FANDOM

• I would like to start by saying that, due to the nature of the event, I am not able to provide direct observation/confirmation for all cases. However, my description of what happens is based on a collection of information/events surrounding what appears to be similar behavior.

Has anyone else noticed that older threads (started 1+ years ago) seem to be automatically removed from the messages dropdown? It has been happening to me for a while now but I bring it up now because it just happened again. Basically, I log in and see my messages count in the corner. I navigate around a few pages (non-threads) and, at some point, the count drops. On a few occasions, it has happened while I sit on the same page having just logged in. While I suppose some of this may be caused by posts being removed, on a limited few occasions, I have had the menu open, seen an old thread, and then have it disappear without doing anything on my end. When I go to the old thread, there actually is a new post.

Of course, since the threads are old, it is rare for them to receive new posts. As such, my dataset is extremely small. Nonetheless, has anyone else noticed this or am I just going crazy? Perhaps this is on purpose; to prevent necro threads?

Examples: Show/Hide

Loading editor
    • If you have got problems with MediaWiki or the site in general please use Special:Contact and contact wikia staff directly. I don't seem to have the same problem you've been experiencing. Maybe its a glitch on Wikia's System.

Loading editor
    • I know actual bugs should be reported to staff; more specifically at Special:Contact/bugs. However, the purpose of this thread was to see if anyone else is experiencing this. If not, then chances are it is just something on my end and contacting staff won't do anything.

Loading editor
    • Well, I was waiting to see if anyone else could confirm/deny this issue. However, I just had some confirmation of my own. A few minutes ago, someone posted on Thread:1239820 which I did previously post on and have been following. I noticed the odd behavior in the message notification count as previously described. Then, I noticed that the thread appeared in the "Forum Activity" rail module. Yet, when I checked my message notifications again, there was still no mention of that thread in the list. I guess I'll just go ahead and contact Wikia to ask about this.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021
      Andrewds1021 removed this reply because:
      moved to original post
      23:52, August 9, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • I'm getting notification from older messages, but I'm facing a strange problem starting from yesterday. And the problem is i'm getting notifications for those messages that i've already read them. I t happen twice till now and if it continue then maybe have to report a S:C/bug.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, that seems to be a separate issue. I think it may have happened to me once or twice a while back. Is your issue the same as this one?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021
      moved to original post
      23:52, August 9, 2017
    • it doesn't happen to me anymore from that day at-least till now.

Loading editor
    • Well, that is good. However, this problem is still happening for me. I already contacted staff and received a reply. I provided them a link to this thread so that is why I keep adding occurrences.

If the occurrence is for a thread not previously mentioned on this thread, I will create a new post. Otherwise, I will simply edit the relevant previous post.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021
      moved to original post
      23:53, August 9, 2017
    • Andrewds1021
      moved to original post
      23:53, August 9, 2017
    • Since my edit on August 20th, I have re-experienced the "notifications for old messages" bug as well as a variant of the bug in my original post. In this variant, a line item still does not display in the message notifications dropdown. However, the notifications count does not automatically update; requiring use of the "Mark All as Read" feature. Both bugs only happened once. Based on the recent changes, I am guessing the new message not displayed in the dropdown was this.

Loading editor
    • Woudld be nice if the notifications were collected or sorts and can be viewed in one place.

Loading editor
    • What do you mean? They are collected in the drop-down. For those that have emails enabled, I am assuming the notifications appear in those as well.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: What do you mean? They are collected in the drop-down. For those that have emails enabled, I am assuming the notifications appear in those as well.

As someone who has email enabled for the platform, I can confirm that they do indeed appear there as well.

Loading editor
    • For anyone reading this later on. I am still having this issue. I also just had another instance of the other issue mentioned by Clash.Bikash in #6. The post was 5 days ago.

Edit:

Also, these older threads seem to no longer get pushed up on the boards. Again, not sure if this might be intentional. I still haven't heard anything additional from Wikia. They are probably too busy with everything else at the moment.

Loading editor
    • This problem seemed to be resolved in early October 2017 but is now back.

Examples: Show/Hide

Thread:953643

Andrewds1021 Message Notifications Bug 2018-01-04-21-35

Thread:923573

Andrewds1021 Message Notifications Bug 2018-01-05-19-44

Thread:1352777

Andrewds1021 Message Notifications Bug 2018-01-09-05-01 Andrewds1021 Message Notifications Bug 2018-01-09-09-41 Andrewds1021 Message Notifications Bug 2018-01-10-22-54

Thread:1360498

Andrewds1021 Message Notifications Bug 2018-01-09-09-42-1

Thread:1298488

The screenshot actually shows the deletion of a new post but there was also a prior new post about 20 hours before which I also did not get a notification for.

Andrewds1021 Message Notifications Bug 2018-01-09-09-42-1

Loading editor
    • I've noticed this happen as well, and there is definitely something strange going on. I'd send in a Special:Contact again if you haven't recently, perhaps with a link to this thread, as this seems to be a recurring issue that has been happening for well over a year.

Have you tried unfollowing and refollowing threads? I'm not sure if this changes anything but it's worth a shot.

Loading editor
    • That sounds like a good idea. Whatever they did to fix it in the past is clearly no longer enough. I was already considering re-submitting this issue but was planning on collecting some more "evidence" first.

I hadn't thought of trying to re-follow the threads. The issue is you don't know which ones you need to do that for since, by nature of the issue, you don't know that someone has made a new post. That, combined with the fact that it isn't reasonable to periodically re-follow every thread you have ever contributed to.

I usually detect these things when 1) I happen to recognize the thread in the "Forum Activity" module or 2) the count in the bubble loads correctly upon login but suddenly decreases.

I didn't get a notification for your reply, but I'll try out your re-following idea on this thread.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I didn't get a notification for your reply, but I'll try out your re-following idea on this thread.

Yeah, it's really inconsistent - I've been getting notifications for threads like the Discussions one and this one too.

Loading editor
    • Nope, I didn't get a notification for your reply.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message