FANDOM


    • This is the post I just made to the tech update announcing IPv6:

      IPv6 support is now live! This means you will start seeing some longer IPv6 IPs in place of IPv4 IPs for anonymous users - however, they will behave much the same. If you spot any problems, please let us know!

      FYI, ISPs typically hand out IPv6 addresses in /64 blocks (in some cases in /48 blocks). So if you see an IPv6 vandal, it's not enough to block his /128 address, because he's got 2^64 (and maybe 2^80) addresses from his ISP.

      In your case, the person you are trying to block is using the address block 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/64, which contains more /128 addresses than you want to block 1 by 1.

        Loading editor
    • On a related topic, I expect we'll all see zillions of questions just like this from people who are unfamiliar with IPv6 and now have to deal with it.

        Loading editor
    • So I just checked ARIN. 2602:300::/24 is AT&T 6RD, which I believe hands out addresses in /48 blocks. It's possible the person doesn't know how to use his entire /48, but, if he does, you actually need to block 2602:306:BDDE::/48.

        Loading editor
    • Cqm

      @Saftzie so it would be better to block an IPv6 vandal with /64 by default? Thus 2602:306:BDDE:1350:D20:16C:61E7:83AE should become 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/64 automatically in an ideal world.

        Loading editor
    • At least a /64. In the case above, it would need to be /48. Blocking an individual /128 is probably useless.

        Loading editor
    • Cqm

      I had a quick glance through enwiki's block log and they seem to be blocking individual IPv6 addresses. However, I'm not sure how range blocks look as they're pretty rare for IPv4.

        Loading editor
    • @Cqm I scrolled through it a little and they have been range blocking persistent vandals seen here. It looks like we should follow suit.

        Loading editor
    • Wikipedia's admins aren't selected for their technical knowledge. I've posted there myself on the futility of blocking individual IPv6 addresses.

      If it's a contest between who's less technically capable, an attacker or a defender, I don't think it's good to bet that the attacker is always going to be less capable, even if it's true some of the time.

      As for how range blocks look in IPv4

      09:55, 15 February 2017 Saftzie (talk | contribs) blocked 185.182.81.0/24 (talk) with an expiration time of 00:00, 15 February 2022 (account creation disabled) (Persistent spam attempts; Proxies; Zenguard)
        Loading editor
    • IPv6 IPs is still attacting the wiki you mentioned before.

        Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote:
      IPv6 IPs is still attacting the wiki you mentioned before.

      Yeah, Wikia wiki admins aren't selected for their technical expertise, either. I'm not saying they necessarily should be, but they're all now going to get a crash course in frustration until they learn at least a little bit about IPv6.

      As for the wiki under attack in the OP, it's still just the one range, so it's probably still just one guy.

        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote:
      HM100 wrote:
      IPv6 IPs is still attacting the wiki you mentioned before.
      Yeah, Wikia wiki admins aren't selected for their technical expertise, either. I'm not saying they necessarily should be, but they're all now going to get a crash course in frustration until they learn at least a little bit about IPv6.

      As for the wiki under attack in the OP, it's still just the one range, so it's probably still just one guy.

      I also have informed Candy Crush Saga Wiki Admins for that

        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote: So I just checked ARIN. 2602:300::/24 is AT&T 6RD, which I believe hands out addresses in /48 blocks. It's possible the person doesn't know how to use his entire /48, but, if he does, you actually need to block 2602:306:BDDE::/48.

      Okay, so how can I block him for good on my wikia? I don't quite understand how these different addresses work.

        Loading editor
      • Go to w:c:animated-spinning:Special:Block.
      • For IP address or username, put in 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60.
      • For Expiration, put in whatever duration you want. I suggest something not infinite, because residential AT&T customers get dynamic addresses. Maybe try a month. If he comes back, you can always make it longer.
      • Set a reason and whatever other options you want.
      • Click the button.

      You can also go back and unblock the /128 addresses that you blocked before. They'll still be blocked by the one you will have just implemented.

        Loading editor
    • In general, when you click on the block link by an IP address, you can always edit the IP address to be a range using range syntax. For most IPv6 addresses, you'd keep the first 4 quads (2602:306:BDDE:1350 hypothetically in this case), then add the IPv6 zero-padding (::), and the length of the bit mask (/64 for 4 quads).

      However, for AT&T, which hands out /60s (I was wrong before. I checked. AT&T hands out /60s, not /48s), you keep the first 3 quads and the first 3 digits of the 4th quad (remember to count leading zeroes), instead of the first 4 quads, then pad with a zero, then use a bit mask length of /60, hence 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60.

      So 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60 means 2602:306:BDDE:1350:0000:0000:0000:0000 through 2602:306:BDDE:135F:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF.

        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote: In general, when you click on the block link by an IP address, you can always edit the IP address to be a range using range syntax. For most IPv6 addresses, you'd keep the first 4 quads (2602:306:BDDE:1350 hypothetically in this case), then add the IPv6 zero-padding (::), and the length of the bit mask (/64 for 4 quads).

      However, for AT&T, which hands out /60s (I was wrong before. I checked. AT&T hands out /60s, not /48s), you keep the first 3 quads and the first 3 digits of the 4th quad (remember to count leading zeroes), instead of the first 4 quads, then pad with a zero, then use a bit mask length of /60, hence 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60.

      So 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60 means 2602:306:BDDE:1350:0000:0000:0000:0000 through 2602:306:BDDE:135F:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF.

      Thank you, I did what you said, so I just need to see if it worked.

        Loading editor
    • MKaiju31 wrote:
      Thank you, I did what you said, so I just need to see if it worked.

      Actually you still only blocked one address, not a range. See w:c:animated-spinning:Special:Log/block. Noreplyz blocked a /64.

        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote:

      MKaiju31 wrote:
      Thank you, I did what you said, so I just need to see if it worked.

      Actually you still only blocked one address, not a range. See w:c:animated-spinning:Special:Log/block. Noreplyz blocked a /64.

      Hey, I did what you told me to do, but I'm not sure if I did it right. It says No matching items in log.

        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote:

      MKaiju31 wrote:
      Thank you, I did what you said, so I just need to see if it worked.

      Actually you still only blocked one address, not a range. See w:c:animated-spinning:Special:Log/block. Noreplyz blocked a /64.

      I didn't do it properly and the troll is back. Can you please guide me on how to do it properly?

        Loading editor
    • MKaiju31 wrote:

      I didn't do it properly and the troll is back. Can you please guide me on how to do it properly?

      Saftzie wrote:
      • Go to w:c:animated-spinning:Special:Block.
      • For IP address or username, put in 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60.
      • For Expiration, put in whatever duration you want. I suggest something not infinite, because residential AT&T customers get dynamic addresses. Maybe try a month. If he comes back, you can always make it longer.
      • Set a reason and whatever other options you want.
      • Click the button.
        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote:
      MKaiju31 wrote:
      I didn't do it properly and the troll is back. Can you please guide me on how to do it properly?
      Saftzie wrote:
      • Go to w:c:animated-spinning:Special:Block.
      • For IP address or username, put in 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60.
      • For Expiration, put in whatever duration you want. I suggest something not infinite, because residential AT&T customers get dynamic addresses. Maybe try a month. If he comes back, you can always make it longer.
      • Set a reason and whatever other options you want.
      • Click the button.

      I'd suggest 6 months when range-blocking IPs.

        Loading editor
    • TheKorraFanatic wrote:
      I'd suggest 6 months when range-blocking IPs.

      ... except this IPv6 range is still only one customer. This range is assigned to his residence. So the range isn't multiple customers.

      6 months is fine, but the guideline to follow would be whatever duration you want to assign to an individual, because that's what this is.

        Loading editor
    • How can you tell it is a home network?

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      How can you tell it is a home network?
      Saftzie wrote:
      So I just checked ARIN. 2602:300::/24 is AT&T 6RD ...
        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote:
      Andrewds1021 wrote:
      How can you tell it is a home network?
      Saftzie wrote:
      So I just checked ARIN. 2602:300::/24 is AT&T 6RD ..

      Ah.

        Loading editor
    • I see. I guess I need to learn more about IPs before being able to understand this stuff.

        Loading editor
    • Saftzie wrote:

      MKaiju31 wrote:

      I didn't do it properly and the troll is back. Can you please guide me on how to do it properly?

      Saftzie wrote:
      • Go to w:c:animated-spinning:Special:Block.
      • For IP address or username, put in 2602:306:BDDE:1350::/60.
      • For Expiration, put in whatever duration you want. I suggest something not infinite, because residential AT&T customers get dynamic addresses. Maybe try a month. If he comes back, you can always make it longer.
      • Set a reason and whatever other options you want.
      • Click the button.

      I did what you wrote, but it said Invalid IP address

        Loading editor
    • Hello - I've cleaned up the pages and blocked the range again.

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote: Hello - I've cleaned up the pages and blocked the range again.

      Thank you very much! :)

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message