FANDOM

• We have 2,281 videos on Muppet Wiki. On a moderately consistent basis, we come across a video that has been dead for some time. Meaning readers have been coming across pages with videos that don't work, which reflects bad on us.

Is there a script I can run (preferably through AWB, but I'm open to other methods) that will look at all the video description pages, check to see if the video embed still works, and report back the ones that don't?

Thanks in advance for any helpĀ :)

Loading editor
    • it is possible by using javascript. unfortunately, i have no idea how to build user interface. so if i even manage to create this script, output will be placed in the console.

Loading editor
    • I'm not that familiar with running javascript. Do you mean output would be generated in something like a command prompt window?

Loading editor
    • Script adds "dead video" button near "edit" button. "page": page to start from, page # u can see in the special:video page. "start\stop" - start\stop page processing (works on whole page, so actual effect will be deferred).

Output:

• top: processed files: file | actual video link
      • bottom: dead files: file | video link

Note: it will false-positive on non-youtube videos. I'd suggest to recheck every "dead" link manually.

How to it works:

• get special:video?page=page
      • parse videos to video id (assumed youtube only)
      • get json from youtube through noembed.com proxy
      • check result

code: deadvideo/code.js

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • This is a bit more advanced than I've done before. I copied the js code over to my personal js file. From where do I run it?

Loading editor
    • You can use it as a bookmarklet.

Code:

javascript:void(importArticles({type:"script",articles:["u:dev:Deadvideo/code.js"]}));

It is a more convenient way, i guess.

Also, check project page on dev: deadvideo.

Loading editor
    • It works! Thanks so much!

Would it be possible to include DailyMotion and Vimeo in the script?

Loading editor
    • Vimeo can be included. Dailymotion does not supported by proxy.

I need some vimeo-based videos integrated to wikia to include vimeo support.

Loading editor
    • Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. This is an incredibly valuable tool.

Loading editor
    • Once script reviewed it will support additional sites. If not, then i really need to see those embedded videos.

Loading editor
    • Gotcha, thanks.

Loading editor
    • Are there any factors that would cause a particular video to not show up when the script is run?

For example, I know this is a dead link, but it doesn't show up when I run the script. Not just in the list of the dead videos on the wiki, it doesn't show up in the full list on the top portion of the script's output either.

The file's never been re-uploaded or moved, and there are no special characters in the filename. I can't seem to identify anything about it that would make it invisible to the DeadVideo script.

Secondly, this comes up as a dead link, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Any help understanding what properties the script looks for would be appreciated. I'm left wondering how many more dead videos there are. Thanks in advanceĀ :)

Loading editor
    • File:Kevin_Clash_and_Elmo_on_Documentary_-_The_Gayle_King_Show_-_Oprah_Winfrey_Network: i presume, there is no such file on special:videos page. idk why.

File:Muchamp_Champignons_Dutch_Mushroom_commercial: for some reasons, noembed.com can't get this video (reported as unautorized). may be there is some restrictions on youtube side, or problems with noembed.com itself.

list of videos comes from special:videos page; video considered alive only if noembed.com consideres it alive. so if some video doesn't shown on special:videos or noembed.com can't access it, or video provider not supported by noembed, then the video will not be processed properly.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for that explanation.

Someone suggested in another thread here on Community that I might try this script. Do you think this is a reasonable alternative?

Loading editor
    • it works via google api, so for youtube video it should work fine. will not work with other providers.

u always may try it.

Loading editor
    • The one on Dev also doesn't find dead links on DailyMotion or Vimeo though, right?

Thanks, I'll give the one on MLP a shot and see how it compares.

Loading editor
    • For anyone else who catches this, the script at MLP is worth trying. As opposed to the Dev script, it uses categories as opposed to Special:Videos, so I'm seeing some different results.

Thanks again for your help.

Loading editor
    • Scarecroe#17
      The one on Dev also doesn't find dead links on DailyMotion or Vimeo though, right?

it has support for both.
        Loading editor
    • Gotcha, thanks.

Loading editor
    • Fngplg wrote: Vimeo can be included.

I need some vimeo-based videos integrated to wikia to include vimeo support.

We have a number of them on Muppet Wiki. Here's a couple:

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message