, it fits in nicely.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote: About time the Trending Fandom Articles module is being shrunk, though honestly I don't see its need anymore. As for the Recent Wiki Activity module, doesn't look like a big deal.

Yeah, I'm glad they shrunk TFA. Although, it would've been better if Fan Feed was implemented as a replacement of TFA. That replacement could've reduced redundacy, clutter and improve the experience of readers.

Loading editor
    • Trending Fandom Articles is used by a lot of readers and showcases articles that are relevant to them. Fan Feed is a collection of individual wiki spotlights, wiki content, and news and stories. Trending Fandom Articles is not redundant, and is a popular and well-utilized feature of the page.

Loading editor
    • How well used, exactly? How much traffic does it garner in comparison to normal readership?

Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote: How well used, exactly? How much traffic does it garner in comparison to normal readership?

Traffic stats are proprietary so I can't share that with you. Sorry.

Loading editor
    • I understand. But I’m sure that you will understand my skepticism as well.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote: Trending Fandom Articles is used by a lot of readers and showcases articles that are relevant to them. Fan Feed is a collection of individual wiki spotlights, wiki content, and news and stories. Trending Fandom Articles is not redundant, and is a popular and well-utilized feature of the page.

Is this true across most large wikis or just a few? Surely that general info can't be proprietary.

I actually really like Trending Articles, but it would be cooler if it could be put in other places on the wiki like <activityfeed />.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

Trending Fandom Articles is used by a lot of readers and showcases articles that are relevant to them. Fan Feed is a collection of individual wiki spotlights, wiki content, and news and stories. Trending Fandom Articles is not redundant, and is a popular and well-utilized feature of the page.

I don't believe you. At all. I want to see this data, because on my wiki, Trending Fandom Articles has not updated in months and Fan Feed hasn't updated since its introduction. Both of them are using articles from 2016, all of which are now outdated and most of which are worthless.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote: Trending Fandom Articles is used by a lot of readers and showcases articles that are relevant to them. Fan Feed is a collection of individual wiki spotlights, wiki content, and news and stories. Trending Fandom Articles is not redundant, and is a popular and well-utilized feature of the page.

Is this true across most large wikis or just a few? Surely that general info can't be proprietary.

I actually really like Trending Articles, but it would be cooler if it could be put in other places on the wiki like <activityfeed />.

Generally spread across all of the top-trafficked communities, I believe, which are the ones that would also show up in places like WAM. That's where most wiki traffic comes from in general as well.

I'll take your feedback about moving it to the team too. Trending Fandom Articles is in a constant state of experimentation so placement, etc could always change in the future depending on what works best. Hence where these design changes are coming from as well.

And just so everyone is clear, and so as to not bog down this thread, I'll be sticking to design in the rest of my replies since that's what this thread is about. Feedback or questions beyond that can be sent to Special:Contact/feedback.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:
      Trending Fandom Articles is used by a lot of readers and showcases articles that are relevant to them. Fan Feed is a collection of individual wiki spotlights, wiki content, and news and stories. Trending Fandom Articles is not redundant, and is a popular and well-utilized feature of the page.

Is there even proof that people do actually check and like these articles? Explain about it. I've seen a 400 message thread, in which almost each message contains hate speech towards trending fandom articles.

Loading editor
    • I don't want to move it, I want to be able to put it elsewhere in addition. However, other admins probably would welcome any flexibility on the location.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy
      JustLeafy removed this reply because:
      18:35, April 7, 2017
    • Fandyllic wrote: I don't want to move it, I want to be able to put it elsewhere in addition. However, other admins probably would welcome any flexibility on the location.

Oh! Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I think that's a cool idea so I'll tell the team.

Loading editor
    • How about layout like this (screen 1)? Now I made it using gradient as background of the .WikiaPageBackground - will it be easier to implement? If I set the background for the #WikiaRail, that background ends along with the last module - my version ends later, before spotlight section (screen 2).

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

I don't believe you. At all. I want to see this data, because on my wiki, Trending Fandom Articles has not updated in months and Fan Feed hasn't updated since its introduction. Both of them are using articles from 2016, all of which are now outdated and most of which are worthless.

Unfortunately, unless your wiki is high on the WAM list, it probably won't get much attention. This has been true for quite awhile. When WoWWiki was high on the WAM list (or its previously unexposed predecessor), Fandom was very responsive. Now it's more like... get in line.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Is there even proof that people do actually check and like these articles? Explain about it. I've seen a 400 message thread, in which almost each message contains hate speech towards trending fandom articles.
      Brandon wrote an hour ago they can't tell you the actual statistics. Hate speech about the Trending Fandom Articles module, even on Community Central, is very common, as are hate speeches about many other new Wikia features and the fact they renamed to Fandom, but I still don't understand how is that 400+ comment hate thread relevant to this thread.
        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Unfortunately, unless your wiki is high on the WAM list, it probably won't get much attention. This has been true for quite awhile. When WoWWiki was high on the WAM list (or its previously unexposed predecessor), Fandom was very responsive. Now it's more like... get in line.

WAM shouldn't matter. Trending Fandom Articles should be as the title says: the trending articles. If it's not an automated system, and Fandom has to manually change the articles shown there for individual wikis, that's insane. It should be an automated system.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

WAM shouldn't matter. Trending Fandom Articles should be as the title says: the trending articles. If it's not an automated system, and Fandom has to manually change the articles shown there for individual wikis, that's insane. It should be an automated system.

It's both, and it's updated all the time. Send me a screenshot of what you're seeing via either Special:Contact (say "To Brandon" in the subject line) or to my Fandom email address and I'll look into why you're not seeing any updates. Because you should be seeing them.

Loading editor
    • I've hidden the TFA module because of its ridiculous size (others forced to see it are glad it's being brought down to an appropriate size). Flexibility is always welcome.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy
      JustLeafy removed this reply because:
      18:55, April 7, 2017
    • Aye, I agree with DEmerson. I personally have kept it hidden from view (first with Adblock & then with Global CSS) since the beginning, as it is singularly useless to me. The more flexible & unintrusive its positioning is, the better. Keep it if you must, I’m sure that on a website with millions of views there will be some people who use it, but it should not be thrust insistently in the faces of most people who could not care less/lack the means to keep it away.
      That also stems into a bigger issue. The more intrusive native advertisements become, the more people will use adblock & take your revenue away. If the advertisements are not extremely problematic, then they will not need to use adblock. It’s some money vs no money Brandon.
        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I don't want to move it, I want to be able to put it elsewhere in addition. However, other admins probably would welcome any flexibility on the location.
      If you want, you could write a script that grabs information from this, this or this and insert it into your content pages. Note that the same CSS as the one in the rail won't be applied if you insert in into page content.
        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:
      Aye, I agree with DEmerson. I personally have kept it hidden from view (first with Adblock & then with Global CSS) since the beginning, as it is singularly useless to me. The more flexible & unintrusive its positioning is, the better. Keep it if you must, I’m sure that on a website with millions of views there will be some people who use it, but it should not be thrust insistently in the faces of most people who could not care less/lack the means to keep it away.
      That also stems into a bigger issue. The more intrusive native advertisements become, the more people will use adblock & take your revenue away. If the advertisements are not extremely problematic, then they will not need to use adblock. It’s some money vs no money Brandon.

The design change was acceptable. However, it could've been best moving it into some Special pages like the Wiki Activity page, and TFA can be removed from content pages.

Loading editor
    • No thanks, how about you give us the new header and article page designs first instead of adding this new right rail only; making it look half assed on the wikis without the new header and article page designs.

Loading editor
    • Mrox2 wrote: No thanks, how about you give us the new header and article page designs first instead of adding this new right rail only; making it look half assed on the wikis without the new header and article page designs.

I do wish the new header update would come out sooner than later, I want it so bad.

Loading editor
    • ΜΖD wrote:

Mrox2 wrote: No thanks, how about you give us the new header and article page designs first instead of adding this new right rail only; making it look half assed on the wikis without the new header and article page designs.

I do wish the new header update would come out sooner than later, I want it so bad.

That will be out on all wikis soon! Should only be a few more weeks.

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:

If you want, you could write a script that grabs information from this, this or this and insert it into your content pages. Note that the same CSS as the one in the rail won't be applied if you insert in into page content.

Thanks, that will be useful.

There really should be help pages for Trending Articles (and the right rail), but until they make a tag, I supposed they won't have one.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:
      I've hidden the TFA module because of its ridiculous size (others forced to see it are glad it's being brought down to an appropriate size). Flexibility is always welcome.

Frankly, the thing is terrible. I wish Wikia would remove it all together. I get wanting to keep up with the times but I'm pretty sure *nobody* clicks on those things. They're more or less Buzzfeed articles, except Buzzfeed is a lot more popular. Like, seriously, I've never seen one person talk about fandom articles. It may just be my friends but I've legitimately never seen a single person share a fandom article on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, or literally anywhere outside of Wikia. I'd love to see some data on how many people look at them, but the fact that Wikia isn't open with sharing it seems to suggest they're not doing so well...

The updated version looks a lot nicer, though. I still think the "Recent Activity" tab should apepar on top of it (for all users), though, because that's much more important than advertising Fandom articles. I'd also like the articles to be a bit more related to the wikis they're advertising on -- if I'm reading an article on the Dragon Ball wiki, I don't think I should be seeing articles about Zombie Invasions, a Marvel movie, or a vote for the "top five LGBT couples in Fandom". Sorry for the random rant haha.

Loading editor
    • The problems with how TFA gets selected for individual wikis is a different, much longer thread. They wouldn't be as unpopular (with admins), if they were more targeted by genre (even if very general like books vs games vs movies/TV).

Loading editor
    • Final Chidori wrote:

DEmersonJMFM wrote:
      I've hidden the TFA module because of its ridiculous size (others forced to see it are glad it's being brought down to an appropriate size). Flexibility is always welcome.

Frankly, the thing is terrible. I wish Wikia would remove it all together. I get wanting to keep up with the times but I'm pretty sure *nobody* clicks on those things. They're more or less Buzzfeed articles, except Buzzfeed is a lot more popular. Like, seriously, I've never seen one person talk about fandom articles. It may just be my friends but I've legitimately never seen a single person share a fandom article on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, or literally anywhere outside of Wikia. I'd love to see some data on how many people look at them, but the fact that Wikia isn't open with sharing it seems to suggest they're not doing so well...

The updated version looks a lot nicer, though. I still think the "Recent Activity" tab should apepar on top of it (for all users), though, because that's much more important than advertising Fandom articles. I'd also like the articles to be a bit more related to the wikis they're advertising on -- if I'm reading an article on the Dragon Ball wiki, I don't think I should be seeing articles about Zombie Invasions, a Marvel movie, or a vote for the "top five LGBT couples in Fandom". Sorry for the random rant haha.

I've legitimately seen a 400 message thread, with almost each message being filled with hate speech towards TFA.

Loading editor
    • I like it, previous TFA took a lot of space now it's shorter.

Loading editor
    • MikeLacey wrote:

FalcoLombardi99 wrote: Since most activities are in the forums and the old sidebar worked better with those wikis since the new sidebar might make it harder to find stuff on those wikis.

You make an excellent point - and I think you need to be involved in the threads about the Discussions feature. The last time I looked the plan was to have Discussions replace Forums (if I understood that correctly), so get your voice heard if you're using Forums in a different way.

I agree with FalcoLombardi99. The forums already work well enough for me.

JustLeafy wrote:

Final Chidori wrote:

DEmersonJMFM wrote:

I've legitimately seen a 400 message thread, with almost each message being filled with hate speech towards TFA.

I second this. TFA is just cringeworthy.

Loading editor
    • right

Loading editor
    • Agreed, but the minor change explained in this thread made me hate TFA less.

Loading editor
    • The Fandom videos are the most cringeworthy though. They are just mindless, mainstream, short bites that have almost nothing to do with actual fandom and doesn't really appeal to people in fandoms. They are way too much like every other YouTube videos out there that talks about the "latest movie news". Like CleverrMovies, or whatever it's called.

Loading editor
    • my name is "brandon" too!

Loading editor
    • I quite like the new rail design.  However, I think a couple of (optional) modules are needed such as the old related videos, images, categories or similar in the style of the new TFA so there is something related to your wiki and then there's TFA as it is.

Loading editor
    • I don't really use it so it doesn't affect me and to be honest complaining is pointless because the Wikia devs don't care what we want anyway and are going to do whatever they want anyway.

Loading editor
    • The recent activity should go first, then the trending articles.

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • This does mean I'll be removing the custom background on the rail or adding a border back, but a change to TFA is only welcome.

Fandyllic wrote: I don't want to move it, I want to be able to put it elsewhere in addition. However, other admins probably would welcome any flexibility on the location.

I've seen quite a few massive wikis find their own way of embedding other videos from the shared library and homepage articles. A self-updating embedded source feed of news around the wiki topic would be nice.

Loading editor
    • THIS NEW ONE LOOKS SOOOOO CONFUSING PLZ NO

Loading editor
    • Err... I'm not sure if anyone posted it, but for the User CSS for the old code; when that's made, please do send it to me directly, because I'm not following this thread anymore. Preferably by means of the Plants vs. Zombies Wikia, as that's where I am most frequently located at.

Loading editor
    • Or you can make a thread here.

Loading editor
    • This looks great but one thing I don't like is that there are no icons next to the list items in the recent acitivty module (unless there are plans of keeping them and the screenshot is not up to date).

Loading editor
    • Honestly, I don't care. My wiki already has CSS that will negate all of this, and if it ends up getting in the way I'll just display: none; it.

Loading editor
    • Dragonleaf5678 wrote:
      Honestly, I don't care. My wiki already has CSS that will negate all of this, and if it ends up getting in the way I'll just display: none; it.

What wiki is that?

Loading editor
    • HI Brandon,

I apprciate the new design. It looks smooth and efficient. Just 1 quesiton. How will this look for mobile viewers?

Loading editor
    • MechQuester wrote:
      HI Brandon,

I apprciate the new design. It looks smooth and efficient. Just 1 quesiton. How will this look for mobile viewers?

I believe that this feature will only affect PC users, or mobile users with the desktop interface. So far, all of the announced Wiki Modernization Projects are used for the desktop interface.

Loading editor
    • I think this idea is great!

I cant wait to submit my forms to become a community council.

Loading editor
    • Are you guys planning to add this for logged in users as well soon?

Loading editor
    • Someones alt
      Someones alt removed this reply because:
      testing
      08:37, April 10, 2017
    • i have mixed feeling about this new look. its too simplistic. sometimes simplicity is what makes a design modern and satisfying to look at but if it's too simple, it looks old and outused.

Loading editor
    • I must admit, I didn't think I'd say this, but this doesn't actually worry me in the slightest. It's just another new update for me. Another challenge - how I'm going to adjust to it, but as far as adjustments go, I won't really have to do much, if at all.

Loading editor
    • I actually like this new change; definitely a step towards making Wikis look better in general.

Loading editor
    • Roseofwales wrote: I quite like the new rail design. However, I think a couple of (optional) modules are needed such as the old related videos, images, categories or similar in the style of the new TFA so there is something related to your wiki and then there's TFA as it is.

Those old modules were barely used so they were just taking up space. That's why we removed them. We don't have any plans to bring those back.

MechQuester wrote: HI Brandon,

The right rail doesn't appear in the mobile skin so this won't impact mobile viewers. If you view the site on your mobile device using the Full Site option then it will look the same as it does on desktop.

Maurice.136 wrote: Are you guys planning to add this for logged in users as well soon?

It will be released for logged-in and logged-out users at the same time.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

Roseofwales wrote: I quite like the new rail design. However, I think a couple of (optional) modules are needed such as the old related videos, images, categories or similar in the style of the new TFA so there is something related to your wiki and then there's TFA as it is.

Those old modules were barely used so they were just taking up space. That's why we removed them. We don't have any plans to bring those back.

MechQuester wrote: HI Brandon,

The right rail doesn't appear in the mobile skin so this won't impact mobile viewers. If you view the site on your mobile device using the Full Site option then it will look the same as it does on desktop.

Maurice.136 wrote: Are you guys planning to add this for logged in users as well soon?

It will be released for logged-in and logged-out users at the same time.

Will the new design be released tomorrow?

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Will the new design be released tomorrow?

More likely it'll be Thursday. When I know for sure, I will update here.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: Will the new design be released tomorrow?

More likely it'll be Thursday. When I know for sure, I will update here.

Alright, because I would finally like to see TFA shrinking.

Loading editor
    • Good!

Loading editor
    • Will modules like the Chat and Forum ones get the redesign? The Chat one's design is very stylised compared to the Forum one however.

Also, I would personally like seeing avatars and badges integrated into the modules across the board, though that could be done as a sitewide customization.

Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote: Will modules like the Chat and Forum ones get the redesign? The Chat one's design is very stylised compared to the Forum one however.

I just talked to our designers and yes, those modules are being redesigned as well. We are redesigning:

• Recent Wiki Activity
      • Trending Fandom Articles
      • Chat
      • Forum Activity
      • Related Threads (for Forum)

All of those will have the new theming that you can see in the first post of this thread.

The Community Page link will also be integrated into Recent Wiki Activity, rather than having its own module. Here's a mock of what that will look like:

Recent Wiki Activity with Community Page

Everything is random in that mock, so of course once you see it on your community it will show the most recent edits, the avatars of the 6 most recently active editors in the last week, and the wiki's name. It will also adopt the wiki's color scheme.

Loading editor
    • Nice, some Community Page integration. The only user customisation I've ever seen to the chat module is one that turns the userbox into a list.

Having the modules look similar to new integrations like the Community Page contributor modal and the Discussions Insights page would be nice :)

Loading editor
    • What about the Popular Blogs Module?

Loading editor
    • I thought I read a while back they were planning on killing that due to not enough Wiki's using it and wanting to use the time on other things. I could be wrong though

Loading editor
    • Ah, I use it :/

Loading editor
    • Yeah I think it was discussed in another discussion about something they stopped using recently. I didn't agree with it either because it was being used on a couple thousand wiki's. The argument was that it as well as several other things (including the one you mention I believe) were being phased out. My argument is the developers pretty much deploy and let stuff die with virtually no updates or changes after that anyway, so deleting an item that is being used pretty widely with the argument that it saves the developers time is pretty stupid. I think it was the discussion about polling. I'll see if I can find it.

Loading editor
    • I think Fandom articles are basically the excuse to phase out support for user blogs. I don't agree with it either, but it is pretty clear that is the internal rationale.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote: I just talked to our designers and yes, those modules are being redesigned as well. We are redesigning:

• Recent Wiki Activity
      • Chat
      • Forum Activity

All of those will have the new theming that you can see in the first post of this thread.

The Community Page link will also be integrated into Recent Wiki Activity, rather than having its own module. Here's a mock of what that will look like:

Everything is random in that mock, so of course once you see it on your community it will show the most recent edits, the avatars of the 6 most recently active editors in the last week, and the wiki's name. It will also adopt the wiki's color scheme.

Nice. Just a question. How will the Forum Activity and the Chat modules will look like? And if I added the Discussions Module, how can I make it look similar to the new Community Page module?

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote: I just talked to our designers and yes, those modules are being redesigned as well. We are redesigning:

• Recent Wiki Activity
      • Chat
      • Forum Activity

Nice. Just a question. How will the Forum Activity and the Chat modules will look like? And if I added the Discussions Module, how can I make it look similar to the new Community Page module?

Ok

Loading editor
    • Brandon, what about the profile modules such as the achievements and watched pages? Will they be touched?

Loading editor
    • Roseofwales wrote:

Brandon, what about the profile modules such as the achievements and watched pages? Will they be touched?

Achievements is being deprecated, so I doubt they will work on that.

Loading editor
    • Watched pages list of many people are hidden. When wiki doesn't use chat and achievements, the Right Rail is empty - will Wikia add some elements there? For example: user informations, user stats, favourite wikis, recent user's activity... Not all elements from actual userpage header should be moved, but a lot of them will look better in Rail - in my opinion, of course.

You can also change - last time - achievements' look to be more compact, because they're much longer than a lot of userpages and I have to scrool because of them.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Roseofwales wrote:

Brandon, what about the profile modules such as the achievements and watched pages? Will they be touched?

That is wrong

Loading editor
    • Pirr wrote:

When wiki doesn't use chat and achievements, the Right Rail is empty - will Wikia add some elements there? For example: user informations, user stats, favourite wikis, recent user's activity...

We don't have any plans for that sort of info, but we'll have a Wiki Modernization blog that touches on the right rail next week.

Loading editor
    • I think, it will be just a few more ads.

Loading editor
    • Railfail536 wrote: I think, it will be just a few more ads.

We're not adding more ads. The point of Wiki Modernization is to remove ads.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

Railfail536 wrote: I think, it will be just a few more ads.

Yes, but it will make it on the wiki on the subject of X, there will be "ads" on the subject of Y.

Example:
      Right Rail Updates (rail)
        Loading editor
    • Railfail536 wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

Yes, but it will make it on the wiki on the subject of X, there will be "ads" on the subject of Y.

Example:

He's right

Loading editor
    • Railfail536 wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

Example:

This module with Fandom-related ads was added earlier - similar scripts is used by some wiki farms, for example Gamepedia - but it's not available on Polish communities you edit. That's why you think Wikia will add more ads.

In my opinion this version of the TFA module is better, because it's less space-consuming, so Wikia can offer more space for another elements and ads won't as dominating layout as earlier.

Loading editor
    • Pirr wrote:

Railfail536 wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

Yes, but it will make it on the wiki on the subject of X, there will be "ads" on the subject of Y. Example:
      This module with Fandom-related ads was added earlier - similar scripts is used by some wiki farms, for example Gamepedia - but it's not available on Polish communities you edit. That's why you think Wikia will add more ads.

In my opinion this version of the TFA module is better, because it's less space-consuming, so Wikia can offer more space for another elements and ads won't as dominating layout as earlier.

Yeah,  totally agree.

We really need some more space 

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Roseofwales wrote:

Brandon, I realize this is a bit off this topic so maybe it would be better to split this issue into a seperate discussion, but can we get a list of all the modules that Wikia staff plan to deprecate in the near/semi near future? It would be nice to know now so that we in the communities can either: a) present a compelling argument for why it should be kept or b) so we stop wasting time updating something that is going away.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote:

Brandon,

I realize this is a bit off this topic so maybe it would be better to split this issue into a seperate discussion, but can we get a list of all the modules that Wikia staff plan to deprecate in the near/semi near future? It would be nice to know now so that we in the communities can either: a) present a compelling argument for why it should be kept or b) so we stop wasting time updating something that is going away.

I wish you luck with your request.

Loading editor
    • Ok as long as it  doesn't bother other peoples buissnes :)

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Reguyla wrote:

Brandon,

I realize this is a bit off this topic so maybe it would be better to split this issue into a seperate discussion, but can we get a list of all the modules that Wikia staff plan to deprecate in the near/semi near future? It would be nice to know now so that we in the communities can either: a) present a compelling argument for why it should be kept or b) so we stop wasting time updating something that is going away.

I wish you luck with your request.

I know it's a long shot but I figure it's worth asking just in case there is a desire for transparency and to work with the communities collaboratively on a solution.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote:

...just in case there is a desire for transparency and to work with the communities collaboratively on a solution.

Just in case.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea
      Brandon Rhea removed this reply because:
      Spam
      04:06, April 12, 2017
    • Brandon Rhea
      Inappropriate comment
    • Brandon Rhea
      Inappropriate comment
    • Brandon Rhea
      Inappropriate comment
      04:05, April 12, 2017
    • oh

Loading editor
    • I don't like it... I like my current design. Can I keep it ;)

Loading editor
    • SJ2305 wrote: oh

Rude

Loading editor
    • K175UN3 7 wrote: I don't like it... I like my current design. Can I keep it ;)

Yeah, but don't you find Trending Fandom Articles annoying? Because it has been a problem ever since its introduction, and the Fandom Staff finally did a decent change to it.

But the thing is, all wikis will get this change, so it won't work.

Loading editor
    • It didn't even catch my eye leafy. I just don't like it when things change.

Loading editor
    • K175UN3 7 wrote: It didn't even catch my eye leafy. I just don't like it when things change.

Yeah. To me, some changes are good, and for the bad changes... Well, you need to adapt.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea
      Inappropriate comment
      15:55, April 12, 2017
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Reguyla wrote:

...just in case there is a desire for transparency and to work with the communities collaboratively on a solution.

Just in case.

Lol, yeah that came out wrong. It sounds way worse than intended. I probably should have said something like assuming instead of just in case.

Loading editor
    • OK

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Kirkburn states that the rail updates are coming next week to allow for final testing and polishing.

Loading editor
    • INSTANTLY got this message when reading the Chat Rules

Loading editor
    • UPDATE: The rail changes will go live next Thursday, April 20th!

Loading editor
    • .--------------------------.

Loading editor
    • Diep.imheretoo wrote: .--------------------------.

They changed the date of the release for polishing and for the final touches.

Loading editor
    • Woah what? That's quite some time to wait. I would have liked to see what I'm working with a little earlier. But I digress, so long as you're polishing it and improving it I'm on the whole okay with the longer duration.

Loading editor
    • Dragonleaf5678 wrote: Woah what? That's quite some time to wait. I would have liked to see what I'm working with a little earlier. But I digress, so long as you're polishing it and improving it I'm on the whole okay with the longer duration.

Me too. Also, to me, less people would complain about trending fandom articles.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Me too. Also, to me, less people would leave Wikia because of trending fandom articles being shrunk.

People aren't leaving Wikia because of that, and if so they're cutting off the nose to spite the face. All you have to do is display: none; it in your personal.css file, and if they really cared that much I'm sure people would ask up on how to do that if unsure. Sure, I've heard people complain about it (myself included), but nothing as drastic as leaving the site altogether. If I'm being brutally honest I forgot it even existed until now because I removed it so long ago.

Loading editor
    • Dragonleaf5678 wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: Me too. Also, to me, less people would leave Wikia because of trending fandom articles being shrunk.

People aren't leaving Wikia because of that, and if so they're cutting off the nose to spite the face. All you have to do is display: none; it in your personal.css file, and if they really cared that much I'm sure people would ask up on how to do that if unsure. Sure, I've heard people complain about it (myself included), but nothing as drastic as leaving the site altogether. If I'm being brutally honest I forgot it even existed until now because I removed it so long ago.

You're right, I guess. But hey, with this change, there would be less TFA complaints.

Loading editor
    • You're right, I guess. But hey, with this change, there would be less TFA complaints.

True, true. I wish more people knew how easy it is just to change things by tinkering with a little CSS here and there.

Loading editor
    • Most people don't have accounts (let alone going to tinker with CSS). The current TFA module was poorly thought out for smaller pages as it just created a large section of whitespace below articles.

Loading editor
    • Has the new code already been thought of? If it has, can you leave the new CSS coding on my message wall please, as I own several wikis with custom CSS? Thanks

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Dragonleaf5678 wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: Me too. Also, to me, less people would leave Wikia because of trending fandom articles being shrunk.

You're right, I guess. But hey, with this change, there would be less TFA complaints.

Most of the complaints I have received from people stem from adds or other things like surveys blocking out the article and making it hard to read, especially on mobile. So any changes that can be made to make the site more viewable and less of a fluster cluck would be just grand.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote:

JustLeafy wrote:

Dragonleaf5678 wrote:

Most of the complaints I have received from people stem from adds or other things like surveys blocking out the article and making it hard to read, especially on mobile. So any changes that can be made to make the site more viewable and less of a fluster cluck would be just grand.

Yeah. I will guarantee that this change, along with the ad reduction will make this place much better. For the registered and the anonymous users.

Loading editor
    • Hey all. We're releasing these changes tomorrow. One quick update is in regards to the Trending Fandom Articles module. The redesigned header will go live, but the size is going to remain the same as it has been—at least for now. We're going to A/B test that change after all, and those tests will go live soon. If we're satisfied with the engagement results then we anticipate the change that we showed you here will go live in a few weeks. We'll keep you updated!

Loading editor
    • NO! Why? Practically the one point I was looking for as it's long overdue. I thought we were finally moving in the right direction.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote: NO! Why? Practically the one point I was looking for as it's long overdue. I thought we were finally moving in the right direction.

What are you saying? Explain.

Loading editor
    • Well that's a bummer.

Loading editor
    • Sigh...

Loading editor
    • I don't get what DEmersonJMFM was on about.

Loading editor
    • The TFA module was going to get smaller, but they pulled back that change.

Loading editor
    • I wouldn't be surprised if making the TFA items smaller without constraining the titles unduly, as above, increases the number of items visible and the engagement they recieve in total.

Loading editor
    • Literally almost half of this entire thread was everyone pushing for the removal of Trending Fandom Articles, vehemently. Now this sentiment is not only disregarded, but completely rolled over in the exact opposite direction; like pipelines over a national reserve forest that was finally starting to regrow.

Loading editor
    • Yep, that's how Wikia seems to roll. Ask for something and you are either ignored or the feature is deprecated. Comment on something that they want, ignored! Pretty much why I don't bother reporting problems here. Not much point unfortunately.

Loading editor
    • Well trending fandom articles mainly dont even relate to your wiki but i think it really helps wikia get more views only in comics/movies/games sort of stuff. There's no diversity in the trending fandom articles. Just like i said, either comic/movie/game - related articles which has nothing to do with some wikis e.g. (cartoon show wiki, music wiki, fashion wiki etc.) & it just looks like a shifty ad

Loading editor
    • oh BTW can we PLEASE have the Halloween Costume Design competition again? THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!! http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Acardwell415/Wikia%27s_Halloween_Costume_Contest_2013

Loading editor
    • Oh you're completely right I don't really use it or several other features. One reason is I don't really like how several interact or are covered up with ads or other material but also because I don't want to invest time in keeping something updated and have it get removed because the Wikia devs don't want to update it anymore. The biggest problem I have seen in the past is that they deploy these changes and then forget about them. They don't fix problems, they don't make improvements, they just move on. That's not a very effective or professional way to run a website or application. So, the way I deal with that is I only use the ones that really benefit the site or that I feel will be maintained properly.

Loading editor
    • FFS, at least give us one reason why you won't shrink TFA right now. The suggested size of TFA could've made a lot less complaints about it. Seriously? Now this thread is soon going to be full of hate. Thanks, Wikia.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote: Oh you're completely right I don't really use it or several other features. One reason is I don't really like how several interact or are covered up with ads or other material but also because I don't want to invest time in keeping something updated and have it get removed because the Wikia devs don't want to update it anymore. The biggest problem I have seen in the past is that they deploy these changes and then forget about them. They don't fix problems, they don't make improvements, they just move on. That's not a very effective or professional way to run a website or application. So, the way I deal with that is I only use the ones that really benefit the site or that I feel will be maintained properly.

I hate it when an official announcement said that TFA will have its size shrunk, but at the last minute, they decided to keep it the same size. Seriously? TFA is one of the main reasons why people hate Wikia (not including me, I love Wikia, but some features make this site look ridiculous).

Loading editor
    • Don't kudos other people without proof and evidence and use the worf TEEL.

Topic Sentence

Explantation

Evidence

Linking Sentence to sum up the document or writing.

Thanks for the good kudos

Loading editor
    • Eli Shane 2105 wrote: Don't kudos other people without proof and evidence and use the worf TEEL.

Topic Sentence

Explantation

Evidence

Linking Sentence to sum up the document or writing.

Thanks for the good kudos

wow someone is a jackass ^

Loading editor
    • New right rail looks pretty good, but chat module looks... strange. Users avsatars are barely visible. Imo modules should not look the same...

Loading editor
    • Content Review, Insights, Community Messages, Top Places (in WikiActivity) and infobox migration modules aren't in the same style as the rest. When do you plan on fixing them?

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:
      Content Review, Insights, Community Messages, Top Places (in WikiActivity) and infobox migration modules aren't in the same style as the rest. When do you plan on fixing them?

And the customized modules like the Discussions modules in Wikitubia and Pixel Gun Wiki.

Loading editor
    • The Following userpage module is also not in the same style.

Loading editor
    • WHAT? NO! Now I can't check the recent wiki activity!

Loading editor
    • Lil' Freddy Fazbear wrote:
      WHAT? NO! Now I can't check the recent wiki activity!

You can still visit it by clicking "Wiki Activity" on the navigation bar, or go to Special:WikiActivity.

Loading editor
    • I realized that right after typing...

Loading editor
    • The wikis are going to be redesigned, but what about the buttons. Apperently the button of the chat changed into the new version, just like what will happen with the edit button and stuff. But what is going to happens with the buttons that I created myself?
      For example: Blayer Bond

Loading editor
    • Blayer Bond wrote:
      The wikis are going to be redesigned, but what about the buttons. Apperently the button of the chat changed into the new version, just like what will happen with the edit button and stuff. But what is going to happens with the buttons that I created myself?
      For example: Blayer Bond

Possibly, they could either remain the same or look like the buttons that are below the new page header (e.g. the new edit button). For now, I could say it will be the first option, since some buttons still look old.

Loading editor
    • You can change it from
      <span class="button">Stuff</span>
      to
      <span class="wds-button">Stuff</span>
      yourself. It would show up as this I don't think they will be changing the style of class="button" anytime soon.
        Loading editor
    • Oh, okay. Thank you both!

Loading editor
    • Also, I made ConsistentModules if somebody needs it.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: FFS, at least give us one reason why you won't shrink TFA right now. The suggested size of TFA could've made a lot less complaints about it. Seriously? Now this thread is soon going to be full of hate. Thanks, Wikia.

Traffic. We decided to test the change first so we can ensure that it doesn't negatively impact the traffic that the module brings to news and stories. If the data isn't negatively impacted by the change, then we'll roll it out in a couple of weeks.

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote: Content Review, Insights, Community Messages, Top Places (in WikiActivity) and infobox migration modules aren't in the same style as the rest. When do you plan on fixing them?

I don't have an ETA right now, but redesigning all modules is something we're planning on doing in the near-future.

Loading editor
    • Hey, removing the changes with a little CSS isn't too hard. I'll credit you on that.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: FFS, at least give us one reason why you won't shrink TFA right now. The suggested size of TFA could've made a lot less complaints about it. Seriously? Now this thread is soon going to be full of hate. Thanks, Wikia.

Traffic. We decided to test the change first so we can ensure that it doesn't negatively impact the traffic that the module brings to news and stories. If the data isn't negatively impacted by the change, then we'll roll it out in a couple of weeks.

But the thing is, people actually like the size reduction of TFA. It's the main reason why the right rails update is a benefit to us. The new design to the modules are okay but still...

Loading editor
    • There was no point in adding this so-called "modernisation". Without the borders, it looks ill-defined and a little odd, in my opinion. I do like the chat modifications and things, but overall the changes really weren't what they cracked up to be.

Also, literally the best feature of the new update was shrinking the TFA module.

You didn't shrink the TFA module.

R.I.P.

Loading editor
    • Is it possible to remove the highlightation color of the buttons' text? I tried searching for a way to remove it, but with no luck in css. All what I got is my chosen color contrasted by the defined color that appears when pointing the cursor at the text.

Loading editor
    • Without reading all those comments over here...

Is there a way to undo the mistake you've made bring the old look back...?

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

Regardless of the results of this test, common sense is enough to know this is a problem and is going to need to be addressed somehow.

Whitespace Caused by TFA Module

This example is a 1,300 bytes page. Even with 3,500 bytes + references and the "Related Forum Discussion" section there's still whitespace. Average for wiki - 2,234.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:
      Brandon Rhea wrote:
      Regardless of the results of this test, common sense is enough to know this is a problem and is going to need to be addressed somehow.
      Whitespace Caused by TFA Module

Mhm. Pretty short articles are common in wikis, and TFA's size is the reason why the huge white space exists.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: FFS, at least give us one reason why you won't shrink TFA right now. The suggested size of TFA could've made a lot less complaints about it. Seriously? Now this thread is soon going to be full of hate. Thanks, Wikia.

But the thing is, people actually like the size reduction of TFA. It's the main reason why the right rails update is a benefit to us. The new design to the modules are okay but still...

Quantify the word "people."

Obviously I'm saying that to make a point, and the point is that comments from a handful of users on a forum thread are not indicative of a larger trend. They only represent the opinions of those people. They are important opinions. Stylistically, we agree those opinions. Our goal is the smaller module! But any change we make has to be based on data in addition to user feedback. If the design led to less traffic from wikis to news and stories, that's not a smart change and we'd have to reevaluate what any redesign of the module will look like. So if we're going to make this change, we need to make sure we do our due diligence first and make informed decisions.

Loading editor
    • Without knowing the methodology of how you studied the decline in traffic, I remain skeptical. Sometimes independent trends could account for it, but you might think the cause was the design change.

Loading editor
    • I don't really see how traffic could be a major issue anyways, given that the exact same articles (plus a couple more) also appear in the Fan Feed at the bottom. It's not like removing the TFA module or making it smaller completely makes it inaccessible to those who want to read them.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Without knowing the methodology of how you studied the decline in traffic, I remain skeptical. Sometimes independent trends could account for it, but you might think the cause was the design change.

To clarify, there hasn't been a decline in traffic. We're going to A/B test the smaller module to make sure there isn't a decline in traffic.

ΜΖD wrote: I don't really see how traffic could be a major issue anyways, given that the exact same articles (plus a couple more) also appear in the Fan Feed at the bottom. It's not like removing the TFA module or making it smaller completely makes it inaccessible to those who want to read them.

Trending Fandom Articles are seen by readers at the top of the page, whereas for the Fan Feed you have to get to the bottom of the page. Not everyone makes it that far.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

Honestly reducing the size will "increase" traffic. Of course it will take a little time for people to figure out i's changed. As others have stated, the majority of people don't like the way it's displayed, so reducing it will improve the experience of using the site for the better.

Loading editor
    • I personally wouldn't hide it if the module was designed at a reasonable size.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

Honestly reducing the size will "increase" traffic. Of course it will take a little time for people to figure out i's changed. As others have stated, the majority of people don't like the way it's displayed, so reducing it will improve the experience of using the site for the better.

If it increases traffic, the data will show that in the A/B test. If we make this change, it will be an informed change.

Loading editor
    • I guess time will tell. But testing something like this isn't going to be realized quickly, it will take time.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote: I guess time will tell. But testing something like this isn't going to be realized quickly, it will take time.

Usually it only takes a couple of weeks to get enough data for statistical significance.

Loading editor
    • In most instances that's true. But if people are not using the site because they don't like how things display, then it will take time for them to come around again and learn it's changed. They sure aren't reading these forums and learning about the update. But you could be right. There's really no way to know until you all flick the switch. I still think not doing the most important part of it kinda makes the test pointless though.

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote: In most instances that's true. But if people are not using the site because they don't like how things display, then it will take time for them to come around again and learn it's changed. They sure aren't reading these forums and learning about the update. But you could be right. There's really no way to know until you all flick the switch. I still think not doing the most important part of it kinda makes the test pointless though.

What do you mean by "not doing the most important part of it"? Do you mean shrinking the size of the module? We're doing that in the test.

When we start the test, 50% of visitors will see the current large version of the module. That's what's known as the control group. It's the group where their interaction with the site doesn't change because they're getting the same experience they had been getting. The other 50% of visitors will see the smaller version of the module. This is the test group.

Once we get enough data, we'll be able to compare the two groups. From there we can see if visitor behavior changed at all in the test group. Do they click on articles more than their control group counterparts? Do they click less? Does it not change anything at all?

If they clicked on it more or it didn't change traffic at all, then we would consider that a successful test and release the change to all visitors. If they clicked on articles less, we'd have to revaluate the design.

We'll know more in a couple of weeks!

Loading editor
    • That's just it. It doesn't matter what we say or want you all are going to do whatever you want to do anyway so there's really no point in me continuing to comment on it anymore.

It doesn't matter that not one person has ever said they like the larger version, so making a control group for something like that is pointless. If you find that it didn't have the result you wanted you could just revert it back in a month.

Aside from that yeah you're right, we'll know in a couple weeks.

Loading editor
    • The "top contributors this week" list featured in the new sidebar is broken. Does it exclude admins from the list? Cause I've been soloing a wiki for months and now some randos coughed once on the wiki and are displayed as top contributors with just one edit, while I who am doing everything and definitively have more edits am not listed.

Loading editor
    • 87.178.104.123 wrote: The "top contributors this week" list featured in the new sidebar is broken. Does it exclude admins from the list? Cause I've been soloing a wiki for months and now some randos coughed once on the wiki and are displayed as top contributors with just one edit, while I who am doing everything and definitively have more edits am not listed.

Special:Contact/bug

Loading editor
    • I confirmed it isn't working for me either. In fact, it appears many of the Insights reports aren't working.

Loading editor
    • I don't visit a lot of wikis, but I haven't seen any (fandom) wiki yet where the popular insight works. It's zero every time.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, it's a bug, it has been reported, and in theory, there is a fix. If it isn't fixed next week, report it again.

Loading editor
    • Could you please bring back the button of recent activity on the right rail? I am not used to having to use the bar on the top.

I didn't know modernizing things meant less convienience...

Loading editor
    • Stop releasing things bits by bits, and only on a few wikis, that's racist. Give us all of the new designs already, if someone doesn't like it then add an option to disable it, for now.

Loading editor
    • Mrox2 wrote:
      Stop releasing things bits by bits, and only on a few wikis, that's racist. Give us all of the new designs already, if someone doesn't like it then add an option to disable it, for now.

This feature is already added in all of the wikis. However, an option to disable it would be nice.

Loading editor
    • Blayer Bond wrote:
      I don't visit a lot of wikis, but I haven't seen any (fandom) wiki yet where the popular insight works. It's zero every time.

Same here. That is, Popular Insights on my main wiki has been reporting zeros. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but damn - guess I ought to report it as a bug. It didn't used to be this way so I have to assume there's something going on with the recent rollouts. 

Looks like a couple people mentioned that the special contributors list in Special:Community is inaccurate when it comes to edits? That's been the case for me long before the recent modernization updates. I mostly solo edit my main wiki, and the majority of the time Special:Community claims that there have been 'no contributions' that week when that was patently not the case. Once in a while it does list me, but mostly not. 

I reported that more than once to Staff, and each time it was fixed...but obviously only temporarily. It's still happening. Eventually you just stop reporting it because the fixes are never permanent. I didn't report them out of a sense of personal outrage or anything - I figured that maybe, just maybe, this site would care about such a bug and want to fix it. 

Maybe I sounded a little bitter just now, but I can't help but wonder how many other people have experienced the same bug for months like me?

Hold on...actually I remember that soon after Special:Community was rolled out a lot of admins were reporting that they weren't featured in the contributions sidebar (I'm a bureaucrat/admin myself). So that was an actual acknowledged issue at one point. I just don't know if this is the same issue or if something else is the source.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:
      Mrox2 wrote:
      Stop releasing things bits by bits, and only on a few wikis, that's racist. Give us all of the new designs already, if someone doesn't like it then add an option to disable it, for now.
      This feature is already added in all of the wikis. However, an option to disable it would be nice.

It should be the same for all wikis, so they can be recognized. I don't really like it, but I don't know how to tell what I think about it, because English is not my native language. It doesn't look "bad" or "ugly", but I do prefer the previous version.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:
      Mrox2 wrote:

I have no problem with the side bar / rail update. I'm talking about the article page and header designs, how come we get updated right rail and not the actual header and article page designs? it looks butchered up now. They better get their things together.

Loading editor
    • Lil' Freddy Fazbear wrote: Could you please bring back the button of recent activity on the right rail? I am not used to having to use the bar on the top.

Not a button, but adds a Recent Changes link above Wiki Activity in the Explore menu.

Put the following in Special:MyPage/wikia.js:

/* Add Recent Changes menu item link to Explore menu before Wiki Activity on modernized navigation */
      $(function () {
      	$('li.pph-local-nav-explore > ul.pph-local-nav-sub-menu > li.pph-local-nav-item-l2:first-child').not('#RC').before('<li class="pph-local-nav-tracking pph-local-nav-item-l2" id="RC"><a href="/wiki/Special:RecentChanges" data-tracking="explore-recentchanges">Recent Changes</a></li>');
      });

Loading editor
    • Mrox2 wrote:
      JustLeafy wrote:
      Mrox2 wrote:
      I have no problem with the side bar / rail update. I'm talking about the article page and header designs, how come we get updated right rail and not the actual header and article page designs? it looks butchered up now. They better get their things together.

Oh. Well, I do hate it that only a certain amount of wikis got it. In the wiki that I mostly go in, I made a poll if the wiki should enter the page header testing. Most of them liked it (25 voted for yes, 2 voted for no), and I even contacted the staff about it. They answered, but no change has affected to the page header.

Anyways, it's not really a big problem because the least that will happen is that new page headers will be released in a few weeks (probably like 3 or 4 weeks).

Loading editor
    • We expect the new page header to be released in 2-3 weeks. While the test was running, the team focused on other modernization work such as the right rail updates. They are now focused on building the page header as a final product, rather than just a test.

Loading editor
    • Lil' Freddy Fazbear wrote: Could you please bring back the button of recent activity on the right rail? I am not used to having to use the bar on the top.

Okay, changing the button to point to Recent Changes wasn't that hard. This is the one above the right rail (not in it) to the right of ADD.

/* Change upper right jaggy button to go to Recent Changes and not Wiki Activity on modernized navigation */
      $(function () {
      	$('.pph-admin-tools-wiki-activity').replaceWith('<a href="/wiki/Special:RecentChanges" class="pph-hollow-button pph-admin-tools-recent-changes" title="Recent Changes"><svg width="16" height="16" viewBox="0 0 16 16" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"><path d="M3.175 14c-.488 0-.948-.229-1.236-.622l-1.65-2.25a1.484 1.484 0 0 1 .343-2.094 1.537 1.537 0 0 1 2.127.338l.24.328 3.03-5.422a1.523 1.523 0 0 1 1.244-.774 1.517 1.517 0 0 1 1.329.622l1.511 2.068L13.141.778A1.534 1.534 0 0 1 15.21.187a1.487 1.487 0 0 1 .6 2.037l-4.19 7.5a1.523 1.523 0 0 1-1.243.773 1.515 1.515 0 0 1-1.33-.622l-1.51-2.069-3.028 5.417A1.524 1.524 0 0 1 3.175 14"></path></svg></a>');
      });

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:
      We expect the new page header to be released in 2-3 weeks. While the test was running, the team focused on other modernization work such as the right rail updates. They are now focused on building the page header as a final product, rather than just a test.

Oh, cool. Are you implementing one of my suggestions in it?

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:
      We expect the new page header to be released in 2-3 weeks. While the test was running, the team focused on other modernization work such as the right rail updates. They are now focused on building the page header as a final product, rather than just a test.

Oh, cool. Are you implementing one of my suggestions in it?

I don't remember what your suggestions were, but when we release it we will talk about the tweaks we made from the test version to the final product.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Lil' Freddy Fazbear wrote: Could you please bring back the button of recent activity on the right rail? I am not used to having to use the bar on the top.

Okay, changing the button to point to Recent Changes wasn't that hard. This is the one above the right rail (not in it) to the right of ADD.

/* Change upper right jaggy button to go to Recent Changes and not Wiki Activity on modernized navigation */
      $(function () {
      	$('.pph-admin-tools-wiki-activity').replaceWith('<a href="/wiki/Special:RecentChanges" class="pph-hollow-button pph-admin-tools-recent-changes" title="Recent Changes"><svg width="16" height="16" viewBox="0 0 16 16" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"><path d="M3.175 14c-.488 0-.948-.229-1.236-.622l-1.65-2.25a1.484 1.484 0 0 1 .343-2.094 1.537 1.537 0 0 1 2.127.338l.24.328 3.03-5.422a1.523 1.523 0 0 1 1.244-.774 1.517 1.517 0 0 1 1.329.622l1.511 2.068L13.141.778A1.534 1.534 0 0 1 15.21.187a1.487 1.487 0 0 1 .6 2.037l-4.19 7.5a1.523 1.523 0 0 1-1.243.773 1.515 1.515 0 0 1-1.33-.622l-1.51-2.069-3.028 5.417A1.524 1.524 0 0 1 3.175 14"></path></svg></a>');
      });

Is it possible to make it a site-wide change?

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Is it possible to make it a site-wide change?

It can only be changed in your personal CSS/JS.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: Is it possible to make it a site-wide change?

It can only be changed in your personal CSS/JS.

Oh.

Loading editor
    • One of the bugs the new header has that needs to be fixed before they roll it out is that Preview of MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation is very broken. The changes get applied, but preview just shows a blank box (I just checked it). It would also be nice if they added back the link to edit MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation which got removed.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      One of the bugs the new header has that needs to be fixed before they roll it out is that Preview of MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation is very broken. The changes get applied, but preview just shows a blank box (I just checked it). It would also be nice if they added back the link to edit MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation which got removed.

Since they intend to remove the contribute button, I wanted to add a pencil, located at the bottom left corner of the page header, which is used for editing the wiki navigation.

Loading editor
    • I found the "see more activity" link being part of the recent activity feed to be extremely handy at its previous location. If you saw some articles had been updated by a user, the link was right there to click to see if they'd done many more.

Loading editor
    • I agree.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:
      One of the bugs the new header has that needs to be fixed before they roll it out is that Preview of MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation is very broken. The changes get applied, but preview just shows a blank box (I just checked it). It would also be nice if they added back the link to edit MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation which got removed.

Since they intend to remove the contribute button, I wanted to add a pencil, located at the bottom left corner of the page header, which is used for editing the wiki navigation.

A pencil icon to the right of Discuss, might be better. The bottom left of the header would be where the wordmark is on the modernized header.

Loading editor
    • ThatSlowTypingGuy wrote: I found the "see more activity" link being part of the recent activity feed to be extremely handy at its previous location. If you saw some articles had been updated by a user, the link was right there to click to see if they'd done many more.

That was used by a very, very small number of people, so it was ultimately taking up space in the module that could be used for items that would be helpful to a larger amount of people - such as a link to the Community Page, showing readers how they can get involved.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote: That was used by a very, very small number of people

And where are your statistics generated? That sounds a little fishy, to be honest...

Loading editor
    • Our Product team has the ability to track all clicks on any given aspect of the site. If there's a button for something, we know how many times it's being clicked. Click tracking is standard on any web company.

Loading editor
    • Wikia doesn't share statistics. That one in particular doesn't sound false to me, if you really wanted to monitor a wiki's activity you'd either use RecentChanges or WikiActivity, not a random module appearing in the Rail that lists only 4 edits to articles and without a script that makes auto-refreshing it possible.

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote: Wikia doesn't share statistics. That one in particular doesn't sound false to me, if you really wanted to monitor a wiki's activity you'd either use RecentChanges or WikiActivity, not a random module appearing in the Rail that lists only 4 edits to articles and without a script that makes auto-refreshing it possible.

Well, to be honest, that's exactly what I do. I'm only active on smaller wikis where there aren't so many editors, and usually the Recent Wiki Activity module is enough to tell me what's going on. I use that link a lot, and it's sad to see it go.

Loading editor
    • Then again, there's w:c:dev:SeeMoreActivityButton I guess.

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote: Then again, there's w:c:dev:SeeMoreActivityButton I guess.

Even the fact that this is presented as optional is a bad thing.

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:
      Then again, there's w:c:dev:SeeMoreActivityButton I guess.

I just love your work.

Loading editor

KockaAdmiralac wrote: Then again, there's w:c:dev:SeeMoreActivityButton I guess.

At least it is still possible to have that feature, so be happy with it.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:
      That was used by a very, very small number of people, so it was ultimately taking up space in the module that could be used for items that would be helpful to a larger amount of people - such as a link to the Community Page, showing readers how they can get involved.

I can respect the decision to remove a feature that wasn't being used on many other wiki's. If true, that should be enough.

But claiming that it was taking up space when the replacement leaves just as much empty space between it and the Fandom Bar? That's just doesn't seem like a very good excuse.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Lil' Freddy Fazbear wrote:

KockaAdmiralac wrote: Then again, there's w:c:dev:SeeMoreActivityButton I guess.

At least it is still possible to have that feature, so be happy with it.

That's right. I just added it.

Loading editor
    • ThatSlowTypingGuy wrote:

Brandon Rhea wrote:

I can respect the decision to remove a feature that wasn't being used on many other wiki's. If true, that should be enough.

But claiming that it was taking up space when the replacement leaves just as much empty space between it and the Fandom Bar? That's just doesn't seem like a very good excuse.

What I mean is, if a feature isn't being used, then it's just taking up space that could be used for something else. In this case, a link to the Community Page, which is a lighter touch entry point for potential new contributors. It also removes code that doesn't serve a wide use, which is something that engineers prefer to do instead of maintaining code that is only used by a small fraction of people.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

What I mean is, if a feature isn't being used, then it's just taking up space that could be used for something else. In this case, a link to the Community Page, which is a lighter touch entry point for potential new contributors. It also removes code that doesn't serve a wide use, which is something that engineers prefer to do instead of maintaining code that is only used by a small fraction of people.

Does this mean some sort of link is going to return?

Also, if the heading (like Recent Wiki Activity or Forum Activity) of the module were a link, it wouldn't take up any space at all.

Loading editor
    • No other modules contain a link in their header, so I guess that would look inconsistent.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

You mean a See More Activity link? No, we have no plans for that. A link to Community Page appears at the bottom of the module for wikis that have a Community Page.

Fandyllic wrote: Also, if the heading (like Recent Wiki Activity or Forum Activity) of the module were a link, it wouldn't take up any space at all.

It wouldn't take up any space, that's true, but it also would be less apparent that it's a link and would likely be used even less. Which still leads to the issue that engineers want to avoid of having to maintain code that is only used for a tiny handful of people.

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

You mean a See More Activity link? No, we have no plans for that. A link to Community Page appears at the bottom of the module for wikis that have a Community Page.

The Special:Community link is really ambiguous... GET STARTED

It took me awhile to figure out that's what it was. Do you have data that shows people actually click this?

Brandon Rhea wrote:

It wouldn't take up any space, that's true, but it also would be less apparent that it's a link and would likely be used even less. Which still leads to the issue that engineers want to avoid of having to maintain code that is only used for a tiny handful of people.

Hmmm... "a tiny handful of people"... like admins?

Loading editor

How?

Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: Also, if the heading (like Recent Wiki Activity or Forum Activity) of the module were a link, it wouldn't take up any space at all.

Doesn't the Vandguard/VSTF folks use tools only a handful of people use? Does that mean they aren't useful? I don't think the argument that only a handful of people use something is a valid argument not to have it.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message